BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13
Author: Subject: JULY 2012 BAJA TRIP TO THE TIP and beyond! ALL 15 DAYS POSTED!
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katiejay99
The locals around here say that when El Triunfo was going strong, the owners brought over Chinese as slave laborers and that is where the Chinese heritage in this area came from. Their is a separate burial ground just for the Chinese workers. Did you go to the tombs?

My sources say that the Chinese presence in these parts came mainly from Santa Rosalia, where they were, indeed brought over under less than ideal conditions, as were the Japanese. One book says that the French owners of El Boleo fanned the natural prejudices among the various ethnic groups (incuding Mexicans) working in Santa Rosalia to keep the workers divided and working against their common interests.

I was told that the graveyard that David has posted photos of is of American and European foreigners. Once I find my book on El Triunfo, I'll look that info up and post.

I just looked up El Triunfo in local teacher/historia Leonardo Reyes Silva's "Cronica: Caso y Cosas del Municipio de La Paz" and, while he mentions that the chimney is named "Antonia," he makes no mention of any Eiffel connection. He also goes on to identify a "Chinese cementary" east of town surrounded with a brick wall and next to the town's water supply that has 8 tombs with no identification on them.

While this closely matches the cementary David and I and our wives visited, there is one obvious discrepancy: while he states that there are 8 tombs located there, we counted 13. Such inconsistencies are one reason I have little faith in Reyes-Silva's work, so I wouldn't bet on that cementary being Chinese.

[Edited on 8-3-2012 by Bajatripper]

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 11:25 AM

Great report David! I missed out on my trip to the tip this year, so this really helps out.
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes, you are right about the tombs that David showed the pictures of being the non-Chinese burial site. I have been there. The separate Chinese burial site is on the other side of the highway from what I have been told, but I haven't gone looking for it. hmmm... I will check Google Earth and see if I can see it on there based on the info I have.

Thank you David for all of your pictures and posts. It has been fun following you around. LOL. You make me feel like I was with you. Thank you again.
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 11:45 AM

Okay, found it. There is even a photo tagged on it called "Panteon Chino" (Chinese Cemetery). The coords are:
23 47 56.16 N
110 06 50.31w
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katiejay99
Okay, found it. There is even a photo tagged on it called "Panteon Chino" (Chinese Cemetery). The coords are:
23 47 56.16 N
110 06 50.31w

Thanks for that info, I'll have to go check that out.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 07:01 PM

Baja is a land of wonder, adventure and tons of history!

Day 7 report and photos, soon!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 07:54 PM
DAY 7, La Paz Museums and Beaches

Friday, July 20th (Day 7): Today, much less driving as we have a visit to two museums in the city of La Paz and spend the afternoon at two beaches: La Balandra and Tecolote.

Steve and Zully were our hosts and guides, as we toured two museums featuring Baja California Sur history. Next, we went to the plaque on a city side street placed by INAH as the possible location for the mission of La Paz, of which nothing remains. The modern church, a few blocks to the north is named as the mission by some books, but there is no connection in reality. Bajatripper has uncovered some evidence that the true location was even in a different place than the plaque, a bit more south? Later, we head to Bahia Balandra and walk out to the famous ‘mushroom rock’ a popular La Paz photo site.

We then head north to Tecolote Beach, which looks across the San Lorenzo channel to Isla Espiritu Santo. Elizabeth and I go for a swim in the calm water as Steve and Zully watch from the beach… Soon Elizabeth says something has hit her arm and she describes the pain… then I get hit on the ankle… yep, jellyfish (agua mala). The single string kind, nothing you can easily see. The burning goes away later, but we know why Bajatripper and Zully, didn’t join us! LOL.

That night, we have dinner at Bajatripper’s favorite hot dog cart, and they make more than hot dogs there. A big line forms soon after we order our burritos and hot dogs.

Enjoy the photos:

On El Camino Real (photo in one museum)

The plaque at the INAH location for the La Paz mission.

In the next museum:

The flag of William Walker’s Republic of Lower California and Sonora (he claimed to be president of)

El Triunfo

A sugar cane press (Todos Santos history)

Some interesting items… read the following…

We stop by a tile shop, and see some wild bathroom fixtures…

Bahia Balandra:

Baja Angel, my joy and love…

On Tecolote Beach

Hot Dog Stand, Baja Style!

End of Day 7 and Week #1 of our Big Baja Trip 2012... There is a whole lot more, and some big surprises yet to come… stay tuned as tomorrow, we go south to Cabo and beyond!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 11:10 AM

Wondering if the amount of photos is causing anyone a problem with seeing the entire thread? I am considering finishing week 1 here, and starting a new thread for week 2? Cabo loop, Asuncion fossils, Pozo Aleman, Big Painted Cave, Punta San Francisquito, L.A. Bay with Paulina, Dern and Mary Ann Humfreville are all coming up...

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 11:53 AM

David K, No problems! Enjoying your posts/pics. You and your lady are having a good time. Doesn't get any better than that! Thanks for sharing.;D
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 12:12 PM

David, where in heck is this tile store???

I'm in love L.U.V.!!!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 12:41 PM
Tripin'

Killer and awesome stuff David! Can't wait for Week 2!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

I'm in love L.U.V.!!!

Bajatripper can tell you! :-)

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 03:00 PM

Quote:

I'm in love L.U.V.!!!

Quinta Lupitas

http://www.quintalupitatalavera.com

The corner of Constitucion and Guillermo Prieta, La Paz.

Nice stuff!
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:

I'm in love L.U.V.!!!

The tile store is on the corner of Constitucion and Guillermo Prieto streets. It has the best selection and prices that I've been able to find in La Paz.

Just noticed, too late, but I won't delete so that nobody thinks I don't care.

[Edited on 8-3-2012 by Bajatripper]

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wondering if the amount of photos is causing anyone a problem with seeing the entire thread? I am considering finishing week 1 here, and starting a new thread for week 2? Cabo loop, Asuncion fossils, Pozo Aleman, Big Painted Cave, Punta San Francisquito, L.A. Bay with Paulina, Dern and Mary Ann Humfreville are all coming up...

No problems at all.....working great!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 06:11 PM

David,

Serious documentation here.....

It's like a Baja Visual Encyclopedia. Lots of good info.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 06:29 PM

DK

very good stuff
you really should make a living doing this about Baja

I have said this before about your work
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
DK

very good stuff
you really should make a living doing this about Baja

I have said this before about your work

I am hoping this comes true... I am getting a bit tired (old?) to be in the dirt, gluing pipes and sprinklers! I do love Baja... Thanks for the kind words (all of you)!

Okay, I have a photo from Bajatripper's camera that is part of the Day 7 trip picks... It is the El Triunfo church, as seen from the ore processing ruins...

The Day 8 photos are looking great and I have several from Bajatripper's camera I will integrate with mine: San Pedrito (near Todos Santos), Cabo San Lucas, & Las Cuevas bat cave!

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 06:56 PM

I know this is a little late but next time you are at El Triunfo, there is a fairly good road to San Antonio that is not highway 1. The road starts on the South end of town and goes behind the old mill site. It follows a valley along a stream bed and then goes up over the ridge. Near the top you hit a brick paved road. If you go left, you end up in San Antonio. If you turn right, you end up at the big micro wave tower on the mountain to the west. That brick road must be about 5 miles or more. Someone built a lot of brick to make that happen.

From the micro wave tower there are some very nice views of the ocean and the big island off shore.

In San Antonio, you can turn off of highway 1 near the gas station and head up into the mountains. About 2 miles up you go by another old mill site on the left hand side. It is fun to look around also. This road continues a number of miles west where you come to a locked gate with guards. It is an active mining site.

There are lots and lots of roads in that area to explore. Some were on my GPS map and some were not.

Wilton
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
That is a great story! I need to read 'The Adventures of Stickeen in Lower California 1874' by John F. Janes. It is #28 of the Dawson Baja Traveler Series and about El Triunfo.

David, isnt El Triunfo where JR had his bamboo project going on?
Great photos!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.