Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: .
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Farasha,

The man whom we both admire, Dr. Hans Hass was attacked in an area that I suspect that you dove or that you have visited. Dr Hass's attack occured in1952 in the Suakin harbor in Sudan.

dm

Yes DEAN, been there, dove the area for some weeks (gosh the Umbria is such a beautiful Weck). The Suakin Reefs are a famous place for Sharks on every single dive.And they are absolutely inquisitive. We took plenty of photos of them.
Was before digital UW cameras,so we always ended the films before the tanks. Surfacing just to get the cameras reloaded and went back in.
The ONLY other marinelife the Sharks had respect of,where the Giant Trigger Fish while breeding. That was the best Repellant, to hang around the Giant Triggers (with avoiding to get too close intto their teritory -otherwise you ended up fighting the trigger's).

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 05:10 AM

Sharks and Triggers, A real toothsome pair. A small shark nearly bit my ear of once.:D A Trigger Fish chewed halfway through one of my fingers.:O Both instances were my own fault.:tumble:
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 05:29 AM

YEAH,Giant Triggers can be even nastier then Sharks.They are good for some exitement, when you get into their teritory. And I really laughed hard UW,when the Triggers chased the Sharks off!!:biggrin: Always tried to keep my fins between us,that would keep them away,while making my way out of the teritory. Problem was that it was difficult NOT to invade the next Triggers area - they had their nests just some feet apart from each other. Stopped counting the nests after reaching 15.Just took off as far possible. Had luckily only a bitemark on my fin.

CYPRESS - how come the shark tried to chew off your EAR??
BTW we use the expression "he would chew my ear off " when someone is flooding you with lots of Bull***TALKING.

[Edited on 22-10-2006 by FARASHA]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 05:44 AM

FARASHA Slipped on a slimey deck while fighting a losing battle with a Cobia. There were several small sharks onboard. Heard an odd noise, it was one of 'em snapping at my ear.:D
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:41 AM
Shark repellant--fish bites

I was a visitor at Columbus Landing a month or so after it opened which wound make it in the mid 1970s.

At that time the fish were some what aprehensive of divers so we instituted feeding them item from the table.

My diving buddy was happily feeding fish from a small bottle we used to contain the food. He was near the end of his dive so he waved the bottle as if he was spraying with a hose. Of course there was a huge and immmediate gathering of fish of all sizes.

One rather large on, which after reviewing the photgraphs was Ided as a Tiger Grooper, came swimming in looling for a large hunk of the food. The fish evidently noticed the white of the divers ear and rushed in for a bite. With in a micro second took a huge bite out of the white ear.

The diver saved his ear but with out an underwater proprietarty rights battle over the ear. The diver won, but later required several stitches to reattach the ear lobe.

I was happily snapping away never noticing that there was an attack underway..

Yes the fish do have teeth and they can attack and do battle...

Then there is the large haibut that did a chew job on my leg after I speared it and strung it on my belt..

DM
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:49 AM

Speeking of Groopers,heard a story of a diver who needed a P** urgently. He didn'twant to spoil his wetsuit and opened his frontzipper. Relieved himself of the pressure -a Grooper considered it as "what nice worm" and went for it - the Diver was in agony upon surfacing. And had a LOOOOONG recovery from all the stitches. :wow:

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.