BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Govt Issued Discount Card for Seniors?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Dennis, shouldn't you be putting the insulation in?

I am. It's itchy so, I'm taking a Pacifico break.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 10:58 AM

Ah! Breakfast of Champions! Maybe we can use the discount card at the Deposito?

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 10:59 AM
Pacifico??????

Count me in..........
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 01:08 PM

Isn't it peculiar how life imitates art? Until today I thought it was Art Buchwald but, I see a more contemporary, practical use for the axiom.
There is a show on TV where the contestants call for help to answer questions and, this is where this frustrating thread has led us, to call our friends for help in filling in the blanks on this issue. [ gawd, I hate that show ]

"I want to call a friend."
"OK, who do you want to call?"

"I want to call Jesse and Fernando."

"Jesse and Fernando? OK. Here goes." ring ring ring ring

"Hi, Jesse and Fernando. This is the world's most annoying game show hostess with some questions from the Nomads. Cool, huh. OK, here we go:

Is this a government sponsored program to assist the needy or is it a buisness promotion? Realizing that today it could be considered both, the question asks why the program was started and who assumes credit for it."

The hostess cranks up her most cloying grin toward the camera and says, "You have one third of a second left."

OK you guys. Add or subtract our questions to the experts and hope that they respond because we just don't know what's going on with this issue.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Count me in..........

You're always in, Terry. Thanks for the living room art. I'm gonna turn it into a shrine.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 01:55 PM

Here's a little something to either muddy the waters or clear things up.

GLOBAL AGING ROUNDTABLE
2005 WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCE ON AGING

Remarks By

Pedro Borda
Director,
National Institute of Senior Citizens,
Ministry of Social Development, Mexico

At present, Mexico has a population of 7.8 million senior citizens, out of which slightly over 50% are women. All of them demand goods and services.

However, the demographic projections indicate that for the year 2025 there will be 18.4 million people 60 years of age or more, and for the year 2050 there will be 36 million.

The above numbers represent actually 7.6% of total population and for year 2050, 28% of the total population.

New Decree

To take care of the needs of our elders, a Presidential Decree was issued by President Vicente Fox on January 17, 2002 to place this institution under the umbrella of the Ministry of Social Development, and to change its name to Instituto Nacional de Adultos en Plenitud (National Institute of Adults in the Prime of Life) or Inaplen.

Legislation

The first Federal National law to protect the rights of senior citizens was enacted by Congress on June 25, 2002 to create the Instituto Nacional de las Personas Adultas Mayores (National Institute of Senior Citizens) or Inapam as a substitute of the former Insen and Inaplen.

Article 25 of this new law confirms that the governing body of the national policy to protect senior citizens by providing a scope of human integral development to its legal powers and responsibilities, because its general purpose is to coordinate, promote, support, foster, oversee and evaluate the public actions, strategies and programs derived from the currently enforced legislation.

Article 28 attributes the power as the governing body for providing compulsory consultation and advisory functions to federal for government entities and, if applicable, on a voluntary basis to the institutions of the social and private sectors responsible for performing actions or programs applicable to senior citizens.

The provisions established in Article 30 indicate that the Government Body of the Inapam is to be integrated by the Ministers of the following members of the President’s Cabinet:

Ministry of Social Development.
Ministry of the Interior
Ministry of Treasury
Ministry of Public Education
Ministry of Health
Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare
Social Security National Institutions
5 representatives of society (Elderly people)

Infrastructure

31 State Federal Representatives.
1,800 Municipal Representations and 139 Coordinating Offices.
6,700 Community Centers at national level.
4 Cultural Centers in Mexico City.
5 Centers of Integrated Services in Mexico City.
13 Gerontology Units
(Mexico City, Guanajuato, Zacatecas and Oaxaca).

Priority Program

The Program for Employment of Senior Citizens was implemented to reincorporate senior citizens who wish to continue working and participate in the Mexican economy. This program was initiated under the support of the First Lady of the nation and the Minister of Social Development. The first meeting was in the Presidential home.

Currently more than 5,100 companies or individuals have contributed offering spaces for more than 30,000 jobs exclusively for Gente Grande (senior citizens).

This is one of the actions to respond to the 2nd. Assembly on Ageing that called for active employment.

Third and Final Call

2nd. action to respond to the 2nd Assembly on Ageing in Spain.
Senior citizens who propose viable productive projects receive financial support from the Third and Final Call. The fund is constituted by the Ministries of Social Development and of Economy.

The Inapam Visits your Community

Mobile units bring medical and dental services, legal advice, affiliation and employment promotion to senior citizens living in marginal areas of Mexico City and rural areas throughout the country.

Youngsters Provide Support to Senior Citizens

This program responds to specific instructions of President Vicente Fox.

An exchange of values is strengthened among the girls of foster homes run by the DIF and senior citizens living at homes operated by Inapam.

Senior Citizens Searching for Friends

This program responds to specific instructions of President Vicente Fox.

This program promotes a get together among senior citizens and juvenile delinquents to achieve a dialogue and a transfer of values through cultural, artistic and sports activities. It is carried out jointly with the Centers for Diagnosis and Treatment of the Department of Public Security.

Senior Citizens Act Stories

This program is another action of values transmítanse. It
takes place at elementary schools and at parks in coordination with the Minister of the Public Function to support the Program of Transparency and Struggle Against Corruption.

Protection of the Economy

I.D. card for people 60 or more years of age.

Senior citizens obtain multiple benefits in the acquisition of goods and services. Discounts in products or services range between 5 to 100% at supermarkets, drugstores, transportation, restaurants, clinical studies, etc.

Agreements have been signed at more than 25,000 establishments to protect the economy of senior citizens. Since the creation of the Institute, 75 million ID cards have been issued in the country.

Department of Legal Services

Provides free legal advice to elders 60 or more years old who lack the economic means to hire a lawyer, mainly in the protection of their properties, birth certificates and wills.

Community Centers

We operate 6,700 clubs for elderly people distributed throughout the country. It is the largest social chain in the country, more than 200,000 people attend daily.

Computer Training Center

After two years of the initiation more than 2,000 senior citizens have completed an 8 week computer course. These training Center were donated by IBM (Mexico). 8 Centers are now operational.

Voluntary Programs

This program is presided over by Adriana Borda, President of the National Voluntary Organization and liaison with the Office of the First Lady.

The ladies’ voluntary organization of Inapam performs various activities in favor of senior citizens, such as permanent visits to homes and day nursing homes, the sale of different goods, and the Annual Art Crafts Bazaar.

Arts Craft Store

The general public can purchase products created by senior citizens, who attend the clubs, cultural centers and day nursing homes.

Main Events

This action responds to the 2nd. World Assembly on Ageing and Active Life

The traditional National Sports and Cultural Games promote health-related activities for senior citizens through the performance of various activities. During the national games of 2005 a total of 3,500 elderly persons participated.

This event for the 5th. Consecutive years have been inaugurated by President Vicente Fox Quesada.

National Exhibition of Art Crafts made by Elderly People

This event is organized every year with the support received from Voluntary organization, delegates, assistant delegates, senior citizens, clubs and nursing homes.

The Night for Gente Grande

Every year, more than 100,000 senior citizens enjoy the pleasures of music and dancing at an event known as The dance to remember.

This event is held at the Sports Palace of Mexico City and it is preceded by two major dances at different political delegations. 1,500 state events are organized in August. This dance was presided over by Mrs. Marta Fox, First Lady of Mexico.

When confronted with an increasing demographic aging rate as that recorded in the country, the challenge faced by Inapam is its commitment to improve the living conditions of the Gente Grande through the programs it has implemented.

New Actions

Major communications program on the law and services provided for elderly people.

Tele Care for Medical Assistance, 24 hours/365 days.

Certification of day care centers and nursing homes (installations and human resources).

Three new computer centers

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by bajabound2005]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 02:00 PM
WoW

Community Centers

We operate 6,700 clubs for elderly people distributed throughout the country. It is the largest social chain in the country, more than 200,000 people attend daily.

Wonder if there are any in our area???..........

DENNIS:....you are most welcome....at least now it has a good home!!!!

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by bajaguy]
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 02:02 PM
gracias, bajabound

i, for one, really appreciate the information you have been providing since your arrival.:spingrin:

i also enjoy your sense of humor. :bounce:

lili
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens
i, for one, really appreciate the information you have been providing since your arrival.:spingrin:

i also enjoy your sense of humor. :bounce:

And she is a good cook!!!...:lol::lol::lol:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 02:24 PM

I, for two, also appreciate your posts & humor...alas, I can't attest to your cooking capabilities!;D Guess I'll just have to believe bajaguy!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 04:02 PM
bajabound 2005

I have heard that you are a good cook and that you share your bounty with other, less well off, expats. You should be complimented for your efforts.

Did you realize when you started this thread that you would expend, to date, 2, 173 words justifying the use of the discount card?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 04:05 PM

Thanks BB.......... Good research. It tells us what it is and why it is.
I still have a problem thinking we expats fit the demographic of the stated plan. We havn't achieved senior citizen status under the conditions that the people in Mexico have. We didn't come up in a society with a repressive government.
Your research shows that the program was put in place to alleve some of the burden placed on the backs of the people by their past. This wasn't our burden and it wasn't our past.
At any rate, how can you see this, in light of your research, as a retail promotion? There's nothing altruistic about commercial promotion but, there is something heartwarming about a government program, regardless of hidden machinations, that will benefit the people which it serves. We expats are not that people.

So, are we in agreement that this is not a double-your-cupon business opportunity? It's not just a method of lureing old folks into a store? It has another grand design? It may have an altruistic basis? It may be for Mexicans that, until this, have been given nothing by their government?

We don't belong in this effort. We can only pollute it. It's a private thing. We don't need it.
Let it go.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Did you realize when you started this thread that you would expend, to date, 2, 173 words justifying the use of the discount card?

Oh my God, Bernie.............did you count them?
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 04:25 PM

No! I wished to be accurate so I copied and pasted and then hit word count button.

Quicker and I didn't have to set down my beer.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 05:06 PM
Accounting 101

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
So, are we in agreement that this is not a double-your-cupon business opportunity? It's not just a method of lureing old folks into a store? It has another grand design? It may have an altruistic basis? It may be for Mexicans that, until this, have been given nothing by their government?

Altruism or not, this program does affect a participating company's tax basis. One could argue that Mexican seniors would receive a transferred benefit. You could not make the same argument v expat retirees.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 05:38 PM

Kudos for the research goes to Beachbum1A; he found that article.

ckiefer
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 05:58 PM
Gov't issued discount card

Please take advantage of any discounts offered you, whether you feel they are earned or not. You can put the money you save into a special account and use it for long term care. You never know (and cannot predict) when your health will decline, and you receive a diagnosis of a progressive degenerative disease, given maybe 5 years to live. Within that five years, three of which you may be wheelchair bound, unable to speak or care for yourself and need 24 hour care.
Living that now. Please be kind to yourselves.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ckiefer
Please be kind to yourselves.

Yours is a pretty gloomy prognosis for those here looking to enjoy retirement years in our adopted country. It sounds almost personal. My condolences if it is but, how much relief could one expect from a discount on a kilo of tortillas? If that would make a difference, perhaps one should be in a more helpful environment, such as the states. The truly needy won't do well in Mexico.

By the way.......Just out of curiosity, which La Jolla do you live in?

[Edited on 5-4-2008 by DENNIS]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 08:25 PM

My card saves me just enough so I don't have to eat dogfood.:saint:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
My card saves me just enough so I don't have to eat dogfood.:saint:

I don't know Ed...My dog eats dog food and she's as healthy, or more so, than I.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.