BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: If you wanted to buy 3 ATV's at a reasonable cost, what would you buy?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Sxs are super expensive the difference over a atv . There is none I have them all whole life on motos 4 wheel dirt anything. Did off road tours 30 years. For what you want atvs are perfect. Taking family on outings the most reliable I have ever seen but can't remember the model. Is Honda it maybe ex300 the engine is sideways. Another great one ex400 it's the one that uses xr400 dirt bike engine. Stay away from The water cooled ones that use. Dirt bike engines 250x and 450x. Moving up to a sxs is a world better . To just put around get the atv . have fun be safe.

ive had a couple ex400. i regret selling both of them . they are still dusting up the neighborhood years later. simple, bullet proof , easily to hot rod.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 06:27 PM

At one time we had over 15 xr400s none blew up . Still have some super reliable. More then I can say for Honda 250x and 450x.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 06:30 PM

I forgot to answer bajabus yes they use a rubber belt to drive it. The Yamaha has a 5 speed transmission with driveshaft .
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 10:21 PM

...Taking family on outings the most reliable I have ever seen but can't remember the model. Is Honda it maybe ex300 the engine is sideways...

bajatrailrider,
I believe you are referring to the Honda TRX250EX and Recon 250 models, with the 229cc air-cooled longitudinally mounted engine. Longitudinally mounted due to having a driveshaft vs. chain.
The 300EX and 400EX have chain drive.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 10:47 PM

At one time we had over 15 xr400s none blew up . Still have some super reliable. More then I can say for Honda 250x and 450x.

bajatrailrider,
I'm not sure which models you are referring to. Short-cutting the model numbers renders them meaningless. Are you referring to the Honda TRX250EX (229cc) quad? I haven't experienced, nor heard of, any significant problems with that or the Recon 250 (same 229cc). That's one reason why I recommended them on page 2.
I have heard of some problems with the older XR250R (2-wheel dirtbike) engine (a different engine).

Where you wrote"450x" are you referring to the TRX450R, the liquid-cooled quad for racing and Glamis size dunes? JZ seems to love it. However, my impression is that the original poster wasn't inquiring about race-capable machines.
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 11:33 PM

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 11:38 PM

Yes the air cooled Honda atvs are the reliable ones. Water cooled 250/450 yes fast but not long lasting. If you want a water cooled atv again reliable the Yamaha 450. It uses the wr450 dirt bike engine. I don't have a brand I favor. I only know what falls apart fastest.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 06:29 AM

This is all fantastic information, including the various snarks. I never thought it would grow to 2 pages. I was at the Cabo Home Depot yesterday and there was one of those sideways Honda engine quads parked by the outdoor cement area. It looked 20 years old and beat up to hell and back. The model numbers wore off long ago. Guy came out and it started right up, he zoomed off with loaded baskets. I smiled thinking about this thread.

Yes this is not for racing, just family fun in our area. Thanks again to everyone contributing suggestions and explanations for those suggestions.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

impressive stuff.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 11:40 AM

I am late to the party, but i have a 1986 honda foreman in baja for 13 years now. Soaked it in salt water many days. It will not die. You can not go wrong with a hoda.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I am late to the party, but i have a 1986 honda foreman in baja for 13 years now. Soaked it in salt water many days. It will not die. You can not go wrong with a hoda.

if I HAD to choose I'd take Jenna;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 01:36 PM

Well, that certainly was weird. Jizzy listening to justin beiber woe-is-me song... weird to see a grown man being a belieber!

You went out on a date with your dog because your wife declined, eh?

[Edited on 4-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 02:00 PM

I've had the foremen and recon and never had a problem with either, 2wd will be cheaper if you don't need it?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 02:26 PM

Dude. Please start a new thread in the story forum. Even though I know the ending these need to be properly preserved and shared with all the newbies. IMEO. :cool::biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Those 2 pictures you posted are solid gold. Got any more to share? Any of the name brand 4 wheelers are good. No chinese ones.

ehall, I do but I don't want to highjack the thread. I am thinking of finally doing part 4 of "Pillar and the Great Atomic Fireball" The statue of limitations here in Mexico has run out on that one so it think it's safe to post. I will put pics in that thread.

Here are links to parts 1, 2 and three. Please do not clutter up this ATV thread with posts about that story. I think you can still revive those old threads and post there. I am already guilty of having strayed by going down the memory hole. Us old guys get distracted easily.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=221&goto=...

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Well, that certainly was weird. Jizzy listening to justin beiber woe-is-me song... weird to see a grown man being a belieber!

Maybe we'll meet up in Baja some day, and I'll take you on a nice, night-time ride down by the beach with the moon shimmering off the ocean. Doggie in the back and we'll play any music you like.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:22 AM

goat, i would encourage a chaperone on that outing.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:27 AM

Sounds like a new sequel, maybe call it "Brokeback Baja?"

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Maybe we'll meet up in Baja some day, and I'll take you on a nice, night-time ride down by the beach with the moon shimmering off the ocean. Doggie in the back and we'll play any music you like.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 12:50 PM

Ya, but my best friend can drive....and not just sit there drooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mu8iGVYU7k

Just cruising the 'hood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25VDoY2Q5w

Off-roading with yer best friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q51uEsq4hhY

Don't believe everything you think....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 04:14 PM

I see people referring to a RECON by Honda. I have a RINCON by Honda. Is there also a RECON?
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.