Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 11:54 PM

I hope they at least send the dog home. It's way too hot to put a dog through that. It supposed to be in the mid 90's the next few days and so it'll be over 100 in the sun. Not good for any of them:no:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I think they're on dirt next to road whenever possible. The hwy around 3 sisters is gonna hurt: sun bouncing off those cliffs and no parallel road.

They're doing less than 1 mile per hour now and need to avg 20 miles per day. Something must change.

Sleep in day and walk at night? I don't think there's any place cool enough to sleep midday.

It's tough. Dump the schedule is the first step.

who cooked up the idea to do this hike in summer?

earlier i predicted they would quit in 14 days. i now predict they will quit in under 10 days.

Perhaps. But I still admire them.

"Well, godamit, at least I tried"

artc2B22.jpg - 4kB
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 07:45 AM

It's sure looking like they should have set a more "reasonable" goal of 10-15 miles a day. That's still a tough walk; but not impossible like this 20 mile/day goal.

Everyday is going to get tougher and tougher to even bend over and put on boots and hoist up the pack.

Who knows, if they slow it down, like they should, maybe Ill see them in the 7 sisters area at the END of August as they walk by our camp....Ill have an ice cold, soda or beer waiting for them. :yes:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 10:00 AM

Alright!

They walked from 6:30 - 9 and covered 6? miles. Thats more than double yesterday's pace.

More importantly, they stopped. I hope its for an all day rest and then they walk from 7pm to midnight.

Adapt, improvise and overcome!

Suerte

No worries
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 02:48 PM

From day one I said this was a nightmare in the making. What I can't fathom is why those "in the know"....Graham....didn't call baloney on this plan.
Your ommision of your true feelings, if they were realistic, may get these people in trouble.....and I honestly believe you supported their adventure for no other reason that, you support adventure.
These people have a problem by their own design and I think it's incumbant on us to begin preparing for the inevitible, and stick close to them as they melt down.
This trek was their folly.
Our place is to see that they don't get hurt.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:06 PM
Once again I agree with Dennis (a bad habit)

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
From day one I said this was a nightmare in the making. What I can't fathom is why those "in the know"....Graham....didn't call baloney on this plan.
Your ommision of your true feelings, if they were realistic, may get these people in trouble.....and I honestly believe you supported their adventure for no other reason that, you support adventure.
These people have a problem by their own design and I think it's incumbant on us to begin preparing for the inevitible, and stick close to them as they melt down.
This trek was their folly.
Our place is to see that they don't get hurt.

Frightening for those of us that know Baja....

In the 500 many years ago our route dropped down from the pine forest to the coast, down some really grim washes, then on to San Felipe.

Two guys driving a truck got stuck, and reportedly one died from exposure... and I suspect that they had more water on board than the walking folks.

I wish them well, I fear for their fate....
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:13 PM
S.F.weather

I was in Playa Del Oro this weekend - highs in the 90's, clear, nice breeze. Nice day for a walk. Didn't see the hikers.

The spot tracker doesn't seem to work with Chrome.

Neil
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:14 PM

I doubt someone will die with this (mis)adventure, But I agree with Dennis on his comments.

Moral support is honourable, but perhaps best saved for better planned undertakings.

Good luck folks....the "experienced" have offered their wisdom...:light::light:

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:17 PM

when the SOS goes out i'm sure they'll get the help, one way or another.

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:45 PM

Wow! I just checked the weather in San Felipe and it said it's 107 right now on Yahoo weather and 104 right now on Accuweather. The forecast had been 96. Maybe that's why they have been staying put for the last few hours.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I hope they at least send the dog home. It's way too hot to put a dog through that. It supposed to be in the mid 90's the next few days and so it'll be over 100 in the sun. Not good for any of them:no:

I sure hope the dog is OK. Most dogs need LOTS of water and shade in the heat.

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:24 PM

Thank you all for the advice, comments and support. We got some internet access from Sal and Maria at Campo San Carlos. We are safe, and moving a little slower than planned. Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us. Rachel and I will start walking nights only. Previous injuries have come back to huant me, so I am unable to carry my pack at any weight, I am currently pushing my pack in a baby stroller we got from a segunda...gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thank you all for the suggestions, ideas, and support. We may not be on time, but we will be there, we will not give up, but we will be as safe as we can. You all welcome to support us at anytime.

Thanks again we will update as we can.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Thank you all for the advice, comments and support. We got some internet access from Sal and Maria at Campo San Carlos. We are safe, and moving a little slower than planned. Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us. Rachel and I will start walking nights only. Previous injuries have come back to huant me, so I am unable to carry my pack at any weight, I am currently pushing my pack in a baby stroller we got from a segunda...gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thank you all for the suggestions, ideas, and support. We may not be on time, but we will be there, we will not give up, but we will be as safe as we can. You all welcome to support us at anytime.

Great attitude! If you need help... post! (use to be holler)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:29 PM

Quote:

Great to hear you two are doing well and making necessary adjustments---and I sure hope you have pictures of your pack in a baby stroller ---that is GREAT.

And glad to hear your dog is going home. :yes:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:42 PM

They always take a midday break. First day noon to 3PM. Yesterday, noon to 5PM.

Today their break came at 10:30AM and is still continuing.

The map always shows these breaks occur at intersections or pullouts by the side of the hwy. I, therefore, suspect that during the noon breaks vehicles may be there to help them with water and staying cool. Otherwise they wouldn't have gotten this far.

Yesterday they walked from 5PM to 7PM after that break. If that pattern holds up we should see the spotter start sending it's signal pretty soon now.

Oops - didn't see the above.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

My most serious concern as well. Had he had a choice, he'd be elsewhere.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us.

Thanks. I'll sleep better. :)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

My most serious concern as well. Had he had a choice, he'd be elsewhere.

Maybe they should put the dog in the pram.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. Just me being me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 05:38 PM
MON. 5:30 PM

DAY 2:

At one of the access roads to Shell Island, about Km. 25...

Thanks to Skipjack Joe for the help in capturing Spot images!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 06:45 PM

guess I should not put my pesos into this BUT

do they think for one minute as they TRY to walk further south, that it will get cooler and they will be able to travel more each day. they are not yet out of San Felipe
and they are behind,
I dont what to wish bad luck on any one, but this is not going to happen
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.