Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Hijacking
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 03:36 PM

The Pilot made a very bad Mistake taxing to the South end for a North Take-Off. There is a Large sign indicating that all aircraft are to take off to the South.

no...and thx Vince for correcting my ol' buddy Skeeter.
the thing is that sign is well intended but the english on it is lacking. it reads "take off to south" what it means is take off from south. all 1st timers ask about it cause the prevailing winds 99% of the time say use RW 32 never 14.

using 14 to depart causes a huge blast of dirt and sand to blanket all the parked planes and the hotel's courtyard - very bad form chaps, what?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 08:03 AM

Mike: I have been into that Strip many times, I have never taken off to the North!

Why: During my many years investigating Aircraft Accidents I investigated several Bad ones caused by just such a Take Off:

If that Engine misses one good Beat you are into the Hill across the The River.

When I fly an Airplane I do not make my Takeoff based on whether or not someone is going to get a little Dust in their Eyes.

Side note: The Hijacked 206 was over Gross when it took off and made a very Low and slow turn to the West_he would have been very luckey to miss the Hill going Straight.

He knew how to Fly and Airplane, that is for Sure!

I am going back in October and get with Alex for some Big Dorado. Loreto is a Mess!

Skeet/Loreto
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 08:21 AM

Well Skeet you are the only one doing that. EVERYBODY that knows, 99% uses 32 and that's where the wind comes from, the north on the ground.

i'd rather have to deal with a little hill than takeoff downwind with a tail instead of a head!!!
if you were there frequently in and out and constantly used 14 for takeoffs the hotel and residents, along with a bunch of owners of parked planes would be out there in force with the pitch forks looking for sangre amigo!:lol::lol::lol::saint:

glad you had good fishing with alex. he's got a very expensive Penn 600 i loaned him, i need it back, it is not mine!!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 08:57 AM

Mike is right! No one uses 14 for takeoff at Serenidad. Once about 25 years ago I saw a DC3 use 14 and everyone there would have tarred and feathered him if he had returned. There is no valid reason to use 14.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 09:00 AM

To the best of my recollection, all of my 30+ takeoffs and landings at Serenidad were to the north (32). Skeet I don't understand your statement "If that Engine misses one good Beat you are into the Hill across the The River". Why couldn't you just turn? That little hill is not exactly like flying into a box canyon.
++Ken++
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 09:05 AM

Last time I flew into and out of Serenidad, Mulege... it was to the north (runway 32)... However, I was in Capt. Mike's 'Screaming Airlines' plane!:rolleyes::P:spingrin:;D

[Edited on 4-20-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 02:25 PM

aha!! that fat guy in the white shirt with the red cup sitting on the wingwalk is NOT Mike G, aka capt. mike here.
it is nobody of relevance and should be ignored!!!

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 05:11 PM
Skeeters

I'm assuming that Skeetster never flew in or out of Flabob airport in Riverside, although many thousands (including myself on numerous occasions) have without incident.

OR

Agua Caliente in San Diego County which also has a hill at the end of 29. Taking off on 29, you just jog to the right and go up the valley. Landing on 11, you come in from the Valley. No problem.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2008 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

OR

Agua Caliente in San Diego County which also has a hill at the end of 29. Taking off on 29, you just jog to the right and go up the valley. Landing on 11, you come in from the Valley. No problem.
How long were you in the business? If you know what I mean.:cool:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 07:20 AM

O. K. I get the Drift, However after about 2,000 Hours in Baja Alone, landing in all the small strips I could find in Baja Sur, Investigating 100's of Accidents, I would still take off to the South.
If you have an engine failure at the right time and make an attempt to turn you are asking for a Stall and think about all the People in your Path.

By the way, How many times have some of you been into the Strip up by the Old Hotel Mulege??

There are many Old Pilots and a fewer "Bold" Pilots.

Have a Good Day and keep Flying.

Skeet/Loret
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
By the way, How many times have some of you been into the Strip up by the Old Hotel Mulege??

Just once for me. It was in 1974 and it was my first dirt-strip landing. I was in a Cardinal (C177RG) and unfamiliar with Mulege (or anything else in Baja). Landed up there on top of the hill, needed gas, nobody around. We hung around for a while, then took off and landed at Serenidad and the rest is history.
++Ken++
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 12:50 PM

Ken: Was just attempting to make sure that you don't have a misfire as you head for the Hill and try a Turn.

Over the years there have been way too many Takeoff Accidents when things get out of Hand.

Anyway you go, the Pilot has that decesion just like the Japan Airlines Dc8 that went in the Bay of San Francisco. The pilot made a 1,000 Ft. error in the Knob of his Altimeter.

Skeet/Loreto
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 02:04 PM

ouch:wow:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 05:08 PM
Excrement Occurs

But because people do stupid things is no reason to paint with a broad brush.

In days past, I used to enjoy reading those stupid antics in Flying Magazine ("Pilot Error") and, I believe, Plane and Pilot ("I learned about Flying from that"), but I never had occasion or reason to contribute.

The "I Learned" was more enjoyable since the pilot survived. The "Pilot Error" was usually an after-event synopsis of a FATAL error.

Make mistakes. Bad things can happen.
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 09:10 PM

Does anyone have a description of the plane? I was heading north around the El Marmol turnoff (south of El Rosario)... there was a Cessna flying low and erratically. This was in the late afternoon of April 18th.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 02:00 PM

Mike, have you or anyone heard whether or not the plane found in Sinaloa was in fact Pat's plane?
msrla
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Hook,
Last night we had the little ones watching TV so we could visit with Marek and Lynn.. They explained everything that had happened. Having someone tell you "YOU WANT TO DIE TODAY" over and over again is a night mare. From what they said they only saw one gun, (one is enough for me). There could have been more, they didn't seen any other. The gun man never said one word to any one. Just aimed the gun at the pilot which is Marek's brother in law. Just one guy did the talking. She said two were in the car that blocked the plane the other 4 jumped over the fence. No one had masks one just hooded sweat shirts
They called our American Consulate in Cabo on Thursday.
They were told to come in any time from 9-2 it wont be a problem. The Consualte asked if they were the ones involved in the plane being stolen in Mulege Marek said yes.
That is all that from our American Consulate. No one has talked to them about anything. It's still ify about leaving with no documents to say who they are... we will see.
We are waiting for the North winds to stop blowing then were taking them all out fishing. The little girls told me this morning that they slept so good and felt safe here. That put a smile on my face. This is such a nice family we hadn't meet them before they arrived on Wednesday for their final stay in Baja..We gave them some fresh dorado for dinner last night.
They might stay with us a few extra days to sort things out we aren't sure yet it's fine with us...We are planning a FULL MOON party Sunday for them...
I told them last night that some of the nomads were saying a little pray for them and the girls. They were very interested in the Nomads site. I had lent them a lap top computer so they can reach all family and friends. They told me when they left our house last night they sat up reading all that was on Nomads.
They seem to be special people we are glad that we can help, that is what it's all about.
I copied this from the other post I had put it on..
Barb
* sorry this was so long. they have a very interesting story to tell some day..They still like BAJA and will be back at least they will be here in the Buena Vista area of Baja Sur.

Barb,

Dave and I read about this and were horrified, but I take comfort in knowing that this family is staying with you and Rod and you guys are looking out for them.... my heart goes out to all of them...

Mimi

(Mimi, Dave & Hanna)
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 12:18 PM

HI Mimi
Thanks, they were back home in their own beds last night.
Heard from them today they are just trying to get things taken care of.
Tell Dave and Hanna HI from us
Barb
msrla
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
HI Mimi
Thanks, they were back home in their own beds last night.
Heard from them today they are just trying to get things taken care of.
Tell Dave and Hanna HI from us
Barb

Glad to hear they made it home safely, Barb, and tell Rod, DC & Paula hi from all of us, we hope to get up your way sometime beginning of July, hope to see you all, Hanna would love to hook up with the kids again if they are going to be there!

MR
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-23-2008 at 01:11 PM

I'm taking a printout of this thread and the Consulate thread (carefully edited, of course) to my US Congressman on Saturday. Even though he is from Nevada, I will ask him to look into the actions/non-actions of the Consulate in Cabo.

[Edited on 4-23-2008 by bajaguy]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.