BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Best rig for getting around off the pavement in Baja?
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpgYes on both that is Lukes bumper. Very well built.

Did you by chance have it installed by Luke at Cruise Moab last year?

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 10:03 AM

nope was at his shop last winter.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 10:09 AM
WHICH BFGOODRICH??

those of you with experience frequently suggest BFGOODRICH tires... specifically which one?? looking at COSTCO .com there are several and one is even over $300/tire....???
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 10:12 AM

Usually the most popular Baja tire is the All Terrain T/A KO model... Otherwise the Mud Terrain if you want an aggressive tread.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
those of you with experience frequently suggest BFGOODRICH tires... specifically which one?? looking at COSTCO .com there are several and one is even over $300/tire....???

What DK said. If you go with the Mud Terrain you want the MT/KM, not the super expensive MT/KX which is a competition tire. Otherwise the AT/KO will work just fine. The MT/KM is an aggressive tire and for most folks the AT/KO is a better choice.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 08:11 PM

Here is my favorite rig with remote canyon explorer

[Edited on 3-5-2007 by cpg]

bf.JPG - 44kB
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 07:08 AM

Nothing like running to Gonzaga in a Hummer H2
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 07:19 AM

cpg
damn...you're lucky to "tell the tale":o

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Ducks

Mood: Bipolar with a hint of ADD

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 09:47 AM

So toyota is the obvious overwhelming consensus. I hope to make the trip in my 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. But should parts availability be considered in what vehicle to choose? I guess if you never break down it's not a problem but.... there are no guaranties.

[Edited on 3-6-2007 by Ducks]
Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 11:03 AM

FJ60's are not common down there. I do see a few, but not as many as I do older mini-trucks which are common as ants. Your truck is bomb proof. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks
So toyota is the obvious overwhelming consensus. I hope to make the trip in my 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. But should parts availability be considered in what vehicle to choose? I guess if you never break down it's not a problem but.... there are no guaranties.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 08:25 PM
here is mine

rear shot:lol::lol:

Rear 938G.JPG - 49kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 08:26 PM
side shot

Side938G.JPG - 49kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 09:17 PM

Cat, we need you to make the connection between Arroyo Canelo and the mine so we can drive from Puertecitos to El Rosario, directly!

[Edited on 3-7-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks

Just make sure your maintenance is done.
Hose and belts in good shape.
All bolts tight for sure the drive shaft and knuckle bolts on your rig.
If you get way out there (and you can in baja) it can be a very very long hall to parts or even a radiator hose. Do your wrenching before you cross the border.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 11:36 PM
Just ran across this...

...for all you 'Toy' fans out there...The Ford answer guy doesn't think much about the new Tundra...but it's fun to watch anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv4kGXwe4mE

You bet - I'm a Ford kinda guy, and there's sure enough 'brands' out there for us all to have as our favorites...but it's difficult for me to get past that old ad tag line...'Built Ford Tough!'

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 12:00 AM

Gee Ray, for Ford to do that kind of nit picking commercial they must be worried about something?

I do see a lot of Titans on the road... Did Ford do a commercial like that agains Nissan?

I have really no opinion about the larger Tundra, because I don't drive one... I drive the larger Tacoma and you know how pleased I am with it! Built BAJA Tough! (to steal a slogan).

Thanks for the link!

Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpg
If you get way out there (and you can in baja) it can be a very very long hall to parts or even a radiator hose. Do your wrenching before you cross the border.

There is an old saying that the last thing fixed will be the next to break. Been there when a bolt was not tightened up completely, and of course it came off on Mex 1. IF you work on your truck before you leave triple check your work. If somebody else helped, really check, even if they are a Toyota Master Mechanic. No kidding.

pulleyfix_sm.jpg - 38kB

FJ40Mark

Mood: Walkabout

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:
Originally posted by cpg

There is an old saying that the last thing fixed will be the next to break. Been there when a bolt was not tightened up completely, and of course it came off on Mex 1. IF you work on your truck before you leave triple check your work. If somebody else helped, really check, even if they are a Toyota Master Mechanic. No kidding.

What's up Pappy? Jutty from MUD.

Good advice on the double checkin' work..heard an old saying when packing for an off-road trip.

Take every wrench that's touched your truck in the last 2 weeks.

and TOYOTA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said..:cool:
Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 08:58 AM

Dang, that's three of us crossin' over from MUD.

Quote:
Originally posted by FJ40Mark

What's up Pappy? Jutty from MUD ...
and TOYOTA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said..:cool:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 05:31 PM

The guy bad mouthing Toyota sounds more like sour grapes, a paid hatchet man. I would agree about the cross members being welded as opposed to bolted. I had a loose bolt on a cross member on my 91 chevy that drove me nuts for almost a year before I found it. But I think Ford may be running scared. They lost something like 12 Billion $ last year and their best selling F150 sales are down this year. Still the #1 selling vehicle, but as a company they got real problems that may take years to solve. I personally think Ford and Toyota build good trucks as many others do too. Toyota has the year after year after year record of having many less problems than everyone else. Their reputation is number 1. This Tundra is new and will take a couple of years before it has a track record. One thing for sure Toyota has their act together and very well could become the #1 auto maker in the world in the next year or two or three. The other three all have lots of problems.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.