Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: Riding a bicycle down Baja
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 10:11 AM

come on guys lets all just travel the speed of Bicycles.... so we can be safe... including the cows.

Does this mean I am going to gain weight?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I have to just laugh while reading this. On one hand I read posts about heading to baja to slow down and relax and then I am reading this post about, god forbid, paving roads and ruining the "idyllic" life. Too funny.
Please, can't we all just try to be exactly the same? Sheesh, then everything would be so much better.

Patch - wrong post. This one is about two wheel travelers
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 04:13 PM

seems to be that the consensus of most nomads is that they have some civil right to speed faster than safe for road conditions, and that any bicyclist, cow, coyote, turtle, fallen stone or tumbling tumbleweed that dares to get in their way as they hurl around blind corners is at fault for any damage that occurs to their monster SUV, pickup-towing-boat, RV, or humble ego.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 04:31 PM

Jeezo....Hasn't this guy been turned to Chiligrind yet? He'd better get on the road soon to realize his successes and mistakes.

I wish him the best ride of his life.........Go for it.
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
My family has been put in harms way because of bike riders in the past on certain dangerous parts of the Hwy1 Go do the math.

your family's in harms way in 'certain dangerous parts' because you're driving like an ass! your OWN family!! how does that feel? & congrats.
do.the.math.
"inconceivable" (the princess bride)
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
come on guys lets all just travel the speed of Bicycles.... so we can be safe... including the cows.

close to 100percent of the Hwy is wide open visually unimpaired! do.the.math.

wheredothesepeepscomefrom??
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 05:21 PM

I love all the posts proclaiming his right to ride. You are absolutley correct. I never questioned his legal right to be there, just as everyone of us has the legal responsibility to do everything in our power to prevent from injuring him and all others on the road.

As I tried to express in my previous post I fully support his right to personal challenge. Just as I am opposed to all laws and regulations that do nothing more than attempt to protect us from ourselves.

However, legal rights aside, I feel we each have a moral responsibility to not endanger others by our actions. It makes no difference whether you are driving at 100 mph, or riding a bicycle on Mex 1. Yes both examples are exhilarating and personally challenging. My concern is when people perform these stunts with no regard to the safety of others.

He obviously has decided he can still live with himself if a family that swerved to miss him met a semi-head-on. Obviously the driver of that family was "legally" wrong because he was unable to stop within the distance he could see, yet knowing my actions may have contributed to their deaths is not something I could live with. That is not something I could do and people that can accept that do not impress me.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 05:24 PM

Bottom line if you hit the biker or crash because you tried to go around him and hit another car its your fault for not waiting to pass when safe and if you come around a curve and hit a biker or another car while trying to go around the biker its still your fault for driving too fast for the conditions of the road and when to Mex cop shows up thats exactly how he will call it while he is arresting you for the accident
unless the biker is doing something ilegal or pulls out in front of you its your fault
If he is already in the lane when you come up on him its his lane same as if he was a car going slow
If it was a car/motorcycle/ tractor going slow and you hit him Your fault

I still think its a bad idea to bike Mex1 mainly because of all you boneheads that think you own the road and that a bike needs to move out of your way, or if you come around a blind curve and there is a bike in the road in front of you that they dont have a right to be there.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gibson

Have you evr driven this road? I can think of numerous blind curves.
bajalid

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:03 PM

God bless him! I rode mt bike from san felipe to purtocitios and my road bike from TJ to Ensenada.In the years driving to cabo I have seen and talk to the riders and they had great stories I wish I was riding with this guy!
But I would use my mt.bike for this trip(more gears for up hill):lol:
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:03 PM

Ive driven it hundreds of times and yes there are blind curves but if i came around one and hit a biker or crashed because I had to go around one and hit another car it would be my fault even if it was a stupid idea for the biker to be riding Mex. 1
I dont even ride a bike but I know unless there are signs posted or laws saying they cant ride a bike down Mex 1, That if you come upon one in the lane in front of you they have the right to be there and treated just like they were a car in the lane. They even have the right to ride down the center of the lane like a car and sometimes thats safer because cars behind will have to slow and wait to pass instead of trying to squeeze by
DAND
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
seems to be that the consensus of most nomads is that they have some civil right to speed faster than safe for road conditions, and that any bicyclist, cow, coyote, turtle, fallen stone or tumbling tumbleweed that dares to get in their way as they hurl around blind corners is at fault for any damage that occurs to their monster SUV, pickup-towing-boat, RV, or humble ego.

Man, I drive a Toyota Corolla and my ego is far from humble.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:16 PM

I'm trying to think how many cyclists I've seen over the years on Mex 1...probably 10 or 20 total--not many...so the chances of a bad situation are slim. I would say I've been far outconvenienced by RVs going slow, or worse--those hideous RV caravans which are like trying to pass a train! That said, I still wouldn't want to personally ride the highway--my fear of being hit would ruin the enjoyment of it...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Was tongue in cheek-- but...100% I know where you come from!
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 06:33 PM

I just got back from Lapaz and we saw a at least 5 or 6 cyclists in the month we were down there.

I count dead horses, cows and dogs on every trip. My attempt was to determine which ones were smarter. My counting has lead me to believe that goats were the smartest of all, because you never see them dead along the road.

So far I have not had to count dead cyclists and I sure hope it does not start. We came up a hill and there was a cyclists in the road just over the top. No one was coming, so I was able to go around but if that had not been the case, it would have been hard to stop.

[Edited on 1-19-2008 by wiltonh]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Ive driven it hundreds of times and yes there are blind curves but if i came around one and hit a biker or crashed because I had to go around one and hit another car it would be my fault even if it was a stupid idea for the biker to be riding Mex. 1
I dont even ride a bike but I know unless there are signs posted or laws saying they cant ride a bike down Mex 1, That if you come upon one in the lane in front of you they have the right to be there and treated just like they were a car in the lane. They even have the right to ride down the center of the lane like a car and sometimes thats safer because cars behind will have to slow and wait to pass instead of trying to squeeze by
DAND

No arguments from me regarding legal determination of fault. My point was moral responsibility. If my car was disabled on a blind curve I have a moral responsibility to try to warn of a hazard ahead. If I don't do a thing to warn anyone and a family plows into my disabled car do I merely say "Stupid people were driving too fast"? They may have been legally wrong but I would have been morally wrong.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 07:43 PM

It's very obvious to anyone who rides bikes on the road ANYWHERE, that cars treat bikers like squat.
A problem is you think all of the non-bike riders are
p-nche for some reason or another. That's just not right. My point was and is much the same as your own... that the road is dangerous, and more so with bikes on it. Period.
Unlike the hiways in the US the Mex roads are barely wide enough for two large vehicles passing one another. There are stretches of road that go for miles with no shoulder whatsoever. Not to mention a dozen other hazards.
Where do you get the idea that we/I don't yield? I always yield for bikes.
The road is dangerous for bicycles regardless of how we all here drive. I sense the notion that some of you think that if an accident occurs with a bike then it has to be the "big" vehicles fault. I can't find reason to believe that it always is the drivers fault. Bikes can easily fall into your "blind spot" due to the nature of physics. That people aren't prepared for bikes in compromising positions means that inevitably the two will meet at inopportunistic times. ie, in traffic, around curves, behind trees etc. It's harder to see a cyclist than a 4 wheeled vehicle. That includes motos as well. You hear many times about fatal accidents whereas the guy was "never seen".
I would love to think that everyone who plies that road had perfect vision, was not road weary, had excellent reactions and were courteous and astute drivers. Let's face it there are REALLY LAME drivers on that and every other road. They present a problem for us all no matter WHAT they drive.

It is an idiot that runs into a bike
End of pant.....:)

P.S. I pray that guy has good fortune.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:16 PM

I too wish him good luck...more for the other people sake...because he knows it is a dumb A$$ thing to do...remember this:

A senior citizen said to his eighty-year old buddy: "So I hear you're getting married?" "Yep!" "Do I know her?" "Nope!" "This woman, is she good looking?" "Not really." "Is she a good cook?" "Naw, she can't cook too well." "Does she have lots of money?" "Nope! Poor as a church mouse." "Well, then, is she good in bed?" "I don't know." "Why in the world do you want to marry her then?" "Because she can still drive!"

:lol::lol::lol:
Can you see something wrong with your theory??? of course not...if you were that smart you would not be riding Mex 1..:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:19 PM

I can agree that RV caravans are more selfish and dangerous than one or two people riding bicycles.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I can agree that RV caravans are more selfish and dangerous than one or two people riding bicycles.

Tell me who is the dumbest...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.