BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Any news about Bahia de Los Angeles?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:26 AM

Here's a look at the washout at Catavina...

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:28 AM

My friend Bill Walton and his wife Pam drove out of LA Bay on Wednesday. They had to cut through the open desert at times detouring around washouts and running water but they made it home from their LA Bay house.

It took them 20+ hours to get home from LA Bay…

However, Bill is a Baja veteran and has been traveling Baja for 35 years ….

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:29 AM

do you know when this photo was taken?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

It was posted by Blanca Diaz on Facebook today. Not sure when it was actually taken. I'll see if I can find out for ya.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:47 AM

I think Tonyo ia Resendiz, not Resindez.

I'm trying to figure out the flood pattern, though it seems to be random. The whole bay in sand, flood channels appear and disappear.

From the big arroyo across the air strip the terrain descends to the sea, and also - to the South, there is good 15 or 20 meters descend from the airstrip to the town. Most water goes towards the town center and malecon and stays there because it's a low land. Homes on the beaches between town and air strip are getting run-offs from that main flood stream - which could be as much as half of that main stream, and those are random, impossible to tell where they would go next time.

Closer to La Gringa there is another big arroyo, and from there it also goes South-East, but there are fewer people there.

Somebody on Mia forum mentioned a tropical storm in 1993, but that much flood is something abnormal, in this area. I think the climate IS changing.
VermilionSeaInstitute

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:57 AM
Relief for Bahia

Hi there Nomads,
I am going to attempt to drive down to Bahia de los Angeles tomorrow in order to bring supplies and help to the community. If anyone knows of any community members with a specific need, please don't hesitate to let me know.
I will do my best to take pictures and bring back updated information.

Meghann McDonald
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:10 PM

Meghann - do you have any current road conditions?? I'm hoping to go down as early as Saturday, but do not want to get stopped for hours at washouts etc - I know that the BOLA road is going to be off road for most of the way but is passable - thanks - marv
VermilionSeaInstitute

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:19 PM
no road conditions updates yet

Sorry Marv,
No idea what I'm going to be in for, but I'll be well equipped and ready for anything (I hope!) I'll post updates as soon as I'm able.

Meghann

P.S. My dad (Lane) says hi!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
The pics above from Marv...where exactly does he live? North of town? larry - do you have any solid news for us southside folks? I'll ask Doc. Thanks.

Doug
Marv lives up near La Gringa, right next to Los Vientos spa.
I know the road south of town down to Gecko is drivable. Ramon the gate guard at my old house has driven it and Paola and Angela the Italians over at Rincon were able to drive out and made it into town so it appears the south bay avoided the worst of the damage. Sorry but I don't have any specific info at this time. Janice and Jay are on their sailboat and have a place next door to my old place and promised they would take a look around and report back soon.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:42 PM

Thanks. After I posted I got news that we appear to have made it through without too much damage.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Ok, from what I have been told, they opened up the road to traffic yesterday morning so this pic must have been taken either earlier that morning or on Tuesday.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 05:21 PM

Does anyone know how hard Raquel and Larry's and the surrounding houses were hit? I wonder if the airstrip survived.
ladydi

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 07:42 PM
Odile!

We have a house 3 lots North of Glendale school & got a email this afternoon saying we had No damage & No damage to our neighbors house Chris.
I also heard the Navy,Marines & Government are helping out in BOLA
Does anyone know if the road into Town is open yet?
Our thoughts & prayers go out to all
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 07:46 PM

road is open desert all around the pavement. you can make it with 4x4 today, prolly a sedan in a few more days.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 07:55 PM

Can anybody remind me, where is that camp called Ejido RV that Antonio mentioned?
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 07:58 PM

Just read that it is clear driving all the way down to GN on Mex 1.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Can anybody remind me, where is that camp called Ejido RV that Antonio mentioned?

I am going to guess it is the abandoned government trailer park... right by the turtle research center. It is where the pavement once ended coming in from town. We stayed there in 1976... it was a busy place then!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 08:45 PM

Here you go!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152495668123005&s...

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

I am going to guess it is the abandoned government trailer park... right by the turtle research center. It is where the pavement once ended coming in from town. We stayed there in 1976... it was a busy place then!

Yes, it's been abandoned for years. Occasional big rigs stopped there, because of flat paved spaces, though hookups didn't work. Paving is probably ripped now by flood channels.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Here you go!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152495668123005&s...

Impressive. One thing is when you read that 60 homes were "affected", and another thing when local explains: "... sin casas".

Have you read the comments on looting in La Paz? Guys with machetes come in and take things that are not anything "basic". Cars, jewelry, plasma TVs.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.