Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Joys and Sorrows of The Baja Road
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-15-2009 at 07:32 AM

Ey DanO...
I hope the trucker's story wasn't a translation from Spanish. Sounds like it was written by a NorteAmericano.
Cood credos to live and drive by!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-15-2009 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I had a water pump replaced by the Loreto mechanic whose shop is next to the water tower. His shop wasn't as messy as the one in San Quintin but I really enjoyed the experience with him.
He was a bit of a foul mouthed individual, which I really enjoyed. He kept referring to my truck as a P-nche caro .

He just smiled at me waving me off and said with a twinkle:

"Small kids - small problems"
"Big kids - problemas mas grandes"

Joe.. You are talking about Ruben, who used own that shop and could fix just about anything on four wheels in those days.. Not the cheapest mechanic on Loreto, but one of the cleanest..
He sold that property, and relocated out on the hwy, just south of town on the rightside.

I can second..or third..the recommendation on Ruben's work. Especially on my Cummins diesel. Gracias, Ruben.

Qualified diesel mechanics near our area of The Baja Road are a rare breed.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 09:20 AM
Some places of interest along the Baja Road...El Rosario to Catavina.

EL ROSARIO...at the bottom of that steep grade...and where the space aliens block out satellite radios. :rolleyes:

Fellow nomad BajaCactus has a nice modern Pemex station in El Rosario. Have always found this to be a pleasant and clean place to top off.

Next door to the BajaCactus motel.

And just down the lane a piece...Historic Mama Espinoza's. I always stop there, too. And yes, I eat there, too! Sheesh, I think the food is great and just had a delicious dinner. A truly great piece of Baja Road lore. I like this old photo best...has that 'flavor'.

Here's my newest one to compare.

El Rosario's sad and painful memory.

A familar landmark for Baja Road drivers...the puente just south of El Rosario. We once waited a week here for the floodwaters to go down.

How many of you remember what stood on this spot just north of Catavina, near the vado that always has some water?

A nice place to explore..and take a dip if there has been recent rains.

Here's that vado just north of Catavina that always used to have some running water..now 'improved' and not much fun anymore.

I was not out of gas, but needed just a little more 'for insurance' and so I got to try out the gas barrel sales across from Catavina's Desert Inn. Forget the price, it's a handy service if needed.

..and that's all he wrote for now...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.