Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: About Differentials and Traction Control
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 05:16 PM

Dog engagement is how all motorcycle gear boxes shift. Small, light gears change speed easily. Most off-roaders often shift without even using the clutch, just need to "unload" the gears for an instant.

4x4's explaination was perfect.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 05:27 PM

4x4ABC----------------your post on "dog clutches" and how to engage and disengage our electric lockers is terrific, and answers all my questions. I have printed this out and put it in my owners manual (because I forget things) for future use.

I thank you very much.

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Dog engagement is how all motorcycle gear boxes shift. Small, light gears change speed easily. Most off-roaders often shift without even using the clutch, just need to "unload" the gears for an instant.

4x4's explaination was perfect.

Wow, speak for yourself "ncampion". I can do what you say and not use the clutch, but I almost never do it as it is very risky. For 30 years I drove a 4x4 vehicle off road professionally and never did what you say unless I was just showing someone that it could be done-----------if you screw up, bigtime wear on the gears, or worse. :o

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 06:30 PM

I didn't know being a park ranger made you a professional driver.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I didn't know being a park ranger made you a professional driver.

Hmmmmmmmmm, Well, maybe a stretch. But I spent most of my career in the desert, and we drove 4x4's in the dirt almost every day, so I thought that it qualified me to say that--------. :spingrin:

Maybe a better claim would be "an experience 4-wheel drive veh. operator which was a large part of my job". :yes:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
So, Ken, will I see you on the Rubicon with your Rubicon this summer?
You gotta show us what you can actually do with that dream machine

No, but you will see me with the title to the vehicle - no longer property of Bank of the West.:!:

Congratulations Ken!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 08:21 AM
Still no answer to my previous post

Doesn't anyone have a possible answer to why my Yukon gets better mileage with the traction control turned off? If you think I'm fullasheet I will accept that too.

Bob Durrell
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 08:43 AM

While the road may look straight it is not. You are always turning left and right ever so little. With the traction control turned on it senses that little difference and appies the brake to the wheel going faster. You don't feel it because it does it so quick and lightly. Think of it this way a house light bulb appears to stay lit when AC power is applied. But the AC current is going from positive to negative 60 times per second, too fast for the eye to see. If you slowed the cycle down to 1 cycle per second you would see the light get brighter then dimmer back and forth.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 11:38 AM

On my traction control, the anti-spin (limited slip) only comes on after there is some spin so it allows the diff. to remain open (no brakes applied) until you have lost traction and the tire breaks free and spins for a moment. Now, I am not saying the Chevy Yukon uses the same technology as the Toyota Tacoma... but surely it isn't constantly breaking for tiny steering changes??

Maybe I will turn off my traction control next time I fill upm and see if there is any change? I hope not to find out I could gain 1-2 mpg after 2 years of loving it... specially on wet days! It sure improves the 4WD when off roading!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 12:34 PM

David,

I've enjoyed this thread so much. I've learned so much about my own tacoma which the manual never made clear.

I thought that when I was putting it 4wd lo I was automatically getting the locking differential. Even though the button wass clearly there. I did experiment with the locking without understanding what it did. I would press the button and nothing happened. No lights came on, nada. I just gave up.

Have an 04 Tacoma.

My question is: Under what natural circumstances would I need i need this.

Is this primarily for the Ken Cooke rock climbing stuff?

I have been driving over sand in 4wd without problems. Have climbed steep hills as well. Would it help in getting out of mud? I avoid mud.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
David,

I've enjoyed this thread so much. I've learned so much about my own tacoma which the manual never made clear.

I thought that when I was putting it 4wd lo I was automatically getting the locking differential. Even though the button wass clearly there. I did experiment with the locking without understanding what it did. I would press the button and nothing happened. No lights came on, nada. I just gave up.

Have an 04 Tacoma.

I have been driving over sand in 4wd without problems. Have climbed steep hills as well. Would it help in getting out of mud? I avoid mud.

The rear locker is best used to get out of any situation the normal 4WD low doesn't get you through... or over.

I mainly used mine for STEEP, uneven roadbed, grades... Any deep ruts, big rocks or situations that one tire would be in the air. Without the rear locked, that one tire would spin... When locked, both rear tires rotate the same... so you move ahead if the front end is in bad stuff and has no traction.

Out of mud, sure... it sure is better to have both back tires turning instead of just one!

Practice engaging it... Go into L4, then press the locker button... As you begin to move ahead, the flashing light should go solid. If not, turn your wheel one direction and move slowly.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 05:03 PM

Traction control works the same on all vehicles. When the wheel sensor on any wheel shows any wheel going faster than the other wheels it applies the brake to that wheel. If you are going around a curve the outside wheels will go faster than the inside wheels and thus apply the brake to the outside wheels. Now how fast and sensitive the system is on a particular brand may be another question. Turn on your traction control and drive it over any road course especially where there are curves and I'll bet your gas milage is less.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
David,

Have an 04 Tacoma.

Consider this you are going up a hill to join a cross road and when you get to the top as you cross over the right front wheel comes off the ground and the left rear also comes off the ground, not much but enough to not have any traction with the ground. What would happen. The wheels without traction would spin and you would not go anywhere. I've had this happen going into Mikes Sky Ranch several years ago from the west. If your rear wheels are locked you would have traction with the rear wheels and would still move over the top. Normally in a 4 wheel drive vehicle having a locker doesn't matter but in some cases it will it just depends on the circumstances. Rock crawlers like both the front and rear locked so they can crawl over the rocks at slow speeds. Some 2 wheel drive racers just weld the rear so it's just a solid axle like an ATV. It's hard on tires but so what it just for racing. If I had a Toyota rear locker that only worked in 4x4 low I'd modify it to work in 4x4 high. I don't often use 4x4 low but I do like my rear locked when off road.

[Edited on 4-16-2012 by TW]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 05:42 PM

I noticed that my second exwife often locked her rear end when we went off road in Baja....

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 06:08 PM

When I place the 4wd in lo. The rear wheels no longer turn evenly during the turns. One skips the earth to stay with the other. I assumed this phenomena was due to the differential being locked. I never thought to look that the rear don't spin faster than front. That all wheels potentially get equal traction.

Was the locking diferrential engaged or not?

As I understand it if I stall my vehicle in sand with a wheel spinning I can get out with a locking differential by having it spin no faster than what the front is trying to do. I see this as helping because it stops from burying deeper?

So the rr locking differential locks the rear but not the front? Confusions reigns in light of earlier discussion.

[Edited on 4-16-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I noticed that my second exwife often locked her rear end when we went off road in Baja....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote from the Battle at Waterloo:

"I wish it would be already night and the Prussians are coming"

4X4abc where are you? We need you to clarify this 4x4 or not to be......
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Traction control works the same on all vehicles. When the wheel sensor on any wheel shows any wheel going faster than the other wheels it applies the brake to that wheel. If you are going around a curve the outside wheels will go faster than the inside wheels and thus apply the brake to the outside wheels. Now how fast and sensitive the system is on a particular brand may be another question. Turn on your traction control and drive it over any road course especially where there are curves and I'll bet your gas milage is less.

excuse my English here, Sir! But that's BS. Pure BS.

If traction control would slow down the outside wheel during a turn, you would be forced to to drive straight.

The engineers are not that stupid. The wheel speed differences during a turn are tolerated without traction control interference.

Only wheel speed differences created by traction loss will trigger traction control - and sometimes stability control at the same time.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
When I place the 4wd in lo. The rear wheels no longer turn evenly during the turns. One skips the earth to stay with the other. I assumed this phenomena was due to the differential being locked. I never thought to look that the rear don't spin faster than front. That all wheels potentially get equal traction.

Was the locking diferrential engaged or not?

As I understand it if I stall my vehicle in sand with a wheel spinning I can get out with a locking differential by having it spin no faster than what the front is trying to do. I see this as helping because it stops from burying deeper?

So the rr locking differential locks the rear but not the front? Confusions reigns in light of earlier discussion.

[Edited on 4-16-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

RR means rear... Toyota has no front locker on Tacomas or any other North American vehicle. The locker is an electric motor attached to the differential. More later, I need to run!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Quote from the Battle at Waterloo:

"I wish it would be already night and the Prussians are coming"

4X4abc where are you? We need you to clarify this 4x4 or not to be......

Karl,

I can't really help in this case. It's going all over the place.
Traction control, gas consumption, locked up rears, differential locks, traction, spinning tires, low range, questionable observations, nobody knows what he is talking about - my head is spinning.

Need traction control for my head
a few drinks will do
Going for Margaritas now.
With those 2 stunning Mexican girls
just came back from the beach with them
sunshine, Champagne and prosciutto - divine!

don't care about lockers and/or traction control

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.