BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10
Author: Subject: Our First Biosphere Reserve Bracelets in Asuncion!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So many of us go to Baja TO GET AWAY from the excessive government regulations and rules and to leave civilization behind to get closer to nature and the 'real world'.

Now an area of Baja that so many Nomads have recently discovered thanks to Shari, is falling under the thumb of government... Will a walk on the beach be charged like watching a movie.. seriously???

It is sad that you are making Shari's thread political. I wish folks like you, supposedly an ambassador to Baja, would take your political views to the off-topic section.

What is all this if it isn't government inspired? How can the government be excluded in any decision to impose a tax?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 04:14 PM

"Anyway, since our personal opinions of fishbuck have really nothing to do with the Preserve fees, we are going back and removing those posts. For the purpose of this thread, they were out of line. What fishbuck does, is up to him.

Again, this was not the place to express our personal opinions about fishbuck, so to others, we apologize. " JDTROTTER

I agree with the poster that this was an inappropriate place for us to express our opinions of each other. That was never my original intent.
Additionally, I made some statements that were threatening. And that is never appropriate. Here or in the real world.
I lost my cool and my good manners.
As a gentleman, I should be able to withstand any number of insults and not respond with violence or threats of violence. And unfortunately I failed in my responsibilty to BajaNomad and all the other members of the BajaNomad community and to myself.
And for that I am truly sorry.

Mike

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 04:26 PM

It's just another example of Kalifornicating Baja.

Taxes/User fees with little observable benefit.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 04:54 PM

Whoa...sheesh...I go to san roque for a day and look what happens!!! Let's see, where to begin...I have some problems too with this newly enforced permit deal and apart from the extreme difficulty and costs in getting the permit for our business...it will be tricky to administer.

I have asked lots of questions and the answers arent very clear to me...alot of gray areas...the idea of a man using his criteria to charge people will be problematic....it will be difficult to charge everyone...so who gets off the hook??? surfers? family members? good friends?

Because Jaime lives in Asuncion...will our visitors get charged whereas the people who go to Abreojos get off the hook?

There is no signage anywhere about this.

I find it awkward that I have to charge our visitors but others dont...is this discrimination or favoratism?? Supposedly ANY person who doesnt live in the reserve has to pay...but it is unclear for what activities.

I am liking the idea of just charging everyone who enters the reserve the 46 pesos so it is fair.

But this is something we have to deal with, accept and I hope we can figure it out without too much hassle. I guess we will work it into our pricing. I imagine the funds may go towards an office here, maybe a patrol panga...time will tell I guess.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:12 PM

Thank you Shari!!!

You are using the old brain and will make it work and be fair to all who utilize your tourist services...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
The good thing about the fees is that the money stays local---it is used for projects on the Preserve. I believe the same is true with the fees being charged in Loreto for fishing etc. in that Preserve.

sorry but this is not true, the $$ goes to the feds.

look up the conanp website for information
http://www.conanp.gob.mx/

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:42 PM

Thanks Pam...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:50 PM

Pam, could you please point us to the particular part of that link that shows the money goes to Mexico. Did you mean "all park money", just your local Loreto money or money in biospheres in general?
The site is in Spanish, I read a little Spanish and i can't clearly read where it tells me where the money ends up. It is vitally important that the money stays where it does the most good. It says nothing of FONMAR or Tourist User Fees in general or particular that I can find.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:51 PM

"Whoa...sheesh...I go to san roque for a day and look what happens!!!" Shari.

Ya, what's the idea of taking a day off to enjoy your paradise?

But, like I said before, one day of fishing with Jaun probably costs me atleast $500 including fuel,hotel fishing. So it's not $5 that's the issue.
But if all they did was draw a line on a map and call it a "Biophere preserve" and charge $5...
But as soon as fishing gets good I'll be there... with my $5:yes:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:26 PM

Bucky....no days off...Juan is working abalone out of san roque these days...they get 120 abs every day...14 boats...while I beachcomb, work out, read and make jewellery....ahhh paradise....just came in to welcome some visitors and get them oriented...have a shower, check mail and nomadlandia and now we're headed back out....so see ya'll in a couple days when I come into check how Andre is behaving himself...sounds like good surf this weekend!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:
The good thing about the fees is that the money stays local---it is used for projects on the Preserve. I believe the same is true with the fees being charged in Loreto for fishing etc. in that Preserve.

Well, I certainly have no reason to not believe the Rep who is now in Bahia Asuncion. He is a VERY honest person who has worked for the Preserve for many years and he would have no reason to tell an untruth ---Loreto, I know nothing about.

Jamie has a very difficult job to do as this change is happening. There are bound to be snags along the way, but there also seems to be an attempt to smear him.

Yes, he and his family are very good friends.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:44 PM

What I found so far:

http://www.parkswatch.org/parkprofile.php?l=eng&country=...

"Recent data indicate that the reserve receives 13,000 visitors per year. As a result, the Federal Government has received $US 19, 200 from use fees-the total economic impact is of course higher since these data do not include concessionary or tourist agencies earnings."

[Edited on 6/24/2009 by Packoderm]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
What I found so far:

"Recent data indicate that the reserve receives 13,000 visitors per year. As a result, the Federal Government has received $US 19, 200 from use fees-the total economic impact is of course higher since these data do not include concessionary or tourist agencies earnings."

Curious as to why you edited out your second quote???

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
What I found so far:

Curious as to why you edited out your second quote???

It looked like general management data of the coastal areas rather than the biosphere specifically.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:47 PM

WOW! This thread has gained a life of its own...amazing how computers create personalities..."Marshal Mcluhan what the hell are you doin" ?
I pretty much know all the Bahia Asuncion people on this thread and, yes, even Jamie and fishbuck. Jamie has helped us out and was are very kind young man. In fact, all the people that I know in BA are truly decent folks and this thread is not reflecting that.
I, as most of you, love the biosphere and wish it good tending. I fear as with all taxes very little will filter down to the flora and fauna of the place ... hope I am wrong. As with all taxes and fees mostly we pay and trust that it will do good... sometimes yes and sometimes no. The whole idea of protecting places is wonderful and I think even if there are flaws in the process maybe, at least, it will remind us of the specialness of this particular place.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Taxes/User fees with little observable benefit.

That alone is enough to have a "Tea Party."
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

Well, I certainly have no reason to not believe the Rep who is now in Bahia Asuncion. He is a VERY honest person who has worked for the Preserve for many years and he would have no reason to tell an untruth ---Loreto, I know nothing about.

Jamie has a very difficult job to do as this change is happening. There are bound to be snags along the way, but there also seems to be an attempt to smear him.

Yes, he and his family are very good friends.

I am obviously a bit slow and naive...can you point out where Jamie is being smeared? From what I read, and correct me if I am wrong, the rules are vague and thus enforcement issues might arise. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:52 PM

One thing that has come out of this whole thing for me is that if I do buy a band, I will not buy it in Bahia Asuncion.
As far as I can tell, the $5 goes to Jamie and all he does is sit in an office in town and collect $5. That seems to be the total extent of the effort of the "Biosphere Preserve".
I would recomend that he hire new public relations people. The ones he has now("very good friends") aren't helping him much. Quite the opposite.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
One thing that has come out of this whole thing for me is that if I do buy a band, I will not buy it in Bahia Asuncion.
As far as I can tell, the $5 goes to Jamie and all he does is sit in an office in town and collect $5. That seems to be the total extent of the effort of the "Biosphere Preserve".
I would recomend that he hire new public relations people. The ones he has now("very good friends") aren't helping him much. Quite the opposite.

Come on Bucky-I thought you were a lover not a donkey:biggrin:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

Come on Bucky-I thought you were a lover not a donkey:biggrin:

Hey, I'm just trying to help the "Biosphere Preserve" man. You know, do my part for the pronghorns and ospreys and litter removal effort.
I'm trying to help Jamie.

I have a special charity that I want everyone to pitch in for too.
It's called the "Viscaino single mom Preserve" They have a couple of offices in Viscaino.
It gives the moms an opportunity to have a good paying job. And the money supports kids with no dad.
It's a good cause and I have never once heard anyone complain about the fee. In fact all the donors seem to be very happy. The moms too! Smiles all around.
I will be in Bahia Asuncion to personally collect $5 from everyone in town. And then I will personally deliver it to "Mom preserve" and make sure that as many moms as possible get a share.
;D

[Edited on 6-24-2009 by fishbuck]

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.