Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: La Florida-San Diego-La Paz & Back: Oct 29 - Nov 19
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 04:58 PM

Bryan,

It's taking a long time for all the photos to load before I can read the latest post. If you divided future posts into parts/chapters it would help for those bandwidth challenged.

Thanks

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by tripledigitken]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bryan,

It's taking a long time for all the photos to load before I can read the latest post. If you divided future posts into parts/chapters it would help for those bandwidth challenged.

Thanks

yes please... and I am very high speed Internet... and it is still taking a long time to fully open to see or even read the text. Please do more separate replies or posts to show all your great photos. Instead of putting 3 dozen in one post, make 3 posts with a dozen photos in each. THANK YOU BRYAN!:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:30 PM

Good idea Ken & Dave. I've been so busy, I hadn't even thought of that. Okay here goes Nov. 06, in several parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bryan,

Thanks

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 07:41 PM

Now that we are on a page with no pictures it's all good.:D
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 10:20 AM

Did the electricity go out ? What happened to Nov. 6????? We will have to wait for his answer...he is on his way south to Aguja today! What an amazing adventure he is on.

Next time, Bryan, you should contact neighbor Gary because he loves this type of adventure too.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 04:56 PM

thought I would post this fantastic photo of a donation Bryan made to a kid who just started studying architecture in La Paz!

thanks so much !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 03:28 PM
No one saw the humor in that?

msteve1014 , you're the only one that saw the humor. That was a really short post. Loaded quick. One of my best. :P

Seriously though, something came up that took me away from continued posting that needed to be handled immediately and suddenly it was bedtime for a 6:45am departure from Blanca & Wes's place the next morning and it was a VERY long drive (time-wise) to La Ajuga, almost 12 hours, arriving in the dark. More on that segment later. Hopefully by this evening.

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Now that we are on a page with no pictures it's all good.:D

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 10:53 PM

Looking forward to hearing from you at LA AGUJA :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:07 PM

Awesome day. And previous evening. Linda y Roberto are awesome hosts/folks. Great property off the beaten path.

Every time I get a few quiet hours to sit down and update (when I'm not driving), Other thing suck my time out of keeping current. More in the AM.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Looking forward to hearing from you at LA AGUJA :light:

[Edited on 2013-11-11 by bryanmckenzie]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:14 PM

Blanca, that's a great photo! Thanks. I didn't have time to do that before my flight. I hope it's some of the things an architectural student might need. From many days/years gone by.

Remember what I told you about the HP calculator? Reverse POLISH operation. Sorry, Les, but that is what I have been told it's called since 1977.

U2U me if you don't remember how to operate the calculator ... it's very simple.

Blanca & Les, thanks for finding the resources to sponsor a young Mexican person study in a professional field !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
thought I would post this fantastic photo of a donation Bryan made to a kid who just started studying architecture in La Paz!

thanks so much !

[Edited on 2013-11-11 by bryanmckenzie]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 04:47 AM

Wouldn't Cuba be closer for dental care to Florida?
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Florida is new territory for me. Not by choice. Eldercare. My heart will always be on the west coast ... USA or Mexico or Canada.

Yeah, Bajahowodd, I debated that last night, too. It looked good after a few beverages, but now that I'm reviewing the thread, I've decided it's kinda ugly. I'm pulling the open-mouth pics off. Thanks for reminding me. I was trying to put it "ALL" out there --- the good, the bad, the ugly, the real life.

Hopefully there will be many more good pics during the next few weeks that I can share.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Maybe could have lived without the open mouth dental photos, but otherwise you posted great photos.

Most Floridians that visit Mexico travel to Cancun, simply because it is a relatively short flight.

[Edited on 2013-11-1 by bryanmckenzie]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 10:29 AM
Lazy Day Asuncion

What a glorious day to sloth around Asuncion. I never even got to town. I liked La Bufadora Inn so much. And for those of you know what post-medical antibiotics do to your digestive system, I preferred to remain near an, ugh, how do I say this delicately ... "facility." After sleeping in, Shari and daughter, Sereena, fixed me up with a bit of breakfast. Then did lots of Baja Nomad postings while watching the ocean and world go by.

Counting Abolone

Outdoor "office" didn't work real well.

Building walls. I love work. I caould watch it all day long.

El jefe, Juan.

Shari & daughter Sereena ... low tide at the blowhole.

The ladies.

The gentlemen.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 10:33 AM

Nice... :cool:

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 11:31 AM
11.07.2013: Bahia Asuncion to La Bocana via coastal dirt road

I was awake at 6:30 as the sky started to lighten. I rolled over but looked out the window at 7-ish to watch the sun come over the horizon. I stayed in bed until about 8:00, simply thinking about "stuff" sometimes covered in heavy bedding, sometimes too warm and throwing it off. It felt great to be a sloth for a little while. I've done this several times during this trip. After a light breakfast, I was once again online and making a few calls. The three fishermen from San Diego departed this morning with their full-laden truck and on-board freezer full of fish that they packed yesterday.

While Shari and Juan were out-and-about, I stuck around. And was pleasantly surprised by multiple Nomad visitors. ElCap, his wife and another couple were passing through and stopped in to say hello and we shared Baja stories. They made a nice donation of surfboards and wetsuits. A bit later BajaLuna and her husband also stopped by I learned that they are now the proud owners of a house in Asuncion, too.

At 3:00, I knew it was time to head out on to La Bocana on the coastal dirt road. I knew it would be 2+ hours and needed to be in before nightfall. I almost made it. So I said my goodbyes to Shari & Juan and family and departed at 3:30. After buying groceries and some non-Pemex fuel, I was finally on the road at 4pm.

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 11:34 AM

Nomad ElCap provided a road report of "good, 40-50 mph" and that made up mind for to go this route rather than back to highway 1. I had also decided to drive through San Hipolito as opposed to the higher "bypass" road. Up to Hipolito, passing through Punta Prieta, the road was very good and I managed 45 miles per hour. I saw no other cars.

My tire-of-choice? Hankook, of course.

Because the road had multiple "threads", I made a few stops to "read" which one to take, looking at road condition and previous tire treads.

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 11:35 AM

New waterline air release valves.

As I passed through Hipolito, I saw no one about, until one of the last houses. It seemed the entire village was at some sort of a party or event. After Hipolito, the road quality went seriously downhill (washboard) and as light faded the vados started. Big Vados. Approaching La Bocana one set of lonely headlights approached me and I'm thinking "who is this guy getting started so late on a 55 mile drive?" It was Federale truck, probably doing one last 'sweep' of the road.

Following the powerlines made it comfortable knowing there was life ahead. Arrived just after sunset at Les & Blanca's house (easy to find) at 6:15pm. We went and dinner at the new restaurant. My fajitas turned out to be a slab of meat and some lettuce. Hmmmm? Disappointing. But the conversation was good and meeting more Nomads was the point. After dinner it was time to be online a bit until the power went out at 10pm. Most likely one of the many osprey nests on top of a power pole either caught fire or did something to a transformer. That was my sign to get a good night's rest.

[Edited on 2013-11-23 by bryanmckenzie]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 08:30 AM
From Lopez Mateoz

Since I forgot my laptop computer power cord at Rancho La Aguja, I'm trying to conserve battery until I can hopefully locate one in Loreto this morning. I am using Mula's computer as I dare not drain my battery. So trip posts may be lagging behind once again. I hope I have everyone's contact info written down.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 09:20 AM

We can wait... Just have fun... :light:

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 09:32 PM

I am safely in Guererro Negro as of about 45 minutes ago with wifi. It was an 11-hour drive with 2 hours in Loreto.
Drove in the dark from San Ignacio to GN.

Mula hooked me up with a guy in Loreto that sold me a universal power cord unit (with 12 adapters) for P$600. I'm back in business. Mula, you are awesome!

Also got the FMT in Loreto, was grilled a bit as to "why in Loreto? and not GN, Ensenada, Tijuana", etc. Except for a lack of banks and all Banamex ATM's not working, it went smooth and would have been only 1 hour instead of two. Again, Mula, thanks for an awesome tip, a good map, though it's real easy to find!

More on these items when I get to those days.

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Since I forgot my laptop computer power cord at Rancho La Aguja, I'm trying to conserve battery until I can hopefully locate one in Loreto this morning. I am using Mula's computer as I dare not drain my battery. So trip posts may be lagging behind once again. I hope I have everyone's contact info written down.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:40 AM

Well dang! Bryan, you were long gone before we discovered you'd left the power cord here. Glad to hear that you arrived safely in Guerrero Negro and that you were able to get everything you needed in Loreto. Drive safely with all those race people on the road!
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.