BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: The natives are getting angry ?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:07 AM

I would hope that most people just don't care to get all caught up in it.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

My contention from the beginning stands today: a brick and mortar wall was never intended by anybody. All smoke 'n mirrors.
However, militarization in a limited fashion will be the compromise. That wall is already paid for, and in the end it will be a magnanimous gesture to relieve Mexico of the financial burden.

I believe there is a treaty in place presently that prohibits militarization, but ratifying that will be part of the negotiations.

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by DENNIS]

Yeah, a brick and mortar wall makes no sense at all. Well, unless you are feeding contracts to build it to your cronies, I guess. We can control our border with other means; mostly personnel and electronic surveillance.

Of course, the best solution is for Mexico to get their chit together, economically and in terms of security, and give their people no reason to leave. Who wants to leave their family and go through what they do, to get here?

I have no problem with the US securing their border. What nation doesn't take that seriously?

Well, except Mexico, actually. What irony.

You can drive right into Mexico and you are basically on an honor system to get a permit. And almost no one checks for that permit once you are in. They encourage immigration because anyone coming in adds money to the economy. And they encourage emigration because it lessens the headache of trying to pay for their downtrodden AND they send money back.

They want it both ways.

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by Hook]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:38 AM

Is the need for drama that high?

I was all around there for 10 days and experienced no anti-American issues. I saw a Donald Trump piņata in front of a Loreto gift store if that is 'hostile'... I think it was meant to be funny. Kind of like the toilet paper they sold with Obama's face on each sheet.

Us debating on Nomad isn't changing anything beyond our attitudes to each other.

How about a nice landscape photo or campfire story, instead?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:42 AM

great....pauls liquor is back..:rolleyes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I have no problem with the US securing their border. What nation doesn't take that seriously?

Well, except Mexico, actually. What irony.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/07/25/mexican-newspaper-...

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:59 AM

I saw a Trump pinata destroyed quite angrily at the Carnaval parade in Mazatlan last year. It was done by young, male "thugs" but there was some cheering by the bystanders. I didn't feel threatened at the time and thought it somewhat humorous. Back then, he was a far-fetched joke as a presidential candidate.

My, how times have changed.

Carnaval coming up, soon. I will almost guarantee there will be a Trump pinata at any parade. DavidK, remember what happens to pinatas, after they leave the store. Far different than a harmless, hanging pinata in a store.

It might be a good year to avoid large crowds where the pack mentality could surface.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 11:20 AM

I can't imagine a Peņa Nieto piņata would last much longer.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

This may be contrary to studied opinions. If in fact Mexicans dislike North Americans, [and there's evidence to believe some do] it's because of what are....not who we are as individuals.

Never discount that a substantial portion of a population with simply being angry at their situation in life, and be willing to blame others (who are completely blameless) for their misfortune.

N-zi Germany, Vichy France, Russian pogroms of the early 20th Century, Reconstruction in the South, comes to mind.

Even the willingness to vote for The Donald can be attributed to this. The US has a lot of angry people right now. For the first time in our history, we have successive generations who are less wealthy than their parents. Left or Right, Republican or Democrat. That's not supposed to happen in the US. That has NEVER happened in the US. Our culture apparently demands an ever-increasing upward spiral of wealth. :rolleyes:

Our leadership, at the behest of corporations (IMO) have gotten wealthy with a program of shipping good paying jobs in the US overseas, in exchange for cheap, crappy overseas products.

In the meantime, we print bucket loads of money, make lending historically cheap...........and personal income still stagnates. The VELOCITY of the money (how fast it changes hands and creates new wealth) isn't increasing as corporations sit on piles of cash and buy back their own stock to artificially inflate the value of stock their management team holds.

Certainly exorbitant union demands had a part in this, too, over the years.

Mexicans probably feel the same way, after seeing their wealth shrink in the face of gasolinazos and generous pay/benefit packages for teachers unions, Pemex union, public utility unions. What they read about Trump stokes this anger, especially his demand that they pay for the wall. So, some of that anger has a chance of getting transferred to gringos, especially Americans (when they can tell us from Canadians). But, so far, I havent seen it.

I did have a conversation with the workers building a WALL on my lot, yesterday. (I am paying for the wall, not them!). I'm replacing my original cyclone fencing that blew down in Hurricane Newton. An American building a wall, right now, does make for some good jokes at parties and among the workers, of course..........

Anyway, they seemed to have no anger for Americans; only for The Donald. And it's not really anger. They're, like, incredulous. They knew all about his claims to make Mexico pay for The Wall. But they look around themselves and see how poor Mexico is and know that Mexico can't afford to pay for reliable water or good schools, much less The Wall.

Actually, I think Mexico COULD pay for all of that. But corrupt leadership and greedy corporations get in the way. Sound familiar?

You know Hook I could agree with some of your posting here, but at times you completely lose me, like your other posts where you were carefully explaining to the OP of this thread, ways to get Mexicans to like you.

Here is a suggestion, because the things were were advocating I don't think will work.

How to Win Friends & Influence People: DALE CARNEGIE ...

Where you completely lose me is when you blame Mexico's plight on generous pay/benefit packages for teachers unions, and at Pemex.

Really, Hook, it's the teachers unions, that is ruining it for everybody in Mexico?

I know you and your ilk, also blame teacher unions, and all unions in the states too. But unions have been dropping since the 70's, where now there are very few unions in the US, or Mexico. If anything we need more unions in the USA and especially Mexico, so there could be a real middle class,

The middle class is disappearing in the US, and although there are many reason for this, one big reason for wage stagnation, is the disappearance of the unions in the private sector, If you want a good job and good benefits, one of the few places you could still get that is with a government job.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 12:44 PM

Bingo!

For the record Hook, I feel safer camping in Baja than in the U.S.
Since you live in Mexico, I am guessing you have no fear of daily harm.
Mexico can't be worse than Chicago, right? Or, most other American cities where daily murder news is the normal, albeit sad reporting on TV.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
...not all questions are a trap

Define a "trap".

There is an increasing number of semi-professional www spammers, I think the PC term is "internet writer". 20 bucks per article plus once cent per click. Semi-professional because most of them have no clue of the subject that they are trying to sell, and spammers because this is what the result usually is.

They are coming here, asking questions that sound, as Dennis put it, "loaded". Like, "please tell me where people live in Baja and why". Or, the recent escapade of a solar aircraft "pilot". The giveaway sign is that their questions sound what I would call "odd". Another sign, and a very typical one, is that the poster's reaction is limited that of a 6-years old child, - either meaningless "Oh how wonderful" or "People are so unfriendly here, I'm out".
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Bingo!

For the record Hook, I feel safer camping in Baja than in the U.S.
Since you live in Mexico, I am guessing you have no fear of daily harm.
Mexico can't be worse than Chicago, right? Or, most other American cities where daily murder news is the normal, albeit sad reporting on TV.

Most of usa federal land is safer for camping than mexico public lands. I agree much of remote baja is safe, but acre for acre, usa is safer. Just saying.

Mexico can be worse than chicago. MANY places in mexico are much worse than the bad neighborhoods in chicago (much of chicago is safe, great city, love visiting there).

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by mtgoat666]
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 03:09 PM

I suspect that most Mexicans are well tuned in to everything that is happening.

Recently, I was kidding a local business owner about his office being closed on Constitution Day and asking him if they did that EVERY year?! He motioned and said their constitution is "broken" to which I replied, "So is mine". We both laughed and agreed that life goes one and you just do your best.

Mexicans know the common man has no real influence in what goes on. They don't, we don't.

I think Mexicans are more "with it" than we are. They've certainly had their fill of "junk" politics. And that is no matter which side of the issues you are supporting/p*ssing on.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 04:14 PM

You clearly have NO IDEA where I am coming from, JJJ.

I was simultaneously enrolled in TWO educational unions for virtually my entire working career. But being in them helped me see the excesses of them, in many cases. Still, I am pro union because without them, corporations are out of control, with respect to wages paid versus profits earned.

No, JJJ, the middle class has disappeared because corporations found really cheap ways around them by sending the jobs overseas. Unions excesses were partly to blame, but American workers were never going to work for the slave labor wages of China or Mexico, even if the unions were broken.

Now, we are wondering why we cant kick start our economy by simply reducing interest rates. It's because we no longer have that many good paying jobs where people will put SERIOUS money back into the economy, for survival sake. The rich can afford to sit on bucket loads of money, because they own everything they need. They are waiting for the day they can once again earn 4%+ for no risk. The rest of us have to spend to live the lives to which we are accustomed.

Imagine what it's going to be like when the generation that earned defined benefit pensions dies off and we are left with a retiring population with nothing but Social Security. Even less VELOCITY of money.

Of course, the multi-nationals won't care. They will be busy identifying the next countries they can hang out to dry like they did American workers. China is the perfect country for this. The quasi-Communist leadership means there will probably be no strikes allowed and heavy wage controls.

Trickle down economics has been shown to be a sham. Trickle UP is the way to go. Put money in the hands of the middle class and they will spend and create wealth for ALL the classes. That's what make America great. Make the rich EARN the money from the middle class, instead of handing it to them (in the form of tax cuts) and HOPING they invest it. Money in the hands of the middle class increases the VELOCITY of money.

Trump talks that talk, especially while in the midst of a campaign. Let's see what he does. I am not hopeful, with the makeup of his cabinet. I see he has announced some kind of major tax proposal very soon. The stock market over reacted, as usual.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha.  

BTW, you still owe Lee an honest apology;

I owe Lee less than nothing.
It's "Once a Marine, always a Marine" Lee who owes his commander in chief an apology.

Dennis, there's a reason your National Guard experience is considered militia, and not military. Army National Guard aren't considered Veterans either. Tell us how comfortable you were sleeping safely in your bed at night.

Your ''100% service disability'' looks like a scam from here. Can you explain how you qualified for disability in California? You didn't serve in the military, you could have, and maybe couldn't qualify to be a Marine. Accept this as a regret in your life.

Must be your ''psyche meds'' talking. Bet you're still drinking.

Too late to pretend you're one of the patriots on this forum. Bet you think John McCain is no Hero. Right?

Prez pu$$ygrabber was a draft dodger choosing 5 deferments. You and that con man have everything in common. Truly an embarrassment on this forum.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 08:18 PM

R.A jughead. Regular Army.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 08:39 PM

now you're just embarrassing yourself......again:rolleyes:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 09:56 PM

Jeez, and I always thought the National Guard in the 1960's was an easy way OUT of actually having to sleep in a wet cold foxhole in the rain and mud of a rice paddy 5,000 miles from home.

Kinda like bone spur deferment like your (not my) CIC did. By the way, there's a provision in the Military Code of Justice stating that you don't have to obey a direct order if you believe it to be unlawful or unconstitutional; your comment about shooting someone before they come into your foxhole is still way out of line because of an oath that made a lot of needless casualties 40+ years ago that should have been prevented.

Regular Army my azz. REMFs. Too bad you got injured in whatever war you attended. And here all along I thought you were a Veteran.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:04 PM

Rank?
Where did you serve?
What did you do in service?
How long were you in service?
How did you stub your toe and get total disability?

Denny boy, I think you are full of chit. I think the only true part of your story is you collected disability, probably for some faked ailment.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 11:11 PM

The way I heard it, Dennis was one of the few who actually saw action while serving in the National Guard. It was during the first Watts Riot, when the National guard was called in.

I understand one of the black rioters somehow got the advantage on Dennis, and held a gun to his head! Somehow Dennis survived the ordeal of a major urban riot in Watts, however, Dennis didn't come out of the urban war with the National guard, unscathed, as the rioting took a toll of Dennis' metal health.

No doubt Dennis suffered from PTSD, as well as the other conditions Dennis has talked about and admitted to over the years.

Here we are 50 years later and Dennis is still suffering from those hot summer nights in Watts over 50 years ago, and he is still is collecting a disability pension.

Laugh at the National Guard, but if this story is true, Dennis probably saw more action that 99% of the real veterans on this forum, and the veteran posers..

[Edited on 2-10-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 12:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
The way I heard it, Dennis was one of the few who actually saw action while serving in the National Guard. It was during the first Watts Riot, when the National guard was called in.
[Edited on 2-10-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

Just make this stuff up as you go along. Comic book stuff.

''The way I heard it...''? What the heck does that mean?

''Dennis was one of the few who actually saw action..."? Now I know you're making this up.

14,000 National Guard showed up for the Watts ''disturbance.'' And you think Dennis was one of the ''few'' who got into it?

Please quote your sources if you care to. You're coming across as looney as Dennis who is lying by saying he was regular Army. He was California National Guard and I have that from the source. Him.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.