Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 11:39 AM

I think we need a separate equine-care thread. Seriously.

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 11:46 AM

One thing for sure, by the time they get to Cabo we all will have graduated from Burro 101 Class!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 02:54 PM

Interesting info. My grand grand mother came to Israel on a back of a burro from the golf of Aden (1300 mile) 90 years ago and I don’t remember her saying something about any problems with the burro ... Good luck Mike , Don Kay, and solo.
I'm enjoying reading this epic adventure .
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 05:24 PM
Jan. 17, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked at least another 10 miles today and they are camping about 6 miles south of El Cuarenta.

That puts them approx. 35 miles from San Juanico... at this pace about 4 days away... maybe 3 if the wind is at their backs!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 06:42 PM

I have had a donkey-pony in Canada and two burros in Baja. The "alfalfa" in Baja is nothing like the alfalfa in Canada or Texas. I would be surprised if it was comparable. Burros like nothing better than the dry sticks and small brush in the desert. It is probably really difficult for Mike to handle Don-Kay's diet.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 07:42 PM

Holy cow!

Next thing you know they'll be giving Don Kay enemas.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 08:23 AM
The DonKay relay

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy cow!

I imagined Mike passing the torch or a baton when he arrives. There weren't any hoses in my vision.
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy cow!

Skipjack Joe,

You are exactly right. An enema of sorts is exactly what will have to be done to save Don Kay if he suffers severe colic. Colic can kill an equine quick. I have had several that suffered from Sand Colic when we lived in Wyoming. The vet will insert a hose down their nostril to their stomach and pump mineral oil into them to help them through the colic.

I suppose I could have said nothing when I saw the posts of the issues Don Kay was having but I assumed his health and safety was more important and their would be genuine concern for his safety.

I am fine with just reading the posts and if health and safety input is not desired I can keep my comments to myself . It would be sad for Don Kay if an issue was not addressed when it could be.

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by somomule]

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by somomule]

Ken
SoMoMule.com
Southern Missouri Mule
Outfitter & Equine Supply
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 08:52 AM

I think Mike will appreciate all Ken's information. He's gonna love it at Cadeje! lots of water and animals, horses, ranchers etc.

Here are some photos of his San Ignacio lagoon stop...maybe Ken can tell from them how don kay looks...

Here is Mike enjoying a cool TKT (hope Capt.Mike notices Juan's -shirt!!)

don kay munching corn...can really tell his hip bones are showing

mike is always a big hit with the kids

sorry about this Dong Kay photo but it kinda shows his ...ummm...condition. He WAS glad to see me!!!jajajaja

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
I suppose I could have said nothing when I saw the posts of the issues Don Kay was having but I assumed his health and safety was more important and their would be genuine concern for his safety.

I am fine with just reading the posts and if health and safety input is not desired I can keep my comments to myself . It would be sad for Don Kay if an issue was not addressed when it could be.

If someone can do or say something that can help, especially in a potentially life threatening situation, IMO it's always the right thing to do. I've enjoyed reading all your posts and learned a lot too. I had an experience with a horse "choking" and the vet did the hose down the nose thing and it worked! Saved his life!I'm sure when Don Kay sees you he will thank you for your help.;D

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:07 AM

we used to just pour mineral oil or even vegetable oil in a pinch down our horses throat and walk him...but i have heard of ranchers using some pretty knarly techniques to alleviate colic....any usefull info is appreciated.

It will be pretty hard for Mike to get proper food for DK in many places and he may just have to pack some more...more weight though.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:24 AM

Ken: I have apprecieated your posts as I have learned a lot and gives the daily reports a little more punch. Keep them coming, please.
We reserve the right to have a bid of fun, however.
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:52 AM
Mike's arrival in San Ignacio

Mike in front of mission IMG_1484.jpg - 48kB
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:55 AM
Unloading in the garden of Casa Leree with the help of the local boys.

Mike unloading.jpg - 43kB
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 09:59 AM
And heading out to the road again two days later.

Mike departure.jpg - 42kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 10:03 AM

Keep them coming Juanita... thanks!

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 11:25 AM

Somomule: you have been giving some excellent advise, thanks for that! Did'nt think I was going to post here again.... but...
We cannot find mixed grass hay here to save our life! Its ALL super rich alfalfa! Back at our Equestrian centre in Ontario we did our own hay and it was a wonderful mix of grasses! Has anyone here in Baja seen roughage cubes? We also fed our horses soaked beet pulp mixed with horse sweet feed but not sure if its available here either. Has Don Kay ever been wormed before period? We used ivermectin and also rotated wormers.
He sure looks pretty skinney, could Mike be convinced to give him a month or 2 off and then continue his trek? Be nice if a vet gave him a once over too!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

There you go.

You see ?

All he needs is a girlfriend.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:23 PM

astro...I believe Mike has some of those cubes you mentioned. I thought DK looked real good when he was here and looked noticeably thinner in San Ignacio which made me wonder about worms too...Mike asked me if burros got worms so maybe he wasnt wormed before.

Mike may consider resting a bit but he does have a budget issue which is pressing on him as he has to pay his rent in the states while travelling and this is a problem with him not generating any income to pay his bills. Too bad. Mike sure could use a publicist to somehow generate some income so he may continue on his mission without having to worry about money.

I can see him being able to recuperate lost income in the future by doing some speaking engagements, book sales or something like that...too bad a philanthropist (sp?) wouldnt kick in some funds or somone would invest in his adventure...a sponsor of sorts.

I believe in Mike...he is a very unique individual and has alot of style and flair and great ideas and imagination plus unbounding energy and a booming voice...all excellent tributes for a speaker....isnt there a fairy godmother out there who might wave a magic wand and make hisfinancial woes disappear?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
..........He sure looks pretty skinney, could Mike be convinced to give him a month or 2 off and then continue his trek? Be nice if a vet gave him a
once over too!

He could take a break and resume the journey at a later date like Graham did on one of his treks/books. Don-Kay may just be sending a signal he needs a break.

Ken
 Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.