Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza's -- never again
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 06:37 PM

We're on dirt bikes with no chase truck. Where else can I get lobster burrittos?

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by bent-rim]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 06:43 PM
St Augustine

There is a place between La Paz and Constitucion called St. Augustine that has killer lobster burritos...the most expensive thing on the menu...I think that they are 8 or 9 usd but they are delicious. They dont always have them(I think that this is a good thing!)
Ok this place is before El Cien coming from La Pa on the left side of the road. It used be this pretty pink and gray(hey that was THE color combo when I was in junior high) but they have painted yellow on the second floor. All the food there is good but the lobster burritos are the best.

Roasty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 11:03 AM

Always stop for the fish soup. Never been disapointed - or sick !
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 02:50 PM

we have stopped twice for dinner and it is twice too many. we now bring sandwich makings or bring fried chicken purchased in the states and eat in the room. the rooms at baha cactus are outstanding. although the bus looks interesting. might try that. will be leaving in a couple of weeks if the wife will stop buying candles . says we need for ambiance at our casa.

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 02:55 PM

Is that woman still with us?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 03:06 PM
A year is a long time.....

at that age:o:O:o
As a matter of fact

Ah cmon guys, ease up.:yes: She's still a good person.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 03:34 PM

Well, that was to be my point. She's inches away from Cien Años. Won't you nasty restaurant reviewers feel a bit overblown at her demise? She probably isn't slinging hash but, she holds a spot in Baja memories. You don't have to eat there but maybe that public decision could be a left to inuendo till time takes charge.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 05:28 PM

DENNIS, Me thinx you have been in the "nasty restaurant reviewers" club too. Nothing I noticed had any personal criticism towards Moma only how her place has taken a dive. Moma had the best meals on the highway for a long time. It's just time to move on to other places until reviews are more favorable. Also, I am at a total loss to understand you last sentence.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 06:15 PM

It means some could be less blunt about their reviews until time inevitibly runs out for the woman. I was only being lightly critical. No big deal.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 07:05 PM

Called respect methinks. Oh, I think bashing the food over and over and calling it "Mamas'" is pretty well pointed at her. Then, a restauranteur should be responsible for what goes on in there. She's done plenty for plenty in years past. That is the shame that w/o a good(food) rep she loses clients and probably pseudofriends as well. Happens mucho in this biz. Things can go south fast with the wrong people running the show. Anyhoo, Dennis has a clue.

btw, my wife DID have a lobster burrito/quesadilla. She liked it. My second visit more recently was a good experience when I ordered the Langosta Ranchera.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 09:20 AM

I still stop for lobster burritos or full lobster (now 44.00) OUCH with newbies on the road with me. Especially if theyre buying. I get heartburn every trip from the burritos.... but I still stop to get them, have a coffee or beer depending on the time; Yah, not sure which is when, but I always stop for the good ole days maybe, sometimes i'm remembered, most times its like its the first time that i walked into the place. That makes me sad. Baja is baja, bad road, good people, good road, all people. Most all places, you are remembered after a visit or two. To be forgotten after a hundred visits..... sad.

Don Eddies (next to old mill) has served up some great lobster at a low price.....

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 09:40 AM

The new post by ELINVESTI8 on Mama Espinoza's (yesterday) sure is a nice way to bring balance... ALL eating places in Baja can go from good to bad (and back to good again).

Mama's is the place in El Rosario that is most famous, gets writeups about, and attracts the tourists and racers. El Rosario was a checkpoint for the 1000 from '67-'72, and Mama has supported the Flying Sams since it was 'born' in El Rosario thanks in part to her.

I don't write much about it because most Baja folks already know of the place. I have had great lobster and other meals there... I also have had great (and cheaper) meals at other restuarants in El Rosario... (Baja's Best B & B Restaurant, La Bocana Beach Restaurant, Tacos La Mision, to name a few)

No matter what any of us say, someone else will come along and have a bad experience or just not like it and say the opposite.

What you need to do, is try NEW places each trip... Food in Baja is awesome... part of the experience (I mean you guys have seen my wasteline expand over the years, right?):lol:

Antonio (Baja Cactus), Anthony (Diamante del Mar), and David K at Mama Espinoza's having lobster for Thanksgiving dinner, 2004.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 12:13 PM

I have never had a bad meal anywhere on earth that came from a "bus" style place?? Some of the best shrimp in Texas and Hawaii....Cajun in Louisianna....BBQ in of all places , Minnesota...Dogs in Jersey....
So look for a roadside BUS anywhere!!:biggrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 12:24 PM

Yeah, but the price of discovering if Mama's is improved is steep, these days.

The lobster burritos have to be approaching 15.00 by now, if not more. Not that I ever liked them much with that white sauce in them.

I wish they'd change the name. I feel like I'm disparaging a wonderful 95 year old woman every time I express my dislike for the place. She probably has little to do with the restaurant anymore. :(

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Yeah, but the price of discovering if Mama's is improved is steep, these days.

The lobster burritos have to be approaching 15.00 by now, if not more. Not that I ever liked them much with that white sauce in them.

I wish they'd change the name. I feel like I'm disparaging a wonderful 95 year old woman every time I express my dislike for the place. She probably has little to do with the restaurant anymore. :(

I agree Hook as it is Roli's place now, ... and lobster isn't the only thing they serve. Mama is 100 now, officially.

But, really... if you want a burrito... a BIG meaty burrito, go to Hugo's Tacos la Mision!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 01:27 PM

After reading ELINVESTI8's story, I'll continue to stop there as long as Mama E. is present.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 02:03 PM

Me too Packo

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:15 PM
My Two Cents

Just so you know I hold no ill will against anyone in here that does not like Mama's food or think the food is too expensive. I distinguish between your complaints about the restaurant and Mama herself. Just know that Mama no longer runs the restaurant. She is 100 years old and is spending her time in her private quarters knitting slippers she sells in the restaurant to buy rice, beans and soap for the needy people that live in El Rosario and the surrounding mountains. Mama’s only thought are for the homeless and poor who live in her area. The few pesos she makes from her slippers goes to the poor people. Mama does not have anything anymore as she has divided everything she had amongst her children and now lives on the good will of her daughter Rolly and her husband Oscar who provide for Mama from some of the proceeds of the restaurant. Believe me that Rolly and Oscar are not getting rich off of anyone who comes to eat at their restaurant. I know this to be a fact. They do make a small profit but that is expected because they are a business.

Oscar has to travel overnight to get the lobster (I forget where) and has to bring them back from where ever he buys them. They buy most of their food in San Quintin or Ensenada and have to haul it back to El Rosario from a long distance. They want to ensure that everyone is getting fresh ingredients in the meals they prepare. I spent some time in the kitchen and saw Carolina, Rolly’s cousin making out a list of food they needed to buy. I asked her, if they buy the food locally and she said "Nooooo, we go to San Quintin or Ensenada to buy the food." Me personally, I have no idea where the other restaurants in the area buy their food but just know that the price Mama has on menu is a fair price and they have no intention of ripping anyone off. Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant has a reputation to maintain from the time Mama made tacos on her wood stove for a few tourists those many years ago up to today.

PS If anyone is going down past Mama Espinoza's place in the very near future please let me Know. Mama Espinoza ran out of her Ensure drinks about a year ago and I would like to send her four cases to get her though until I can get back down there. I will meet you anywhere you say to give you the cargo. Mama says it gives her energy to make it through the day. If that is not possible does someone know how to send that kind of stuff down that far such as mail or delivery truck etc. Please U2U me if you are either going or know how to send it so it will get to her. Thank you very much.

David

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:21 PM

Thanks David, that was well stated...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 03:25 PM

Antonio (Baja Cactus) and Lorenia with Roli (Rolly) at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant where we all had breakfast (May, 2005)...

[Edited on 12-20-2007 by David K]

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.