BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: What do you drive to Baja?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 12:42 PM
An old ride to Baja....

In 1974, a Chevrolet El Camino .... for the Camino Real of Baja. We are parked main street in Sta Rosalia. Changed a bit since then.

David K...that hatted gentleman on the far right is Blackjack..(J.W. Black)... Earl S. Gardener's Baja expedition ramrod. That's Blackjack's red buggy...one of his designs, a Grasshopper..parked in front of my El Camino.

[Edited on 1-19-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 01:07 PM
Cool thread

I like this topic. :cool:

This is my old truck, a 2001 GMC Sonoma ZR2, took it to Baja 3x.

I upgraded to a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. I've taken it into Baja 2x now.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 05:33 PM

Awesome... Go go Toyota!

[Edited on 1-20-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 05:37 PM

Born to drive among boojums!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:20 PM
Here's a nice 'dream' machine...

...got to get my order in when I snag the big Calif Lotto tomorrow...:rolleyes:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/

[Edited on 1-20-2006 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:23 PM
and another shot

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:24 PM
cool beach shot....

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:27 PM
Here's the camp mode....

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:37 PM
another Baja ride...

Hey Mexray...In this 5th Wheel we are using 4 of those 6-volt deep cycle Powerstride batteries you turned us on to in San Diego. I bought 16 of them. Same as Trojan but a lot better price...Thanks again for the tip.

This rig makes for a nice camp spot boondocking anywhere in Baja. 32' Montana triple slide, sat tv, internet, a/c, genset, belts & whistles pulled by 2500Ram CumminsTurbo 4X4 with XMsat. Margaritas at 4pm... blended or on the rocks?

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 07:05 PM
Pompano...

...the new rig looks great, Roger. How was it driving that 'tractor/trailer' down Hwy 1? What kind of fuel usage do you get with that combination?

A couple of friends have similar rigs that visit over at Playa Naranjos - and I've looked em' over, nice 'rides'! Just back up to the ocean there on the beach and...enjoy! I like the rigs with the windows in the rear...better views outside when the wind kicks up! My friends use the 2000 Watt Honda inverter gen sets when they need to charge up their batteries - much quieter. I also bought one last year and used it down there - I could recharge my golf car batt's in a couple of hours (I have an 85 amp HD battery charger)!

I saw your post on RV.Net board, and read through the replies...several were very informative as to what to look out for, preferences, etc. How do you like the Montana, so far! Looks like you've got your 'open road' shoes ready to roll!

[Edited on 1-21-2006 by Mexray]

sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 05:12 PM

good ole f-150
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 03:44 AM
Yup..we like this for the Baja Road...and everywhere else.

Hola Ray, Si, Felipa and I like the Montana fifth wheel and the Dodge 2500 Cummins. Very relaxing and gives you so many choices...how can you go wrong? It's like having your cottage with you. I can't imagine a better way to enjoy a liesurely trip across the continent and down the Baja Road while transporting mucho supplies for our Conception home. By this time next year we will be up to speed on what makes a good Fiver for us.

The truck and rig weighed about 24,000 lbs total at a Flying J truck scale in Montana. (We pack a LOT of gear and supplies.) The Cummins has all the horsepower we need so far and pulling that load is a breeze as long as you realize your braking capabilities. The addition of an engine J-Brake or similiar system makes going down the mountain grades easy. (This was always a white-knuckle event at Diablo Canyon north of Sta. Rosalia, along with Beartooth Pass, Wolf Canyon, Suicide Hill, Desolation Pass, and a few others!)

Driving Baja is not so bad, but then I have become very familiar with all its tricks and dangers. The worst Baja dangers for us were potholes and those damn unmarked topes (speed bumps). The VERY worst for us is LA. Forget that hysterical ant colony..I won't even go close!

We lose a little mpg because of the 4X4 that is mandatory in our Up North neighborhood, but still the rig makes about 20 mpg solo and 12-14 mpg pulling the load. Sometimes we pull the boat behind the Fiver with no noticeable mpg change. This makes us almost 75ft long, which is the maximum limit you can double-tow in any province or state.

We use the super-quiet Honda EX5500 generator and it supplies more power than we need to run AC, microwave, hairdryer, toaster, lights, tv's, satellite internet, etc. That unit can also double as a backup genset for our Baja house. We added 2 100-watt solar panels to the roof, a 2500 watt inverter, and 4 of those Powerstride 6-volt batteries you recommended. This solar power alone generally gives us all the power we need for our style of boondock camping, so we are already thinking of using a smaller genset (Honda EU2000) because we really don't need the big one except for long hours of AC ..and we don't camp in that many really HOT places. With a sat tv and sat-internet dish we are in contact wherever we boondock.

Those 'mountain view' rear windows on our fifth wheel are indeed huge for an RV and offer unlimited vistas wherever you camp. Just point the rear end towards your best landscape, kick back in your recliner, and viola...you are snug and cozy. REALLY great for those windy, cold days..like now. The view windows, along with the cook-friendly U-shaped kitchen helped make up our minds on this model. It has triple slides ..living room, kitchen, and bedroom...which give you tons of room for two people and a basement storage area that surprised me. I look forward to using it for hunting this coming fall..carry all my gear below decks, including decoys, blind, etc. The unit is artic-insulated and good to camp in freezing temps in an elk camp or goose field.

[Edited on 1-22-2006 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 04:32 AM
More Baja ride stuff...

I had test driven all Big Three pickups.. Ford Powerstroke with their new Tow system ...and the newest GMC/Chev Duramax with that great Allison tranny. (All 3/4 and 1 tonners) This time Dodge got the nod, however, because I think the Cummins is bulletproof. I have a '99 Dodge Cummins with over 250,000 miles on it and it's still running strong. The only change I may go to next time might be a beefier TV with the Allison tranny...like this one.

Add a cow-catcher and we are all set for the Baja Road!

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 01:46 PM

Fun thread. My Baja ride is a Toyota Tacoma. Our longest trip was when my wife and I lived out of this rig for 4 months while exploring the entire peninsula. It has sleeping quarters in the back, long-range fuel, can get into remote places pretty well, and nowadays has a 12v/120v fridge, camera system, dual batteries, and lots of other toys. More details and trip reports are at http://www.bajataco.com

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
It has sleeping quarters in the back, long-range fuel, can get into remote places pretty well, and nowadays has a 12v/120v fridge, camera system, dual batteries, and lots of other toys.

I see you have the same tires as Baja Xplorer. Very nice rig indeed.:yes:

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 06:19 PM

Thanks so much Ken ;D Actually, BX has Toyo M/Ts on his Tacoma. I am using the (sort of) new Cooper Discoverer STT. I just put them on before the last Baja trip and have been very pleased. They still need a good flogging in the rocks before I can make a final evaluation though. It seems they are an excellent alternative to Goodyear MT/R's

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco

I also like the design of your winch bumper. It provides plenty of clearance and still has that desert styling so many of us on Baja Nomad love so much.

The problem I experienced with the Goodyear MT/R was that the tread chunked so much when I took the tire in the dirt and on the rocks. I am now running the BFG MT/KM and that tire is also beginning to chunk up. At any rate, you've got some killer lighting and coilovers which probably smooth that washboard considerably. Very cool!

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 07:40 PM

Thanks again Ken. The bumper has been a very interesting piece of the truck that has "morphed" or evolved over quite some time. It works really well, and I am very happy with it.

The Goodyear MT/Rs that I have used held up pretty well and worked super good on the trail. I did have some minor chunking, but nothing too terribly bad. The problem that I had with them is that they were out of round and would "hop" depending on rpm's. It was pretty annoying. These Coopers are nice and round. A good friend of mine is experiencing issues similar to yours with his current set of BFG M/T's. This is the first set that has given him this type of trouble and he has used them extensively over the years on many vehicles. :?:

The coilovers are made by Sway-A-Way and they are pretty sweet. 2.5" diameter shocks, 3" x 14"/625# coils. I also have some custom valved 2.5" Sway-A-Way reservoir shocks on the rear and they work VERY well. For a truck as heavy as mine, the regular 1.5" shocks just don't last long enough. I'm hard pressed just to get these 2.5's warm. :yes:

Thanks again, I really dig your Rubicon too. Those are amazing vehicles. A good friend of mine that I often do trips with has one, and every time I see him do the trails he can do in it :o and sleep inside of it at the end of the day, it makes me want one. Not to mention the topless fun-factor.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 09:22 PM

'06 will be the last year the retractable tops will be available on Jeeps. The '07 models will have 'panels' which will pop out that you must remove manually. I do love my Jeep. Having the top down in the Spring & Summer sure turns heads and its more fun to drive than the pickup I once drove.

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
'06 will be the last year the retractable tops will be available on Jeeps. The '07 models will have 'panels' which will pop out that you must remove manually. I do love my Jeep. Having the top down in the Spring & Summer sure turns heads and its more fun to drive than the pickup I once drove.

Yep, I have seen the '07. I like the look of it.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.