Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza's
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 05:12 PM

I kinda think this is a no-brainer with all Baja Road vets.

If you like Baja history..stop and enjoy the nostalgia.

If you are just looking to get fed, and then want to pile on complaints about a famous Baja legend.. Mama's.....ignore the place and drive around the corner....it's not about the food.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 08:43 AM

Then why doesn't the family preserve the good will she has earned over the years by closing the restaurant and converting it to a museum?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Then why doesn't the family preserve the good will she has earned over the years by closing the restaurant and converting it to a museum?

There already is a Anita (Mama) Eapinoza museum... across the highway, just around the sharp turn... See photos on the first two pages of this April, 2006 trip web site: http://vivabaja.com/406/

(one of the photos was included in the Baja Calendar a couple years back)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 07:20 PM

I work with a previous Ops Manager at Knotts. I'll ask him tomorrow about the manequin in the jail. He probably knows the answer.

As for the food in Baja. It's Baja. If you ever expect clean, fresh, or US standards, you'll be disappointed. Be happy finding somewhere to eat when you're in the middle of the friggin' desert.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
I work with a previous Ops Manager at Knotts. I'll ask him tomorrow about the manequin in the jail. He probably knows the answer.

As for the food in Baja. It's Baja. If you ever expect clean, fresh, or US standards, you'll be disappointed. Be happy finding somewhere to eat when you're in the middle of the friggin' desert.

There are MANY great places to eat along the way down through Baja. Mama's is just not one I could choose to go to these days.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 07:12 AM

Quote:

It was Joe :-)

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

There are MANY great places to eat along the way down through Baja. Mama's is just not one I could choose to go to these days.

...and yet, I have never had a bad meal there... and service was greatly improved as of 2 years ago when her grandson was in charge instead of daughter Roli. Before, it was a bit slow... but that is typical for most Baja restaurants where it is considered rude to rush any of the service of give you a bill before you ask for it.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 10:04 AM

Actually it was Sad Eye Joe.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 10:09 AM

Some cool historical info on KBF.

http://thenostalgialeague.com/expedition/knotts/knotts1.html
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 10:22 AM

More.

http://www.octhen.com/2005/04/knotts-berry-farm.htm
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Actually it was Sad Eye Joe.

Wow!!!! After 50 years of me calling him Joe! never knew the Sad Eye part. Txs! Funny.....I bought this farm a few years ago...and we are growing.........Boysenberries!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...and yet, I have never had a bad meal there...

perhaps you are gourmand but not a gourmet :lol:
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 02:24 PM

Steeped in Baja History and average Mexican food.

Still a Landmark to be seen.

[Edited on 6-29-2011 by greengoes]
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 02:46 PM

Last time I ate there I peeed out the wrong hole for 12 straight hours the following day from El Rosario to Mulege in the worst storm I've ever had to drive through.

:!:

yuletide
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 03:38 PM

Like I say if you don't like it don't stop and eat there. Trust me Mama Espinoza's Restaurant will survive without you!

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes

Steeped in Baja History and average Mexican food.

Still a Landmark to be seen.

[Edited on 6-29-2011 by greengoes]

Good one !!( graphic)

oldtortisegrl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 02:48 PM
mama espinoza's

We ate there on our way south....8 of us. We will never return either. After we all sat down we realized the prices were high. Ate there anyway, food was nothing special and paid a huge tab for tacos mostly. My bad.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 03:02 PM

Mama's is not the place to stop for tacos, IMO... Plenty of taco stands and Hugo's 'Tacos Mision', along the highway through town. Breakfast at Mama's is always a safe bet (for us anyway) and next door to Baja Cactus if you want to walk to your meal.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo

Hmmm. Perhaps because a whole lotta folks rely on their jobs there???

And, I go back to a couple of things mentioned by Davidk and the other David.

In the case of Davidk, about never having a bad meal there, it's mostly about personal taste. Obviously, if the majority of folks came away feeling like they had a crappy meal, the restaurant would go out of business.

That said, the "other" David, Elinvestigator, has it right.

Anyone who came away and complains, just don't go back. There will still be many who enjoy their experience.

And, as I posted earlier, dining at Mama's is at least as much about the history of Baja as it is about the food. Enjoy!
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Like I say if you don't like it don't stop and eat there. Trust me Mama Espinoza's Restaurant will survive without you!

That may or may not be true. Lots of famous restaurants have gone out of favor and closed, even one's with "nostalgia and history". My BF got sick last time he ate there, breakfast by the way, that's worse than food not tasting good, that's bad food or unsanitary conditions. Not the only person on this thread to get sick either so it wasn't an isolated incident. Plus, how much harder is it to serve good food and do better than just survive? I feel bad saying this because I'd love to support them, write great reviews and say nice things about the place but I can't at this point.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.