Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Gonzaga
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 07:44 AM

The road to GB is lots better....no more Tres Marias, miles and miles of washboard, sharp rocks (well, only a few left) and other bad stuff.

BUT...you must alway remember the Chupacabras up in the barancas and bandidos up there polishing their pistolas and waxing their mustachios in preparation for a fat Gringo in a Cadillac to stop to admire the new road and take a leak. These guys are friends of mine and they have been waiting to get rich sticking up fat Gringos for about 200 years. They sing Coo, coo, coo, coo coo, la Paloma in the moonlight but they are always off key.

Then, when you have finally made it to Gonzaga Bay, you will find polluted beaches, trash all over the place, local Mexicans charging about $50 per hour to camp, lousy fishing, scorpions in your shoes, sting rays in the surf and 100 mph winds every night. The place is not what is advertised. If I were you I'd simply go to Buena Park or Bell Gardens for the weekend....much nicer places.

BB:-)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 07:48 AM

Sounds like my kind of place, see you in a month.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 08:01 AM

TW...well, since you are an Elite Nomad, you can come because you obviously are ready to cope with the place. Besides, we don't have any guys here who qualify as "elite" anything. Most are fat and ugly and smell like fish guts.
BB
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
Depends on the load and your tires. But about 29# works on an F150 with BFG TAs and a light load.

BB

Is that load range C or D tires?

I have C's on my Jeep and 29 would still be too stiff a ride. I run around on dirt roads at about 23-24.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 08:50 AM

BB...you forgot about the horrific air pollution and the bumper to bumper traffic!!!

I usually air down to 20psi and I have a stock Tacoma 31" tires...maybe a bit more if a long long washboard road and a bit less if a short haul. Just have that good compressor handy when it's time to air back up.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Out of curiosity, what does everybody air down to for traveling to GB on this final stretch? I'm in a 2005 Nissan pathfinder 4wd.

If a graded road has rocks in the base, washboard surface... then to save tires I believe the air down rule is valid... to 20-25 psi for my mid-size truck on these Hankook Dynapro tires (normal pavement pressure is 38 psi with max. of 44 psi).

I have not followed this rule very well, and sadly, I have had a number of rock punctures on graded roads in Baja (most in the Gonzaga Bay to Laguna Chapala section or the Punta San Carlos road).

Mostly flats happen with the stock BFG tires (Rugged Trail TA), but even on the Dynapro, driving fast on the well pipeline road out from La Ventana (south of Mexicali) got a rock puncture... Baja Angel was driving, so I can blame it on that, right?

Air down on dirt roads, and even more for deep sand (15 psi). Have a air pump that connects to the battery to fill up fast. The cigarette lighter connect ones are much slower.
5-6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute. If you need to put 18 psi back in the tires, 3 minutes per tire sure beats 9 minutes per tire!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 04:58 PM

HOPEFULLY ?????
Goin to Gonzaga for the Easter "party"
Anybody else ???

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 3-29-2012 at 06:22 PM

Easter Party?/?
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 10:14 PM

I'm going "thru" to Bahia de Los Angeles via Calamajue :cool:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 11:13 PM

Hey Bull...would love to hear how Calamajue is. Couple years ago it was just a few guys in a "fish camp". But they helped us beach launch our Valco. Windy yes so we didn't go far but rounding the point and looking south was amazing.......what a gloriously beautiful stretch of cliffs and nothingness...and I mean nothingness is THE most positive use of the term!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Hey Bull...would love to hear how Calamajue is. Couple years ago it was just a few guys in a "fish camp". But they helped us beach launch our Valco. Windy yes so we didn't go far but rounding the point and looking south was amazing.......what a gloriously beautiful stretch of cliffs and nothingness...and I mean nothingness is THE most positive use of the term!

My guess is that Desert Bull means Calamajue Canyon as in the original gulf coast road south, past the mill and mission site.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 01:28 PM

Ah...my bad!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 06:19 PM

Maybe he drove into the cove, too? Tim??

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 10:45 PM

Oh...THAT road! Where the mud and water are just a TAD bit deeper than they really look? Thank god for tow ropes and granny low in reverse... but a great great adventure.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Oh...THAT road! Where the mud and water are just a TAD bit deeper than they really look? Thank god for tow ropes and granny low in reverse... but a great great adventure.

Yah, that road... wasn't always that deep... but run a few Baja 1000s through it and there you go!

Here I am my first time through (with mom and dad) in 1967 (9 1/2)... I am standing by a wood beam at the gold ore mill site, overlooking the Calamajue valley and canyon entrance. (the mission site is across the arroyo on the opposite side)

In Nov., 2009 (I was 22) and driving my Subaru, pre-running the Baja 1000 on the first section I was going to drive (San Matias to El Crucero)... This is Calamajue Canyon then (and still 'Hwy. 5' until the Laguna Chapala to Pto. Calamajue graded road was built about 3 years later):

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.