Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: marlin marlin marlin
bajaumpaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:16 PM

My computer is missing letters. I'm sorry. So as to be clear on the above post. It should be that 3 licensed anglers each took one marlin and brought the three fish to shore. Sorry for not being cleared on that statement.
docvandijk

Mood: Vitir y dar vitir

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:21 PM

It's a marlin - not a Unicorn.

We're catching more marlin than 30 years ago specifically due to catch and release. Smart operators encourage catch and release, particularly in an ecologically driven tourist market, but there will always be that "customer" who only came to the Baja to fill his cooler, just like the old days when all they wanted was a picture of a hung fish. Part of the job of the operator is to educate their customers. I'm sure when these guys proudly posted their pics they did not know they were flying into the fracas by violating local custom and practice. Blame whomever you want over not educating them.

Allegedly a 2nd class table fish, striped marlin remains on the menu at a number of fine restaurants. Personally I prefer Blues.

Grow up and face some facts: If you're going to catch these fish you will have a mortality rate of at least 10%.

Nevertheless, killing three intentionally is just dumb.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by docvandijk

Grow up and face some facts: If you're going to catch these fish you will have a mortality rate of at least 10%.

10% mortality? Even with circle hooks?

If that's the case, those boats that go for catch and release records are killing a lot of fish in the process. If they catch and release up to 190 in one day...well, that's a heap of dead marlin.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Your so wrong, they are not legal. Learn the law !!!

Hey man. I'm just reading what it says. There's no provision on a 'per boat' basis. Cortez resorts kill a lot of billfish, get over it. Put the bong down and go for a walk.

Just to confirm what I believe is true I will drop a line to the Conapesca today and let you know, ok? Then the loser should apologize, because you are just being rude to Blanca and she doesn't deserve it.

lol... now I'm curious if these fellas are big enough to admit they're wrong.
bajaumpaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:56 PM

I should have added one more thing. Please don't take my word for it. Call the San Diego office that I reference above and get the straight skinny. If I am right, some people owe Blanca and others an apology for misquoting the law. Also remember - a fish wouldn' get caught if he didn't open his mouth.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:56 PM

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Feathers
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
:biggrin:

x3 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: One grin for each delicious Marlin. :P

[Edited on 9-26-2012 by Feathers]
bajaumpaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 02:00 PM

I have already called them - save your stamp and buy a cerveza. See above posts and you are right (according to their San Diego office.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 02:20 PM

Really, all I ask is that we treat each other with respect, even when you think or know the other person is WRONG .... I am learning as we go ... I did learn about black sea bass last time (The Hard Way with lots of internet yelling) and now I have learned about marlin. Boy, never in my wildest dreams did I think the pic would reap so much havoc.

Our people from sagarpa who are at the B&B are not working today - due to the earthquake in La Paz, all offices are closed. So, they could not contact their amigos to ask the question. Since bajaumpaw did a great service and called the San Diego offices, I can rest easy. We are not into breaking the law, no sir. no mam.

Interesting enough though, the marine biologist from CONAPESCA at the hotel (her specialty is abalone) said not all mero are in danger and she is going to let me know if the specific one found around here is in fact on the endangered list or not. She will stop by Joaquin's to look at the photo there.

Now that the bruhaha is over, I need to correct something I wrote: Les in fact let his marlin go - the other marlin was in fact from another fisherman in another boat. It was hanging there with Frank and Ernesto's, so Les took the photo. Since I made the posting from the photo while Les was taking a siesta, and when he corrected me the poopoo was already hitting the fan - I did not want to retract my mistake and be slammed even more .... but that's all for now folks.

BESIDES MARLIN AND BLACK SEA BASS, WHAT OTHER FISH ARE ON THE ENDANGERED / MOST LOVED AND MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS LIST IN BAJA ?????

[Edited on 9-26-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 02:47 PM

You rock Blanca.
Way to weather the storm with grace and dignity.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers
Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Your so wrong, they are not legal. Learn the law !!!

Hey man. I'm just reading what it says. There's no provision on a 'per boat' basis. Cortez resorts kill a lot of billfish, get over it. Put the bong down and go for a walk.

Just to confirm what I believe is true I will drop a line to the Conapesca today and let you know, ok? Then the loser should apologize, because you are just being rude to Blanca and she doesn't deserve it.

lol... now I'm curious if these fellas are big enough to admit they're wrong.
remember the fonz!:lol:
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 04:46 PM

Blanca the Rooster fish is not endangered but has a huge following including myself,they are just a special fish that needs to be C/R as often as possible,they should not be a problem up your way,you handled this very well!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 05:03 PM
bajaumpaw

HOLA, that what I thought was the facts !! till recently spent a hell of a LOT of time taking folks fishing from cabo to pulmo and dont target stripers (marlin) hard on my gear,not the best eating and the resorce in b.c.s. has taken a beating !! the last one to come over my gunnel was around 20 years ago on 40lb line with NO leader...what hurts a marlin the most is long dragged out figh and little ox...more or less drowning..for C/R quik to leader and you dont have to hold them up ether IMO..now when I lived on alcapuco bay it was black & blues and running boats in CR was SAILS..thanks for pic blanca... and lets all do the ocean's and river's RIGHT !! damn japan!! thats who you shouldbe taking your grief out on !! and you might think twice before dumping!! K&T:cool: wsb tomorrow..yee ha !!!

[Edited on 9-27-2012 by captkw]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 05:16 PM
"TOUCHE"

Quote:
- a fish wouldn' get caught if he didn't open his mouth.
THATS A NFUNNY !! lol:lol:
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 07:46 PM

Blanca

We haven't met yet but we will.

Your place will hopefully do me the honor of catching and keeping my first marlin.

Someone needs to read the rules on limits and it ain't you.

Son of a California Fish & Game Warden
docvandijk

Mood: Vitir y dar vitir

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:
Originally posted by docvandijk

10% mortality? Even with circle hooks?

If that's the case, those boats that go for catch and release records are killing a lot of fish in the process. If they catch and release up to 190 in one day...well, that's a heap of dead marlin.

The pro boats catching 190 are slamming fish in no time and are using breakaway leaders. They leave a lot of hooks and leaders on fish. The hooks are designed to dissolve. I witnessed a "catch and release" completed in under 17 seconds. The catch is when the deck hand touches the leader. Using IGFA standard double line and leader length they get the fish in a hurry.

10% is, from my readings, a pretty standard motality estimate. I'm pretty sure the length of the fight is the major factor.

I think Captks is right about the fight. The average Joe from Cocamo is going to take some time. As we all know, some fish just fight harder than others.

I'm all for catch and release, but I already got my one marlin picture in 1983. There are two parts to catch and release. I'm all for the catching part too.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
When you fish in Mexican waters follow the rules. I know Mike Odell has won some of the big marlin tournament as we have. You have to know all the rules not make them up. Only fisherman should really comment on this, not the week end fisherman who doesn't have a clue.
any other clueless weekend fishermen waiting for a response?:?:
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 10:12 PM

Legal or not...All I see are three yo-yos with three awesome fish that sre more spectacular in the water than out of the water.
Feathers
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dorado50
Legal or not...All I see are three yo-yos with three awesome fish that sre more spectacular in the water than out of the water.

That's weird. All I see is two happy fishermen and three unicorns.

I think my s#it is a lot better than yours. :dudette:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 07:29 AM
NICE FISH !!

YEP,THATS WHAT I SEA ALSO !! HEY,,,,,DIDN'T JESUS FISH ?? NOT THAT I BELIVE IN JESUS !! I DO BELIVE IN THE FISH GODS !!! LOL K&T:cool:
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.