Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: ::Shell Island (Laguna Percebu) logistics thread::
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 06:35 AM

"Typically, the coarse sand/ crushed sea shell beach will swallow any vehicle (4WD or 2WD) that doesn't deflate their tires to 10-20 psi."

Yup, it swallowed my monster truck. David K has pics. I wanted to see the capability of locked 6 wheels without airing down and you know what happened.

I just got back from Shell Island last night. David/Elizabeth and Ken/Leidys are still there for another day.

Nontheless, that place is beautiful and peaceful 24x7.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 08:35 AM

Beware of the heat, Ken.

We just drove through there a couple of days ago and the temps were over 100. Just walking from the car to the water's edge was an overwhelming experience. No breeze to speak of except for hot gusts now and then. I just can't see camping in those conditions - even if you spend most of your time in the water. It's so hot you don't want to move until after 7PM.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:10 PM

Joe,

"the temps were over 100"

Sorry to contradict, but where we camped it was well below the 86-deg forecast. It was cooler than I liked it to be. In fact, I had to take a full 3 mile walk around 11am along the shore 'cause I wanted to start a good sweat. I wanted to walk further but David K came to taxi me out in his Tacoma for a tour of the "island". It was a cool 4th of July. There was no water in the lagoon when we arrived but had a little the next day.

3 years ago when I was there on the 2nd week of July, I think it was over the 90s.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Beware of the heat, Ken.

We just drove through there a couple of days ago and the temps were over 100. Just walking from the car to the water's edge was an overwhelming experience. No breeze to speak of except for hot gusts now and then. I just can't see camping in those conditions - even if you spend most of your time in the water. It's so hot you don't want to move until after 7PM.

Upper 80s were a breeze for us. Leidys felt comfortable since Barranquilla is normally in the 90s plus humidity. She felt right at home in Mexicali the evening we crossed into Mexico..Is that possible? :o

I'm not going to argue about the heat, just disagree. It was about 10 degrees cooler than you reported, Joe.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:31 PM

basically they lucked out with the cool down that hit the SW. we dropped from 114 to 104 and lower humidity from sat on.
that would have made beach camping some what tolerable for some i guess.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 10:08 PM

Hi Gang... We got home about 9pm... FANTASTIC TRIP * FANTASTIC WEATHER * FANTASTIC AMIGOS...

Trip Report... Photos... More coming tomorrow or soon! We came home via Ensenada and had dinner at the Half Way House... Blvd. 2000 to Tecate, 15 min. border line at 7:35 pm.

Art's van was awesome in the sand!:cool:

My trip report strats HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46599
Many photos!

[Edited on 7-7-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:55 PM

Wow... great old thread here.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
"Typically, the coarse sand/ crushed sea shell beach will swallow any vehicle (4WD or 2WD) that doesn't deflate their tires to 10-20 psi."

Yup, it swallowed my monster truck. David K has pics. I wanted to see the capability of locked 6 wheels without airing down and you know what happened.

I just got back from Shell Island last night. David/Elizabeth and Ken/Leidys are still there for another day.

Nontheless, that place is beautiful and peaceful 24x7.

Photos of Art's monster van/ motorhome on Shell Island...

Horsepower (454 V-8) and traction assistance (4WD with front and rear ARB lockers) are of little aid in this kind of sand!

Once we got Art's tire pressure lowered, and he pointed the van downhill (towards the water)... He motored easily the two miles to our camp...

Art was so happy... "I got floatation" he said with a glee!

It is all about air pressure in the sand... 2WD or 4WD, you must deflate the tires and you can drive out of a stuck.

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 09:07 AM
Waiting for Art...

Arguing about tire pressure and if Art would arrive on foot like he did when he had 2 wheel drive...

Which base camp would Art want to sleep at with his truck parked someplace near Hwy 5?
David K's?

Ken Cooke's?

After picking up sea shells, we took a break and watched for Art...
Leidys during her shift...

Elizabeth watching during her shift...

Finally, I spotted Art driving up the beach in what appeared to be a Semi driving on the beach and suddenly parking...??

David K's Triple AAA Towing to the rescue! :lol::lol::yes:

Success!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 10:05 AM

Cool shots Ken... I hadn't seen those before... thanks!

I sure love four wheeling in Baja!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 02:59 PM

so DK what my PSI should be for this weekend ride in SI.
I was thinking 20 PSI

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I was thinking 20 PSI

I run a mild-Mud-Terrain tire w/2 ply sidewalls - Class C. 10 p.s.i. worked very well for me. 15 p.s.i. was too high for good flotation on my Rubicon.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I was thinking 20 PSI

15 psi will work... 10 psi if you bog down... 20 psi is a place to start if you don't want to refill as much.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.