Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Border Wall...MURO DE VIRGUENZA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:35 AM

Point well taken, David.
You're right. It seems when arguements are from a faceless source, they can have a tendency to lose logic and common sense, probably from those who would raise their voice in conversation when trying to win a point.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:11 AM
Whine and Cheese

It seems to be a congenital trait of the Lefties that they whine and cry when their talking points are challenged with facts and logic. They seem to be easily bullied (as they describe it). Frankly, I can't see a single post in this particular thread that would even remotely approach Bullying. VGA bailed because it was getting too tough for him, but he came right back. If only these guys would keep their word and stay gone.

As far as Public Sector vs. Private Sector union membership, the Private Sector membership has been on a steady decline since the 1960s and now averages below ten percent of the total (non-agricultural) work force. Public Sector Union membership, however, has risen from insignificant in the 1950s to Thirty-Seven percent of the total Government work force with much higher numbers in State and Local work forces, especially those in the Teaching Field (80 percent), those in local law enforcement and Fire Protection. Public Sector union membership continues to rise while Private Sector declines.

As far as all of that being good news, it seems that I am in the majority rather than VGA and Packo. In a Zogby poll taken in April 2005, only 35 % of workers said they would vote to join a union if given the chance. 56 % said they would not vote to join. Additionally, 72 % said they were content with their jobs.

[Edited on 10-17-2006 by MrBillM]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:30 AM

"If only these guys would keep their word and stay gone."

Now wait just a minute MrBillM....How the hell do you expect us to have any FUN if they stay gone!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 04:09 PM

Hello All,
From an ex- illegal alien’s perspective.
First and for most, I love this country. No where in the World, with the exception of BOLA or Mulege or Loreto really the whole Baja Peninsula are you free to say and do and express what ever the heck you want, especially if you are a dual citizen. The fact is that we (the Nomads) go to Mexico for varied reason but one is (inexpensive everything). Exploitation? Chale (Nope)… Just convenience and justifiably so as we allow our country (USA) to continue to add stupid laws for political reasons that are the agenda of the upper class (government appointed politicians) so do we do away with our true freedom as they tax the heck out of the hard workers and reward the needy. Porque? For political gain, the conservatives are dishing out the truth and the facts, “let’s fix it” and the liberals are saying “let’s add another program” either way the politicians use these forums to gain a political position while in the meantime we (the workers) pay for it. Wefare or a border wall we (tax payers) will end up forking out the bread…
Is it not awesome how you can work your way into office by pointing fingers of blame on your opponents and lose that office the same way? The difference between Mexican and American government is organization. We (American) figured out a way to steal from the people by telling them it is their fault for what has happened and or by throwing the dog a bone. Those citizens who catch on to the political game and try to do something about it soon come to realize that we (Americans) are in an inevitable political downward spiral that somewhere down the line will crumble.
It is a shame that only when we are literally attacked that we (American) all come together for one cause. But then again that is what makes America great. It is like a family feud, you can fight your brothers and sister till they bleed but don’t let a stranger try to do the same because you got a war on your hands.
The Wall of Shame they say, what’s a shame is it has to come to this. Governments on both sides ought to be ashamed. People from both counties will never learn that they are victims of their own doing. Once we understand that, we will stop chasing our own tail. We argue about illegal aliens, gangs, violence, religion, and all sorts of volatile issues. Just what the politicians ordered a pop corn of issues and the more they pop the happier they are. Truly they are the instigators and we are the ???, well you fill in the blank there.
Like I mentioned earlier, my family brought me here for an opportunity for a better future. Thank God we found it and now I am a citizen just like millions of others all over the world. Since I am not an illegal anymore I have peace of mind and no one sees me as someone taking a job from another American. How ironic what a piece of paper does for the psyche.

Have a great day,
Alex L

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 05:57 PM

Thank you Alex... I appreciate your opinion here, very much amigo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:32 AM

" To the best of my knowledge, I have never expressed a desire here for the minimum wage to be abolished."

Maybe it was beercan who said that. It is hard to tell you guys apart sometimes.

I'm glad you didn't list Mexico as your model because it seems that is the way many of you guys seem to want to take us.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 09:34 AM
And in this Corner....................

Unbeaten, Unbowed, Unbloodied and Unashamedly Fighting for Traditional Conservative Values against a wave of Savage and Scurrilous attacks from Servile Minions on the Left, Here's Bill !

I'm a little uncertain regarding the point you want to make regarding Mexico. Are you: 1. Saying that MY group wishes to make the U.S. a model of Mexico, or 2. Make Mexico a model of the U.S. ? Given your previous postings regarding trade, unionism, etc., I'm assuming that you see some Dark Plotting on the part of Conservatives to destroy the Union system and bring the U.S. workers down to the economic level of Mexico.

Given the earlier polling which showed that:
"only 35 % of workers said they would vote to join a union if given the chance. 56 % said they would not vote to join. Additionally, 72 % said they were content with their jobs", and also, the stock market is at record highs with unemployment at near record lows, it would seem that the "Union Alarmist" view is very much in the minority. The Union system is simply suffering a Natural demise. R.I.P. My experiences (and others) with the Unions have been that they defend and promote Mediocre performance on the part of employees, resulting in inferior and/or over-priced products.

The only thing the U.S. Economy should fear is a Democrat Majority.

[Edited on 10-18-2006 by MrBillM]
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 02:03 PM

For any american that thinks that there should not be Mexicans in the US, I can not wait until they pay 41$ per pint of strawberrys.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 02:47 PM

" For any american that thinks that there should not be Mexicans in the US, I can not wait until they pay 41$ per pint of strawberrys."

I've heard and read many times that labor represents only about 10% of the average cost of produce. Strawberries at $2.99 per lb. would probably go up to around $3.99 if the picker's wages were quadrupled. "At a local QFC, Red Delicious apples go for about 99 cents a pound. Of that, only about 7 cents represents the cost of labor..." http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003265139_i...

If illegal labor disappeared, and if the workers were suddenly paid 400% of their current wages, the cost of fruits and vegetables would not go up that high, but I bet the producers would radically increase prices as a punitive measure.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 02:52 PM
$41 a pound?

Big deal! You forget, this is the richest country in the world! I made that much sleeping in today. Plus, strawberries are YUMMY and TOTALLY worth it!

Now, if kale were $41 a pound THAT would be a problem. You can't give that crap away!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 03:19 PM
Canards and Crops

Hearing the canard about Fruit and Vegetable costs spiraling out of reach IF we control the Illegal Immigration problem is getting a little tiresome, but I have confidence that the Lefties will continue to spout that and other disproven prattle as long as there's someone around dumb enough to believe it.

Packo is correct. The labor force we are discussing only accounts for Ten percent (or less) of the retail cost of the fruit or vegetable. A significant increase would not affect the store price to any significant degree.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 03:46 PM

MrBillM is on track, on topic and right on the money.:yes:bigzaggin. Were you making $41/hr. when you woke up?:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:19 PM

The minimum wage is low for a reason people!

It is an entry level wage that you are to advance upwards from!

If the minimum wage was all you were allowed to make, then there would be no incentive to IMPROVE YOURSELF. Why would you want to work for a MINIMUM wage???

I was 18 when I made a minimum wage (making pizzas) evenings... it was $2.05 an hour... 1976. Never again after that job did I make so little... Why is anyone happy with that? Minimum wages are not designed to live off of... They are for kids or young adults just getting started and they should be low enough that you get motivated to improve your situation!

I next did construction work on weekend for $5/ hr... then on a CalTrans project for $14/ hr., soon after. I took classes at my local jr. college to learn mechanics and business skills. I learned the most from reading books and using common sense. I worked for many places, but I am happiest when I am self employed using skills I have learned or been shown to provide a service people will pay for.

This is not a communist country (yet). Nobody is keeping anyone from doing better. Minimum wage is not something you should settle for... APPLY yourslves... God gave you EVERYTHING you need to gain the skills to have control over your life. Don't be a slave, don't settle, don't blame... DO IT!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:28 PM

David, what you say has merit. However, I don't think that much good could come out of abolishing the minimum wage or letting it lose to inflation to the point where anybody starves or lives out in the streets while working an honest day's work. You should be able to purchase a 6-pack of Budweiser and a pack of cigarette tobacco and papers for an hour of minimum wage. That's not exorbitant.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
David, what you say has merit. However, I don't think that much good could come out of abolishing the minimum wage or letting it lose to inflation to the point where anybody starves or lives out in the streets while working an honest day's work. You should be able to purchase a 6-pack of Budweiser and a pack of cigarette tobacco and papers for an hour of minimum wage. That's not exorbitant.

What can we do for you buddy. your in such misery. Did someone abuse you? You sure have a plugged up mind. Is that from never being right?? I suspect your a 70 style antiwar hippie that never got satisfaction, and still trying to prove your right.
Do not know why I am writing this, I know you can not be helped.
Thanks DK, My climb from min. wage is the same, but the numbers much lower. Your explanation and experience is very solid.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:57 PM

Al G, what you say has merit. This isn't the Off Topic section after all. Nobody abused me. I just got into the habit of arguing I guess. I'll knock it off.

This is what happens without a Baja break often enough.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 08:02 PM

Thank God amigo...I am sorry I came down hard.

Albert G

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 08:08 PM

Pako, it's been a year and 10 months almost since we laughed at Camp Gecko together!

How about joining us on Nov. 4th???;D:yes::yes::yes:

I still remember what Baja Angel said to you and Bedman, etc. about the smell of gasoline...:lol: We were just getting to know each other and that was her first Baja trip with me... She passed the 'test' with flying colors!

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 08:10 PM

I don't think what I said was enough. You sorta surprised me. People who can stop and look back and come to a different conclusion need more respect then I gave in m last post. I also will read differently now.

[Edited on 10-19-2006 by Al G]

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 08:16 PM

You talk about fumbling the ball:lol::lol::lol:
Like I said You surprised me.

Albert G

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.