Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  11
Author: Subject: Carjacking
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 05:39 PM

Again, the San Ignacio and Loreto (North) checkpoints are manned by the 16 CINE Infantry outfit at San Lucas, if anyone wishes to know. I've been hassled the most by both myself.

This Nomania is once again out of control. It's even flushed in the blood-feud from the OT.... there's been enough damage here. I suggest taking that entire segment back to its' proper fermentation vat.

It happened. It's bad. Needs fixed. No more aspersions on the OP's validity, please. There's been enough suffering here than to add insult to injury.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 06:05 PM

Nice work Nomads! Maybe not done yet, but I like to see news stories challenged! If they don't hold water, they will fall apart. I wish we did that north of the border :light:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I was skeptical, but not any more. I checked the photo information (with photoshop) and they were taken with an iPhone on January 2nd. First photo of the police cars was around 11:00 a.m. and the injury shots were taken between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. I was hoping this was a hoax.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by BigWooo]

are the image numbers counting backwards on an iPhone?
how did a 01-05 (IMG_2650) get in there

the images actually raise more questions

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:23 PM

According to a poster on talk Baja this happened at 5 am.
It's unfortunate, but How many times do people have to be told to not drive at night in Baja?

Joe, sometimes you're an a$$hat, this is one of those times.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevind  
Greetings,
When I first posted my account of what the father of the family told me, I did so with only one purpose: to share the story in the interest of safety. No underlying sinister hate motive as one of you has implied. Ask yourselves: why would anyone make-up a story like this? What would the motive be? I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. The father had never heard of Baja Nomad so that is why he did not post. After reading the vitriolic/accusatory response to MikeW and my posts the father is less than enthusiastic about posting now and I do not blame him. By the way I was incorrect it was in fact his "Tibia" that was shattered by the hammer blow. Sorry about the Doctor Speak Harald. Now to continue with my original intentions which is to inform. The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

Even if they do not want to file a police report, it is extremely important that they file a report with the US consulate in Tijuana. I have been in contact with them and to date, no report has been filed and they were completely unaware this had happened. PM me and I can give you the instructions who to contact at the consulate. They depend on these first hand reports to be able to get out the word to other travelers...

skibum

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:55 PM

Thank you so much for posting this information.

I'd encourage all of the doubters here to drive back and forth through the area in question for a few weeks and report back.

I will be a little more cautious in the area (sadly).
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:23 PM

This is just another Nomad embarrassment. Like the guy last week who posted a great fish report and got chased off this forum to never post again. WTF folks??? Please put your petty issues aside and try to encourage useful information from those who take the time and effort to inform us here.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:47 PM
Thank you bornfisher

Amen and agree..some folks around HERE have WAYYY too much time and meaness on their hands

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by captkw]
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:03 PM

This evening, I was made aware of this thread. If you wish to pursue this story further. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/
The family is being encouraged to contact Brian Simmons who is the U.S. Consulate in Tiajuana. He is aware of the attack and awaiting their call. Thanks again to the number of BN members who have assisted the family and I by U2U messages containing contact numbers.
Here is a post I copied.

Doc Hollywood: This incident did happen as described. I posted it shortly after it happened to this group where it was also met with some disbelief. They had made it to LV and sought additional medical advice from a doc friend of mine as I was in La Paz. I heard the story second hand from that doc. This was a brutal attack and I suspect their plan was to rape the daughter and quite possibly kill the parents. There are a lot of gringos on this end of the peninsula who will have to drive thru that corridor. Chances of an attack are low but the ramifications would be severe. Forewarned is forearmed.
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:37 PM

Another recent post from https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

We met these lovely unsupecting folks after they arrived to La Ventana~witness to the physical aftermath, stitches, plaster cast and bruises all the while surprisingly resilient attitude~this was a heinous crime~Pray for Mexico~
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 04:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Quote: Originally posted by kevind  
Greetings,
When I first posted my account of what the father of the family told me, I did so with only one purpose: to share the story in the interest of safety. No underlying sinister hate motive as one of you has implied. Ask yourselves: why would anyone make-up a story like this? What would the motive be? I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. The father had never heard of Baja Nomad so that is why he did not post. After reading the vitriolic/accusatory response to MikeW and my posts the father is less than enthusiastic about posting now and I do not blame him. By the way I was incorrect it was in fact his "Tibia" that was shattered by the hammer blow. Sorry about the Doctor Speak Harald. Now to continue with my original intentions which is to inform. The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

Even if they do not want to file a police report, it is extremely important that they file a report with the US consulate in Tijuana. I have been in contact with them and to date, no report has been filed and they were completely unaware this had happened. PM me and I can give you the instructions who to contact at the consulate. They depend on these first hand reports to be able to get out the word to other travelers...

The time to call the US Consulate in Tijuana, is right after the incident or when they were in the hospital, so the US Consulate could make sure that you as an American Citizen are well taken care of, and hopefully put a little pressure on Mexican authorities to do thorough investigation.

Calling them a month later without corroborating evidence is almost a waste of time, especially when Kivind, says the alleged victim(s) shows a reluctance to get the media and press involved, although supposedly there are multiple Mexican police agencies currently investigating this case, and I take it there will shortly be multiple arrests.

Who is Brian Simmons? I thought William A. Ostick, is the U.S Consul General in Tijuana.

I also like the fact that according to Ron, that the U.S consulate in Tijuana, wants to hear "first hand" reports.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by JoeJustJoe]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 04:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
This is just another Nomad embarrassment. Like the guy last week who posted a great fish report and got chased off this forum to never post again. WTF folks??? Please put your petty issues aside and try to encourage useful information from those who take the time and effort to inform us here.

BF, you need to put TWO spaces in between the end of a sentence ending in a period, and the next starting with a capital letter; otherwise makes it very hard to read and makes my eyes cross (~sarcasm is golden!~). Sowwy for the hijack of a thread that has sadly gone down the terlet, yet again.
;D :rolleyes:

86 - 45*

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 05:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Nice work Nomads! Maybe not done yet, but I like to see news stories challenged! If they don't hold water, they will fall apart. I wish we did that north of the border :light:

That's why I sometimes like to challenge some of these stories on "Baja Nomad, and if the stories makes sense, and can withstand a challenge without falling apart.

One of my main goals, when I post in a thread like this is to stop the mass hysteria, these types of threads seem to generate without question from the masses.

It's like the masses seem to be saying, "Oh it's story about white Americans getting hurt, or attacked in Mexico, so it must be true, because we know how bad those Mexicans can be. ( I see this mentality on this site all the time)

Then when somebody like me stops and says, "what a minutes, there are a few weird things about the story, and it isn't even a first hand report. At best it's a second and third hand report, and we don't even know the names of the alleged victims, or anything about them. Yet, I'm suppose to automatically take this story as fact!

This story couldn't fly in a courtroom, or any legitimate newspaper without VERIFIABLE corroborating evidence.

So take it easy people, I'm going to continue to have my skepticism until I see more evidence this alleged tragic incident, and I don't think much of Facebook posts, who claim this story is true.

And if anybody thinks I'm being mean to Michaelw, and Kevind, by daring to question their story. Well, the fact is it's NOT their story, they are repeating a story from an unknown source, so they shouldn't take it personally, although I still want to know how they know each other?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 07:54 AM

Brian Simmons is head of Citizen Services, not the consulate general. He coordinates the consulate efforts when US citizens need assistance in Baja. It is important that the consulate hear the first hand report from the victims of the attack. They have the resources to be able to do their own follow-up to validate the events and formulate any travel warning that would need to be issued in response.

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 09:17 AM

Thank you, Lencho. Another word for 'sarcasm' is 'facetious'. Just trying to lighten things up a little, and no good deed goes unpunished. Also, so I noticed on my own post. Oh well. :coolup:

86 - 45*

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by skibum  
Thank you so much for posting this information.

I'd encourage all of the doubters here to drive back and forth through the area in question for a few weeks and report back.

I will be a little more cautious in the area (sadly).

Since I have gone through the San Ignacio checkpoint many times, I do want to kick in and echo a cautionary sentiment. They have rarely been more than superfluous when heading south. But coming north, that has been the only checkpoint where I have witnessed mordita, been subject to a shakedown and have been routinely harassed.

When you have moto riders pull out the entire contents of a 25 liter side bag that only contains clothing, that is harassment. When you witness a local with 2 school daughters dressed in school clothes have their van emptied and the father forced to exchange money, that is mordita. When the inspector asks you to keep a flashlight and tools during the inspection, that is a shakedown. I guess he settled for minor mordita when we told him to take the case of RedBull instead of the flashlight and tools.

I can understand how reluctance to report problems can be minimalized by transients and even locals knowing this is a permanent installation. I think that taking precautions through that checkpoint is wise. Group up if you can and stay together at the other side until the entire group clears.

We watched another car with just a young American couple get hassled blatantly. We waited for them to clear behind us, the young lady was a handsome girl, the young man was clearly shaken and very appreciative that we lingered to provide some support. Their car stayed close to us for a long time. Awareness and caution are never in bad company when your antenna says that everything is not quite right.

Edit: Thanks to the OP for reporting the incident and a good reminder to watch my P's and Q's.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 10:47 AM
ughhh

So sorry to read about this horrible incident. Our thoughts and prayers for swift and complete recovery ..

On a soapbox for a moment: My comparatively short time of Baja experience (first drive down for me was in 1996) leads me to make these comments: I'm as proud to be an American as I am to be part of the Mexican world/culture/community/family that I married into. It is a sad truth that there are evil do-ers everywhere - unfortunately the jealousy ignited by the audacious displays of material excess results in reprehensible behavior. I cannot offer a solution but I surely wish there was one .. I'm not suggesting that towing a Hobie cat was 'wrong' ... but my initial thought (6th sense perhaps) was what it was ..

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 11:24 AM

I find the OP's report credible.

I have been the victim of crime in Baja (stolen motor cycle that was "found" after I offered and paid a #15,000 MP reward in San Felipe) ... my "ex" was robbed and dumped on highway by airport in San Jose by her taxi driver and an accomplice he picked up on route to airport....

I have tended to frequently travel solo by truck and moto in Baja and have been lucky to not experience difficulties other than mentioned....although a guy at the Vizcaino Pemex (not employee) made a comment to the pump attendant about my truck, moto and "sicarios" while looking at my setup....

This report is the first time I have considered the value of caravaning with at least another vehicle....

Hopefully this matter will gain more traction than Marine asleep at the wheel in terms of official responses.

Don't believe everything you think....
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
So sorry to read about this horrible incident. Our thoughts and prayers for swift and complete recovery ..

On a soapbox for a moment: My comparatively short time of Baja experience (first drive down for me was in 1996) leads me to make these comments: I'm as proud to be an American as I am to be part of the Mexican world/culture/community/family that I married into. It is a sad truth that there are evil do-ers everywhere - unfortunately the jealousy ignited by the audacious displays of material excess results in reprehensible behavior. I cannot offer a solution but I surely wish there was one .. I'm not suggesting that towing a Hobie cat was 'wrong' ... but my initial thought (6th sense perhaps) was what it was ..

I`m sorry but that sounds kinda of funny to me coming from someone with a FLEET of sportfishing boats:lol:
Kencito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 11:45 AM

Could someone please clarify if a uniformed military person was seen as part of the trio? Seems like that would put into another realm of seriousness if that was the case.
I agree that it is very important for the US Consulate hear from the victims directly.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.