Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Planning a few weeks in Baja
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WideAngleWandering
I can't make heads of tails of this but Betsy seems to have auto-repaired herself. Perhaps I have redeemed myself in the eyes of the Pai Pai and they lifted their curse.

Seriously, I have no idea. Not three hours ago I was struggling to maneuver around town and now it's all good. Rock stuck in the steering column? Who knows.

So to take this back to planning - any recommendations for a night in Ensenada? :)

spend $10 and have a guy get under there and look at everything. your symptoms don't just happen and then go away. you don't want to have steering problems at 55 mph out along the desert hiway.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
spend $10 and have a guy get under there and look at everything. your symptoms don't just happen and then go away. you don't want to have steering problems at 55 mph out along the desert hiway.

Great advice Woody
And it is just not the 55 mph events that worry me,
I have been going down Baja hills at 5 mph where a steering loss would have had me singing in the AngelChoir sooner than I expected.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 09:38 AM

I poked around myself and also showed it to a local mechanic. It's tough to diagnose because it is intermittent.

I talked to some mechanics back in the states and they think it is likely I have something floating around in the steering box - a bit of metal or something. The smart thing is to replace it.

I believe I have found a good unit in Stockton, CA. They have offered to ship it to me at a restaurant, hotel or shop in Baja. I'm not sure how that would work with customs and so forth but they are confident they can get it to me.

Do you think that would be better than going up to San Diego to retrieve it myself?

Next question - I'm in Ensenada. I need to find a mechanic to do the installation for me. The procedure isn't too difficult from what I've read but I want a good mechanic. Lee's helpful thread doesn't list anyone in Ensenada.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 09:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a busted axle - good news - they used this axle on Toyota pickups in Mexico so I should be able to get it fixed w/o a bus trip to Tijuana & a parts hand-off at the border.

In the meantime, the fish tacos and tkt are keeping me busy. Next on the agenda, acquire a local SIM so I can call BajaDock's mechanic ...

For what it's worth, the first mechanic I showed it to completely misdiagnosed the problem.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 03:39 PM

She's now in the hands of Monzie Fernandez, bajadock's recommended mechanic. I'm hoping for a diagnosis later tonight.

[Edited on 2012-8-20 by WideAngleWandering]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 03:59 PM

good luck ! a reference is always a good idea, smart to ask for one. this site can really be helpful whether the issue at hand be a mechanic or hotel or restaurant. people will tell it like it is !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
here is the last Rancho Coyote sign that I saw:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/i7ZqI2uuA5D9sJaq9eOCMt...

The gate is about about half mile past this sign on the right.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 06:42 PM

I think I just got a diagnosis of "mal manejando" leading to a completely destroyed left front axle shaft. Ah well, live and learn. Hopefully parts will be available tomorrow and I'll be back on the road by Wed/Thurs.

TW - gracias. I'll keep that in mind for attempt #2.

[Edited on 2012-8-22 by WideAngleWandering]
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 05:03 PM

aye, que mal suerte. The axle housing is cracked and not available down here.

The search for parts is back on. If anybody knows of an axle housing (or good complete axle) for a 60 series landcruiser I happen to be looking for one.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 06:05 PM

Good luck man. I was stranded for a week in San Vicente once with a blown head gasket. It ended up being one of my best weeks in Baja -- all time. Got invited to parties, met people, ate and drank.

Enjoy!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Good luck man. I was stranded for a week in San Vicente once with a blown head gasket. It ended up being one of my best weeks in Baja -- all time. Got invited to parties, met people, ate and drank.

Enjoy!

Attitude is everything in Mexico and ateo has the right attitude!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 03:54 PM

It wasn't the housing after all (whew) just a birfield joint. Trouble is ... the parts were shipped to me via US Mail (to a hotel in Ensenada where I've been staying).

I'm quite worried there will be a handoff to the Mexican postal service and those parts will not arrive in any sort of predictable fashion.

I made a plea for DHL but the parts are already away ... how likely is it that they'll get here and how long will it take?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
I've had an interesting few days for sure. I'll write more in a bit but the summary is:

* got lost in the sierras - never found that observatory
* thrashed my steering pretty good while trying to make my way out
* crawled out and camped at a rancho with a couple of helpful friendly rooster ranchers
* drove muy despacio to Ensenada. Checked in at the Hotel Santo Tomas while I try to figure out how to diagnose and acquire parts for Betsy (she was named by the previous owner - it's stenciled into the seat cover so the name sticks for now).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to gets parts from the states for this one. Ug.

If you are in Ensenada check out the YOUNKE PLACES just like in the US they all are on a HOT LINE and will find what you are looking for Muy PRONTO.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
It wasn't the housing after all (whew) just a birfield joint. Trouble is ... the parts were shipped to me via US Mail (to a hotel in Ensenada where I've been staying).

I'm quite worried there will be a handoff to the Mexican postal service and those parts will not arrive in any sort of predictable fashion.

I made a plea for DHL but the parts are already away ... how likely is it that they'll get here and how long will it take?

Oh gee... everything I read says all international mail goes to Mexico City first... Hope you like Ensenada, you may be there quite awhile!! :wow:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:07 PM

Well, here's the thing - mechanic back in the states sent me two upgraded birfields (less likely to break than stock). At the same time I got a part number for a part off an early 80s Toyota pickup that will work and Monchie found one in Baja.

My worst case scenario is I use the local part, wasted a few hundred bucks on upgrades that will never arrive and I'm back on the road in a few days.

If my concerns about mex correo are unfounded I'll stick around and see if they ever arrive but if that's futile then I'll just cut my losses ... there's too much Baja to explore to be hanging around Ensenada ...
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
I've had an interesting few days for sure. I'll write more in a bit but the summary is:

* got lost in the sierras - never found that observatory
* thrashed my steering pretty good while trying to make my way out
* crawled out and camped at a rancho with a couple of helpful friendly rooster ranchers
* drove muy despacio to Ensenada. Checked in at the Hotel Santo Tomas while I try to figure out how to diagnose and acquire parts for Betsy (she was named by the previous owner - it's stenciled into the seat cover so the name sticks for now).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to gets parts from the states for this one. Ug.

If you are in Ensenada check out the YOUNKE PLACES just like in the US they all are on a HOT LINE and will find what you are looking for Muy PRONTO.

Think you mean to say YONKE (?) or JUNK YARD (English)

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well, here's the thing - mechanic back in the states sent me two upgraded birfields (less likely to break than stock). At the same time I got a part number for a part off an early 80s Toyota pickup that will work and Monchie found one in Baja.

My worst case scenario is I use the local part, wasted a few hundred bucks on upgrades that will never arrive and I'm back on the road in a few days.

If my concerns about mex correo are unfounded I'll stick around and see if they ever arrive but if that's futile then I'll just cut my losses ... there's too much Baja to explore to be hanging around Ensenada ...

When your truck is running again, from Yonke parts, tell the motel to keep your package and you will pick it upon your way back north (if you will be in Baja over a month).

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:13 PM

I don't plan on coming back up through Baja. I'll be hitting the mainland next.

Has anyone ever successfully received a package from the states via US Mail? Has anyone ever tried and failed?

Those parts may be a gift to Monchie if they ever arrive.

I'm losing my Baja attitude over this :fire:

I may need to go find some beer and fish tacos to settle me down.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:

David I Know what I meant .

Moncie will get it done, Sooner or Later He is almost as reliable as the mail.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

David I Know what I meant .

Moncie will get it done, Sooner or Later He is almost as reliable as the mail.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay, you're welcome for the correction as there is no word spelled the way you spelled it... I was trying to help the other person(s) who will never see the word YOUNKE in Mexico, okay?

Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.