Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  12
Author: Subject: Road Block Bandits
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:56 AM

Yes I have a place there. And was traveling to Baja before you were born (as many others have). I also post pictures every once in a while or respond to a request for info. I just don't have a need to respond to every post on the board.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I just wish he would stick to what he encounters during his couple weeks a year

Exactly what I did... I discussed what I experienced in my 45 years of Baja travel... I know that you have found Baja and have a place there, and perhaps you may want to keep it to yourself.

However, on this forum people come to learn about Baja travel as durangotang did...

IF he read that banditos would be waiting for him south of Puertecitos, or anywhere in Baja... Perhaps we wouldn't have heard a great report, he wouldn't have a great vacation, and Mexico would be a bit less rich...?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:58 AM
Is there a prize?

Quote:

How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

I have...On two separate occasions. I have many other friends who have related additional encounters.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Is there a prize?

Prize? Hey...don't forget about me when two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol. I know gawwwdammm well it wasn't the Chamber Of Commerce. :lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Exactly what I did... I discussed what I experienced in my 45 years of Baja travel... I know that you have found Baja and have a place there, and perhaps you may want to keep it to yourself.

No, what you did was try to diminish the poster's on-site report and credibility with your "opinion" even though you weren't there.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Can you answer the question: How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

I have had 2 encounters with banditos within the past 10 years.
None before that.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

Try it next time you are there and let us know what happens.

YES

Pls post the result. If you are able.

"Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?"

I said YES

Result of a belief? I believe what I was told by another Nomad/ Amigo de Baja...

Ask your neighbor Fishin' Rich... He told me the story after we drove through the Tecate border without stopping when the red light came on... I was his passenger when we took a day trip to Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada back in 2001.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pls post the result. If you are able.":

Myself, coming north from Loreto last summer we were pointed over to the field for 'special search' at the military checkpoint (there were others in front)... After I drove off behind the rest bench and didn't see any one waiting to search me I drove on and back on the highway... Baja Angel wanted to see the 'Wall of Shame' there that Phil C had told us about and was surprised that I didn't wait and risked leaving... I wanted to get back to Concepcion Bay!

Nobody shot at us or chased us. :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

I have...On two separate occasions. I have many other friends who have related additional encounters.

Well maybe there could be a prize for the first person who tries to run a Military stop and is able to report back----and Dave, they cannot take my dogs with them. :-)

DK, think about it what you did in comparison to what this person did. Absolutely no comparison at all. Next time you see one, turn quickly off the road, do not even pretend to stop, and speed away cross country---then report back.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by DianaT]

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yes I have a place there. And was traveling to Baja before you were born (as many others have). I also post pictures every once in a while or respond to a request for info. I just don't have a need to respond to every post on the board.

Then why do you respond to every one of mine?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

No, what you did was try to diminish the poster's on-site report and credibility with your "opinion" even though you weren't there.

That was not my reason and you should know that. However, for anyone including durangotang that took my offerings of an explanation as anything other than to make his trip a total positive Baja experience, I am sorry.

rts551
Elite Nomad

Quote:
Quote:

Then why do you respond to every one of mine?

I don't. otherwise I would have the same number of posts:lol::lol::lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

Too many variables

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol.

They could have been in the 'rear window' replacement business.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:

two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol.

They could have been in the 'rear window' replacement business.

And Dennis did not say what he did to make this happen. He must have irritated the nice fellows. :biggrin::biggrin:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:16 AM

The military aren't at the border. I know Rich very well and follows the rules more than most people. Has his fishing license, always gets his FM-2 stamped etc. I don't believe he runs military stops.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

YES

"Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?"

I said YES

Result of a belief? I believe what I was told by another Nomad/ Amigo de Baja...

Ask your neighbor Fishin' Rich... He told me the story after we drove through the Tecate border without stopping when the red light came on... I was his passenger when we took a day trip to Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada back in 2001.

Myself, coming north from Loreto last summer we were pointed over to the field for 'special search' at the military checkpoint (there were others in front)... After I drove off behind the rest bench and didn't see any one waiting to search me I drove on and back on the highway... Baja Angel wanted to see the 'Wall of Shame' there that Phil C had told us about and was surprised that I didn't wait and risked leaving... I wanted to get back to Concepcion Bay!

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:18 AM

I all serious folks (lurkers looking for info). Pls don't try and run a military stop. You will not like the result. 18 year old kids with machine guns.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
And Dennis did not say what he did to make this happen. He must have irritated the nice fellows. :biggrin::biggrin:

ME ????????????? I'll bet they were nice guys. We just didn't give our friendship time to develop. Maybe after a full box of bullets, we would have been buds for life. :no:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:

ME ????????????? I'll bet they were nice guys. We just didn't give our friendship time to develop. Maybe after a full box of bullets, we would have been buds for life. :no:

Seriously, it had to be a really awful experience. It if had been me, they would not have to shoot me---.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
The military aren't at the border. I know Rich very well and follows the rules more than most people. Has his fishing license, always gets his FM-2 stamped etc. I don't believe he runs military stops.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

I said YES

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by rts551]

I also don't think Rich lied to me... It may have been a story, but I believed him.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:45 AM
In all fairness

I once busted an army checkpoint.

They had one setup southbound just north of the toll booth in Rosarito. Not expecting it I didn't slow down until too late. Blew through the many, large, temporary rope topos at freeway speed. I fully expected to get shot. When I finally did get stopped and looked back the guards all had an amazed look. I guess they didn't understand how my wheels and axles could have survived.

Didn't search the vehicle. Just waived through.

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
It was his first time to Baja... it may have been a military check or a Federale check... they do set up at random places on occaision.
Your first response was to discount the situation as a military or federale stop. His description sounded like no checkpoint I have seen in 35 years of Baja experience.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
It was his first time to Baja... it may have been a military check or a Federale check... they do set up at random places on occaision.

By the way, the "Federales" or Judicial Federal Police no longer exist as a police corporation in Mexico. They were replaced by the AFI or Agencia Federal de Investigaciones. The days of the federale improviso check, with guys running around with Browning 9's stuffed in their belts are over. The cops who man the checkpoints are now all uniformed, so a Mexican source tells me.

I have also seen and been chased by banditos just south of Catavina back in 1991. My quick thinking husband went off the road and put the petal to the metal and got us out of there. They chased us, but our Chevy 454 saved our bacon that night. It was 2 am and they had the road blocked by a truck and a car, and were definately bad guys.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.