Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 09:50 AM

Sq are you going to have a radio with you and if so what freq will you be on. I'll bring mine and unless I hear different I'll be on 151.625mhz.
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 4-26-2008 at 03:04 PM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Sq are you going to have a radio with you and if so what freq will you be on. I'll bring mine and unless I hear different I'll be on 151.625mhz.

Good to here form you TW, >>> When traveling on road in the U.S.A. and on road in Baja, I monitor C.B. channel 19. >>> When I am off-road with others the C.B. will be on channel 37 or 38. >>> I prefer to not take the 2 meter south because of not having the proper Mex. license to operate with impunity. >>> That license is tied to your tourist permit. ... Your t. permit dies and so does the license. >>> Fee is reported to be 50- 75 dollars! >>> You know, as if the law is created on the spot. >>> Maybe this is what some like about Mexico!!! >>> The small and cheap but capable "family GMRS/ FRS" radios down south must also be be licensed if used on GMRS freqs. in both U.S.A. and Mex. >>> These have also been confiscated down south, but the dollar loss minimal. >>> I tend to be a minimalist when risking my comm. gear! >>> Do you plan on caravaning? I look forward to seeing you and BJ. >>> Best Regards, sq.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 10:56 AM

I'm picking BJ up Thursday morning near the I-5 and the 118 at Whiteman airport between 8-9am then head south.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 11:02 AM

You guys have a great time and much success! I have work all week up here in Alta California... so, I will only be there in spirit...

Remember, the left (south) side of the valley has the brush/ cactus and the right side has the boulders...

The bikes stay to the right and wiggle through the boulders to get to the bottom of the grade... But a truck/ SUV won't be able to do that.

Roy has a plan, I am sure!! May the force be with you!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

I prefer to not take the 2 meter south because of not having the proper Mex. license to operate with impunity. >>>

Oh Roy, stop it. I have never heard of anyone even purchasing said license let alone getting asked if they have one or having the radio confiscated because they don't. :D

I guess you can pretty much pay for anything in Mex if you ask them to take your money for it.

Just think what an industry this could be during a SCORE race, with officials checking every vehicle with an antenna on the roof for proper licensing of the 2 meter inside. It would be chaos! :lol:

Fdt, no fair passing this along to anyone :no:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 04:56 PM

A couple of years ago I went south after a SF250 race and just before Gonzaga Bay at the military check point the captain saw my radios in the back seat and antennas on the roof and ask for my Mexican license. I explained they were race radios and the license was part of the entry fee paid to SCORE for the race. [There is a radio fee charged for the 1000 I think.] Any way we went back and forth over this for several minutes and he finally told me to go on. That is the only time I have ever been asked for a license for my radios. I don't know what the Mexican law is for two way radios.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 05:52 PM

:o:o:o Jeeebus! :o:o:o

What is all the uproar about radios? At the risk of starting a radio info pfi$$ing match, here is the general info.

CBs are legal there anywhere, anytime, FRS/GMRS are used regularly by folks up and down the penninsula, like RV caravans, lost seniors in WalMart, beachcombers and parents with teenagers they're trying to keep track of. Ham two meter (144-148 MHz) rigs are used legally through RECIPROCAL LICENSING AGREEMENTS between the Mexican and U.S. governments (a standing question on the FCC license test in the U.S.). VHF marine band radios are used by locals, hotels, ejidos and pangeros for daily communication, marine and otherwise.

Race radios use U.S. commercial band FM frequencies in Mexico through an agreement between race organizers and the Mexican communications authorities. If anybody confiscates your gear, you have a legitimate grievance with somebody higher up the Baja food chain.

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by TacoFeliz]

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by TacoFeliz]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 08:12 PM

Good luck on locating the route. I hope everything goes as planned. I will report back from the Goa Gil event in Tijuana next week.

Just can't wait to hear 24 hours of Goa Trance. :bounce:

The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 12:43 AM

Attention Taco Feliz,

"IF ANYBODY CONFISCATES YOUR GEAR, YOU HAVE A LEGITMATE GRIEVANCE WITH SAMEBODY HIGHER UP THE BAJA FOOD CHAIN."

" LEGITMATE GRIEVANCE" You resemble a man with a paper rectum fighting a forest fire!

I assume you would enjoy TRANCE music 24 hrs. straight by GOA TRANCE.

Jeeeebus ? You are truly lost and just wandering aimlessly.

Good luck, sq.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 01:00 AM

Thanks, Sq. All offers of good luck gratefully accepted.

You seem to be SHOUTING. Did I somehow touch a nerve?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2008 at 07:26 AM

Gadget, as they say, come on down. I'll be in my silver GMC Z71 and I'll have my XR250 Honda so I can maybe do some scouting. I've got 4 pry bars.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 10:44 AM

Greetings All, >>> I Sincerely thank all Nomads and others for their interest in the not so easy La Turquesa Trek. >>> Yes, this type of 4X4 adventure does require a certain driving adversity bucked up with a strong determination. >>> Meet May 1 Thursday 0800hrs. at the gas station in Tecate, U.S.A. for a fine adventure, if so inclined, and lets get it done. >>> Be there or be ++++++ ................. OOPS!!!!! >>> Happy trails, sq.

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by The squarecircle]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 02:12 PM

Sq, what's with all the >'s in your posts? Just curious, and it really makes them hard to read.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 05:00 PM

I will have to settle by looking at the pictures>>>>,since my truck wasn't welcome for being a fullsize>>>>,just kidding guys and gals,have fun and I can wait for the trip report>>>>.Roy say hi to Blanche, for me. looking foward for some other time, to ride with you guys>>>>.

PS just kidding ROBERTO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 07:09 PM

Jose, you going to the BOOKSIGNING this Saturday???

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 10:18 PM

Have a good trip and good luck. I'm not going to make it sadly :barf:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
CG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2008 at 10:31 PM

I won't be making this or Goa Gill, got a case of the crud. :fire:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 08:07 AM

Those not on the La Turquesa trek, come on down to the Pyramid Resort and support Keri's hard work at making the SIXTH book signing great!

I am looking forward to Roy's report and photos and wish him, TW and the others cool road building weather!

See the rest of you this Saturday afternoon at Keri's event!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Don't know David,right now looks like a no go.I will know by tomorrow.Have fun.say hi to BA

Jose, you going to the BOOKSIGNING this Saturday???

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CG
I won't be making this or Goa Gill, got a case of the crud. :fire:

Chris can't go to Goa Gil, and I'm not leaving my Rubicon parked on the street in TJ, so unfortunately I'm not gonna hear my Psychedelic Trance guru, either.

Waaaa!!! :no: :no: :no:

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.