Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  12
Author: Subject: Road Block Bandits
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:11 AM

Am I the only one who skips over DK's responses? They are tiring.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
I have also seen and been chased by banditos just south of Catavina back in 1991. My quick thinking husband went off the road and put the petal to the metal and got us out of there. They chased us, but our Chevy 454 saved our bacon that night. It was 2 am and they had the road blocked by a truck and a car, and were definately bad guys.

Reminds me of the fairly recent loss of Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ?
Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos.
She was killed.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

Try it next time you are there and let us know what happens.

YES

Pls post the result. If you are able.

"Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?"

I said YES

Result of a belief? I believe what I was told by another Nomad/ Amigo de Baja...

Ask your neighbor Fishin' Rich... He told me the story after we drove through the Tecate border without stopping when the red light came on... I was his passenger when we took a day trip to Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada back in 2001.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pls post the result. If you are able.":

Myself, coming north from Loreto last summer we were pointed over to the field for 'special search' at the military checkpoint (there were others in front)... After I drove off behind the rest bench and didn't see any one waiting to search me I drove on and back on the highway... Baja Angel wanted to see the 'Wall of Shame' there that Phil C had told us about and was surprised that I didn't wait and risked leaving... I wanted to get back to Concepcion Bay!

Nobody shot at us or chased us. :lol:

DK: your desription is not "running" a military checkpoint. If you enter one and attempt to pass w/o stopping they will use the big spike chains on your tires, and if that doesn't work will fill you full of hot lead. I would like you to try the evasion of a checkpoint and report back here, or perhaps someone can post the news article about your experience.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

It's catching !!! :biggrin:

I have tried my best to "skip over" his posts with only occassional success.
I have tried aromatherapy, hypnosis (kinda) and full body massage but nothing works so far.
How do you do it ????????????.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 12:03 PM

It must have been the tourism board that shot at my buddy and his family just north of La Mision.
That round that went through his upper thigh after passing through his door was just a welcome wagon gift.
And yes, he is a real friend, not some imaginary friend of a friend of a friend.....

durangotang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 01:15 PM

Well I'll just add my interpretation of things and let this topic run its course...

I never really felt like I was in any immediate danger with the whole thing. Economic times are hard down there and I have no doubt that petty theft is on the rise. I probably came across people looking for a target of opportunity. If someone were to stop, they would probably get some easy money out of them...

Had the vehicles pursued me, or even if people had gotten out of the trucks... I would be telling a different story with a much different tone.

This is par for the course IMHO when traveling in the rural backroads of a third world country. I've run into the same thing traveling in eastern Europe, Russia, and Turkey. It's just all about your personal preferences on the balance between adventure and safety.

Will this experience even cause me to hesitate coming back? Absolutely not... I will be back after a tour of Labrador in 2011

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durangotang

Economic times are hard down there and I have no doubt that petty theft is on the rise.

Appreciate your take on this although economic times have always been hard down here. It's the decline of morals which cause the petty theft rate to rise.
It ain't what it used to be. Dope growers have taken over many isolated places and that's an activity which employs scum. Years back, scum had no attraction to the back country. Today they control it and it's foolish to ignore their presence and danger.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 01:37 PM

You sound like the Baja type Durangotang! If you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, it ain't no thang!!! Thanks for sharing your trip report and photos with all of us. Your feedback on this side thread is exactly what I thought your response would be. This is a great site, with a lot of great people!! Just ignore the negative Nellies as much as possible, and please share any future expiditions with us!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 02:17 PM

Quote:

Like, without them, this would be a single page thread??:lol:
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 02:38 PM

:P toldja
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:

What Mr Baja tiring? Surely you jest, and don't dare drive anything but a Toyota. Maybe he needs another hobbie.

[Edited on 3-11-2010 by 805gregg]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:08 PM

Release the HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:22 PM

.........and the sharks!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:40 PM

Neighbors of mine below San Felipe were traveling late one night heading south and were pulled over by a vehicle with a red flashing light on the dash. Quickly they realized they weren't cops and before they knew it they were face down on the highway with guns pointed at them halfway between Mexicali and San Felipe on that straight strech north of the dunes.

They were robbed of wallet, purse, luggage, food, and anything loose in the vehicle but were let go with their vehicle.

This was about 10 years ago and there was word many other people had been robbed by these Banditos. They were eventually caught and it was found out they were police from the Mainland of Mexico...

It happens...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Sur2baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 11:06 PM

Has anyone heard of the murders that occurred at the airport turnoff (KM 5)?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:36 AM

"Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ? Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos"
Raquel was killed by a former employee - not random highway banditos.

And a comment, kinda related. At one of the checkpoints, I was asked to get out of the car so they could check contents of the car, and one guy stands on the passenger side a little to the rear of the car with a clipboard and asks me to sign my name. I'm trying to keep an eye on the guy going through my stuff and it seems like the other guy intentionally tries to distract you. This signing on the clipboard is a new one - what wold they possibly do with a list of names (only - no auto info - and I could have signed anything - Daffy Duck - no checking documents).
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:52 AM

I have seen them take names and license plate numbers for a long time at some of the check points.

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ? Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos"
Raquel was killed by a former employee - not random highway banditos.

And a comment, kinda related. At one of the checkpoints, I was asked to get out of the car so they could check contents of the car, and one guy stands on the passenger side a little to the rear of the car with a clipboard and asks me to sign my name. I'm trying to keep an eye on the guy going through my stuff and it seems like the other guy intentionally tries to distract you. This signing on the clipboard is a new one - what wold they possibly do with a list of names (only - no auto info - and I could have signed anything - Daffy Duck - no checking documents).
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
It must have been the tourism board that shot at my buddy and his family just north of La Mision.
That round that went through his upper thigh after passing through his door was just a welcome wagon gift.
And yes, he is a real friend, not some imaginary friend of a friend of a friend.....

I don't know who else saw this on Mexican TV last night...

A Mexican lady in her car was sitting behind a truck at a stoplight near Juarez. It went through two green cycles with her waiting patiently behind it. A man finaly got out of the truck and came back to her car. He gave her 5000 pesos. He told her he and the other man in the truck had a bet- if she tooted her horn, he would come back and shoot her. If she did not honk, the other guy would have to give her 5000 pesos. She took the money and left- nearly had a heart attack though.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch

I don't know who else saw this on Mexican TV last night...

A Mexican lady in her car was sitting behind a truck at a stoplight near Juarez. It went through two green cycles with her waiting patiently behind it. A man finaly got out of the truck and came back to her car. He gave her 5000 pesos. He told her he and the other man in the truck had a bet- if she tooted her horn, he would come back and shoot her. If she did not honk, the other guy would have to give her 5000 pesos. She took the money and left- nearly had a heart attack though.

YIKES---I wonder how many people would NOT honk, at least a little toot.

Off to disable horn in truck. :biggrin:

smlslikfish
Junior Nomad

Mood: La Costilla Bound

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 01:06 PM

This happened to me last year near our home in La Costilla,
2 car loads of men with a flashing red light tried to stop my wife and I late at night. I swiftly maneuvered around them and continued right up to the edge of a small CLIFF at the site of a new bridge. They were only trying to warn me. DOH!!!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.