Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
--------and that statement by the BajaKid just might be another nail in the coffin of the Baja 1000.

Good Grief!!!!

Barry

Only if it were true Barry...

Like other enviro wacko statements, this one has little to no truth to it...... As said above, they all have GPS trackers and get fined or disqualified for leaving the course... Also, there is no speed in cross country travel because of large rocks, plants, arroyos... They all stay on the marked roads. When a racer did shortcut, it was a route he had previously found and did not cut down trees or bulldoze a road... The last one I recall hapenning was when Robby Gordon short-cutted into Matomi Canyon from Valle Chico and it created a huge uproar from fellow racers...

Now, how about when Green Peace slammed their ship 'Rainbow Warrior' into a fragile corral reef in French Polynesia? Should they stop their activities?

Nature is a lot tougher than the enviros want to give her credit for... The desert is a very tough place and compared to flash floods and earthquakes, off road racing is harmless.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:53 AM

I think Bajakids point of pre-runners taking short cuts is valid. What is the ratio of pre-runners to racers? Also during the race, fans and racer's buddy's take shortcuts all day. Especially when the 1000 is looped.

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:59 AM

Pre-runners are racers checking the course before the race... Others out there are just folks having fun like us in Baja... doing what ever they do and spending money in Mexico... There are roads all over Baja... going cross country is not only counter-productive to getting someplace, it is usually impossible for the reasons I already gave.

Now, you can go ahead and use the theory that if you say a lie enough times it becomes the truth... but, don't you really want to be accurate. Do off road racing fans try and take away your activity in Baja?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian L
I think Bajakids point of pre-runners taking short cuts is valid. What is the ratio of pre-runners to racers? Also during the race, fans and racer's buddy's take shortcuts all day. Especially when the 1000 is looped.

What do you mean by a shortcut? I pre-run many sections of the Baja race courses and I follow the race on race day chasing for a bike racer and if you are implying they (anyone) are cutting across virgin land give me an example so I have a better picture of what you mean. The only thing I can think of at the moment is when the owner openned up his property near KM 33 off hwy 3 for people to park and pit or watch the race and he charged $5 per vehicle. Another area where I've seen vehicles go short distances over virgin land is at the Borrego pit area near KM 177 off hwy 3 and they usually do so to get to a pit or leave from a pit to the road coming in, we're talking yards here not miles. I will say that because of the many races run thru Borrego I don't know if one could really call it virgin around the pit areas.

As DK said no one here condones just taking out cross country. before the tracking devices several bikers and some car/truck racers did find cheat spots along the course, I know of a few. These were mostly the top racers trying to get a edge to win. Some are very well known names. But I also believe the majority of racers were racing for sport and fun and not interested in cheating and followed the ribbons and arrows and stayed within 50 feet of the center line of the course as were and are the rules for off road racing.

Now with the trackers they can not cheat and get away with it and there have been a remarkable closeness in the results. Yes the top factory bike teams (usually Honda) still win. And no it's not a conspiracy between Honda and SCORE it's call preperation and having the top racers. No body, not even KTM or the Kawasaki team a year or so ago can match what Honda does to get ready for these races. The time spent pre-running and preparing the bikes for all the different riders.

The trophy Trucks are such an even match in handling and power and with so many really good drivers it's a toss up who will win. It's not always the fastest but usually the one with the least down time and fewest problems such as flats etc. Same for class one.
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 12:12 PM

Because I'm not the type of individual to laugh at other's vehicles, nor do I put others down for the type of vehicle they choose to drive.
quote from Ken Cook

The husband drove a gutless 2wd Toyota p/u, and the wife drove a Volvo wagon.
quote from Ken Cook

Ken If you drive like you talk i bet you back up alot.

When a racer did shortcut, it was a route he had previously found
quote from David k

David k that is called pre-running and yeah they have IRC devices now and only for the last few years. the book Ken cook was quoting was written in 92' When racers would make or find there own routs from check point to Check point not always staying on the roads. Ive seen it with my own eyes.
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 12:25 PM

As DK said no one here condones just taking out cross country. before the tracking devices several bikers and some car/truck racers did find cheat spots along the course, I know of a few. These were mostly the top racers trying to get a edge to win. Some are very well known names. But I also believe the majority of racers were racing for sport and fun and not interested in cheating and followed the ribbons and arrows and stayed within 50 feet of the center line of the course as were and are the rules for off road racing.
quote from TW

TW has it always been in the SCORE rule book to drive within 50 feet of the center line of course?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 12:32 PM

Probably one of the most famous shortcuts and seen by millions in the movies shot from a helicopter was in the 2003 Baja 1000 race when Johnny Campbell cut to the beach section trying to catch the Honda B team and race leader Andy Grider. He did it twice but didn't catch Andy. Honda when prerunning will find a section like that and will usually go to SCORE to clear it as OK since it is over 50 feet from the center line. Johnny did catch a lot of heat over it when the movie came out as many thought he was cheating and I think SCORE did two for what many thought was just overlooked it giving Honda a pass. The problem with something like that is that not everybody knows if it is OK, now I've been told that SCORE did mentioned it at the rider/drivers meeting. I really don't know as I was not at the meeting.

Sorry the movie is "Dust to Glory" by Bruce Brown's son.

[Edited on 2-15-2011 by TW]
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 12:52 PM

One movie one shortcut , and his name was Dana Brown
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 01:24 PM

Kid do you race or did you race? Or do you chase, pit or spectate? Or do you not have anything to do with Baja racing?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

lol.gif posted on 2-15-2011 at 01:27 PM
what does the car say about the man?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I already knew that when they asked how I felt "Politically" about the 'Baja 1000', that they had been reading literature by the Sierra Club or Wilderness Coalition, etc. The husband drove a gutless 2wd Toyota p/u, and the wife drove a Volvo wagon.

ken,
are you 15 years old? you will make a big mistake in life if you judge people by the cars they drive. some people have misplaced priorities and are obsessed with their cars and other peoples cars. some people don't give a rats *ss what they drive, as long as they got a radio and AC!

i prefer comfort, reliability and safety - your jeep has none of those :lol::lol: i suspect at 60 mph you can't even hear the radio

:lol::!:
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Kid do you race or did you race? Or do you chase, pit or spectate? Or do you not have anything to do with Baja racing?

TW I wish i could afford to race. I have chased/pitted and have been to many Baja and Socal race events.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I already knew that when they asked how I felt "Politically" about the 'Baja 1000', that they had been reading literature by the Sierra Club or Wilderness Coalition, etc. The husband drove a gutless 2wd Toyota p/u, and the wife drove a Volvo wagon.

ken,
are you 15 years old? you will make a big mistake in life if you judge people by the cars they drive. some people have misplaced priorities and are obsessed with their cars and other peoples cars. some people don't give a rats *ss what they drive, as long as they got a radio and AC!

i prefer comfort, reliability and safety - your jeep has none of those :lol::lol: i suspect at 60 mph you can't even hear the radio

Goat what do you drive?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:04 PM
Hey, Goat - That hurts! A Lot!

Quote:
Quote:

ken,

I thought we were friends...:(

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:

ken,

Goat what do you drive?

toyota 4runner and a couple other japanese cars

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ken,

I thought we were friends...:(

still are. you just need to thicken your skin.

never attack a liberal in a volvo. i happen to like the stereotype of liberals driving volvos :lol: i have owned a few in my day.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2011 at 11:27 PM
Where's that "Baja Love"??

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
Ken If you drive like you talk i bet you back up alot.

When a racer did shortcut, it was a route he had previously found
quote from David k

Hey, kid. Lay off. Thank you...

Goodnight. :saint:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Goat what do you drive?

toyota 4runner

Is it a 4x4? You and DK should be best of friends sharing a Toyota moment.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Goat what do you drive?

toyota 4runner

Is it a 4x4? You and DK should be best of friends sharing a Toyota moment.

TiddlyWinks:
it's just a car, not a phallus :lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 05:47 PM
Toyota vs. Jeep

When I drove the 2WD Toyota pickup, the vehicle had very little torque, power, and I was very low to the ground - like an econo passenger car. People looked at me like, "Look what the trash brought in" - like the type of vehicle you drive when you are trying to get back on your feet.

The Rubicon has seat-of-your pants torque, but not a crazy top-end which is okay with me. It isn't the quietest vehicle - it is very loud, actually. But, when you are cruising with the top off, or open, it is a total blast. It feels like I'm 15 yrs old when I drive it which makes the occasional commute lots of fun.

I know people love Toyota trucks in this forum, and I respect their choices. I prefer a vehicle to be more capable on the 4WD trail, and less car-like, so I opted for the Jeep Rubicon. The drivetrain components are more practical for my needs - Dana 44s, Air Locked Differentials, Straight axle suspension, etc. If I needed a vehicle with a shorter step-in height, less off-road capability, more car-like ride, and better economy I would have opted for the Toyota.

Ducks

Mood: Bipolar with a hint of ADD

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 05:52 PM

:?: you're comparing a 2wd mini-truck to a 4x4 jeep. Apples to Oranges. Compare a 4x4 jeep to a 4x4 toyota and then see what happens. How about an fj40 or fj70 to a rubicon? Something that is more apples to apples.

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 05:52 PM

........uhhhhhhh, doesn't the Rubicon have Eaton e-lockers? No air there.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.