Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8
Author: Subject: marlin marlin marlin
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docvandijk

The pro boats catching 190 are slamming fish in no time and are using breakaway leaders. They leave a lot of hooks and leaders on fish. The hooks are designed to dissolve. I witnessed a "catch and release" completed in under 17 seconds. The catch is when the deck hand touches the leader. Using IGFA standard double line and leader length they get the fish in a hurry.

I'm all for catching. And quite frequently, I'm all for harvesting too.
But catching and releasing triple digit numbers of marlin should be every but as questionable ( ethically ) as a hero shot with 3 dead marlin.
It seems to me that most hardcore fishermen get past the "how many can I catch" stage rather early in their lives and move on to such things as challenging species, light tackle, big fish etc.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 07:54 AM
BREAKAWAY LEADERS ???????

CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THOSE !! NEVER HEARD OF THEM....ANYBODY HAVE A BRAND NAME OR MORE INFO....NEWS TO ME !! K&T:cool:
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 08:58 AM

The leaders must be bimini twisted to a light main line like 20lb. Grab the doubled line and simply break off the entire leader. Leaving the hook and leader in the fish.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 09:18 AM

Ok then it's settled, we need for Bill Collector, bajajudy, mike odell, LosCabosbound and any other extremist that has slandered Blanca to apologize........ and in the future lets get our facts straight prior to running our mouths / keyboard. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Blanca you go girl.....

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Don't think you fish. It's not our version it's the law. Learn it.
Guess you've never fished any Marlin tournaments.

The Bill Fish Foundation supports tournaments and turns a blind eye to the number of fish killed after release, those fish were killed for pleasure only! not food! People that typically support tournaments ride around in high priced boats and look down on others because they want it all to be about sport for the elites! YES the ELITES. They shun those that take some for food. You can't kill only certain species of fish if you do you will have nothing but predators left and the system crashes, biology 101.

Live Indubiously!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dorado50
Legal or not...All I see are three yo-yos with three awesome fish that sre more spectacular in the water than out of the water.

nice weighin on the situation D50. You should come down to LB coop and voice those same opinions. How do you say yoyo in Spanish?
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 11:28 AM

I received my "education" regarding catch and release about 10 years ago from a panga captain who has fished the East Cape for the last 40 years.
He is still my favorite captain. He takes receational anglers out during tourist season, and fishes commercial during other months.
I respect his knowledge, and have learned from him.
I have never kept a billfish, never will. I will not eat any billfish.

My normal trip is 3 days fishing, and I will keep one fish per day that my hotel will prepare for my dinner, and sometimes my captain will keep one fish for his family dinner. It makes for fun fishing. I do sometimes have the smoke house package some fish to take home, and all is consumed.

Blanca, I didn't know much when I first started, but the East Cape resorts practice strong catch and release standards, based upon what they see as fishermen. It is very frowned upon to keep any billfish. No photo will be taken of a dead billfish to post on the website of the hotel where I stay, so that fishermen are encouraged to release these fish.

It would be great if the fishermen in your area practice catch and release, regardless of what may be allowed. I have read so many nice things about you, and understand you do great things for your community. You are a leader that can help make a difference!

Scot
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
I received my "education" regarding catch and release about 10 years ago from a panga captain who has fished the East Cape for the last 40 years.
He is still my favorite captain. He takes receational anglers out during tourist season, and fishes commercial during other months.

My normal trip is 3 days fishing, and I will keep one fish per day that my hotel will prepare for my dinner, and sometimes my captain will keep one fish for his family dinner. It makes for fun fishing. I do sometimes have the smoke house package some fish to take home, and all is consumed.

Blanca, I didn't know much when I first started, but the East Cape resorts practice strong catch and release standards, based upon what they see as fishermen. It is very frowned upon to keep any billfish. No photo will be taken of a dead billfish to post on the website of the hotel where I stay, so that fishermen are encouraged to release these fish.

It would be great if the fishermen in your area practice catch and release, regardless of what may be allowed. I have read so many nice things about you, and understand you do great things for your community. You are a leader that can help make a difference!

Scot

Nicely said

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 12:00 PM

Glad to see so many diverse opinions on the board without a fistfight. I reported about fishing here to Western Outdoor News for a few years but had to quit that when I thought my East Cape fishermen neighbors were bringing fish to my house for the picture/story for the press THAT THEY OTHERWISE MIGHT HAVE RELEASED.

To be fair, the key word EDUCATION could also be attached to PROMOTION. Can't promote sportfishing without pictures of fish and when that add/mag/blog runs it's hard to find the Education section that says "You don't have to keep these fish in the pictures to have fun." Said another way = try to promote your sportfishing business without the hype, the pix.

In the very bottom of all this is a thing called character: I don't know how I'm helping or hurting the fishery. I have no control over Mexico's mismanagement of the resource. Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching. Fishing character is doing the right thing when you head home with your 5 sierra while you watch your neighbor Nacho sing his celebration Boo Haaah cause he has 70 in his boat just to sell to local restaurants (he's not a commercial fisherman, not a co-op guy (and no license).

Finally, about them thar disappearing hooks. My uncle was a marlin and died in my arms telling me the real story about how long it takes a steel hook to disintegrate in salt water.

[Edited on 9-27-2012 by Osprey]
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by sd

Scot

Nicely said

Yes, indeed.
docvandijk

Mood: Vitir y dar vitir

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THOSE !! NEVER HEARD OF THEM....ANYBODY HAVE A BRAND NAME OR MORE INFO....NEWS TO ME !! K&T:cool:

Hi Skipper,

I had never heard of a breakaway leader until Oct. 2006. I got to fill in for a few days off Mag Bay with a team practicing for the Bisbee. They were using tournament hooks on breakaway leaders. Instead of billing the fish and extracting the hook tbese leaders were designed to break a few inches above the hook under a sharp pull or snap. They held under a regular strain but broke away under a sharp force. As explained to me, they were of the mind that a hook designed to dissolve was better left in than to bill the fish and extract tbe hook. These guys were fishing nothing but Trinidad 20s and 30s with 20# test. They were not breaking the line, just snapping off the leaders next to the fish. I don't fish in that level of tournaments but every one of the 4 boats up there practicing were using them. I had a suspicion the gear was more designed for speed than out of concern for the
fish, but that was their story.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 01:54 PM

Might be time for this little story.

Alka-Selzer Hooks

I knew the guy, Chad Atkins. He was sitting, standing, lurching near the bar at Rancho Leonero as he let us know how he felt about the hooks to be used in the fishing tournament which would begin just 39 hours from now. “Screw MC. Screw MC users and all the sponsors who are pushing this crap.”

He was jawjackin’ about the Multi-Coated Hooks which had been declared mandatory by the tournament board. At first I thought he was just exercised about which company got the OK to provide the hooks, or the cost, about $12 per hook.

He went on. “I’m not takin’ my whole crimping kit out there, have my sleeves dancin’ all over the deck, fumblin’ around makin’ leaders and rigs on board, while we’re supposed to be fishin’.”

I’d heard it all before. Another hard-head who didn’t get the message. Tournament fishing has come a long way from keep all the fish to tag and brag, water measure and all release, circle hooks and now the MC hooks. The new hooks were catching on. Here and at other fishing resorts the managers tell the bartenders to cook a hook or two in a c-cktail glass every shift. That way, everybody gets to watch, touch, feel, be a part of something. In sea water you can almost see the things dissolving in the glass.

Gamakatsu beat Owner by just 20 days when the hooks in the little bags full of gel hit the market. They won the big prize, got a jump on Mustad, Owner, the other big hook sellers. As tournament directors around the world learned about the strength tests, the 48 hour dissolving time, the cost, they began to get in line. The hookmakers were still taking flack about the fact that the gel packets looked like condoms, that all bets were off about hook life after the packets were opened. Members of Billfish Groups, now dedicated to the use of the hooks, could finally feel they were doing all they could do for the fishery wherever their tournaments were held, whatever game fish was the object of their contest.

I suppose every salt water fishermen, especially those who fish for billfish, wondered just how long it took his hooks, in the mouth, gill or gut of a fish he released, to rust out. Bar room chatter would always include some conjecture about days or weeks for ordinary hooks but in their hearts and minds they knew better. All of them had found, at one time or another, a rusty hook in their tackle cupboard that was still sharp and strong; a rusty relic that had never been used, was shiny and bright 10 or 15 years ago when it was purchased. Not enough to say “well this thing’s been here in the drawer all this time, not in salt water”. Serious sportsmen are willing to buy, rig and use disposable hooks; same-day hooks make for short-time rigging but the fishermen can now check the rig, the leader, just before use, be assured everything looks good.
When ole Chad sobers up tomorrow he’ll buy some MC hooks, take his kit aboard, crimp and grumble. Later he’ll brag about using the hooks to whoever will listen to him back home.
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Originally posted by dorado50
Legal or not...All I see are three yo-yos with three awesome fish that sre more spectacular in the water than out of the water.

nice weighin on the situation D50. You should come down to LB coop and voice those same opinions. How do you say yoyo in Spanish?

Thanks, a picture says a thousand words,I just added a few more! I just passed by LB by boat earlier this month. Can't make it down there again till late winter. Can you wait till then?. Cool on the spanish quiz....I'll say payaso:biggrin:
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 05:09 PM

The pangueros just say Yoyo
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 05:57 PM
to sd

HOLA, it dont matter if you got 50 years on a boat !! there is a hell of big diff between some guy running a ponga/BOAT/YACHT and someone who is a CAPTAIN !! TAKES TRAINING,SCHOOLING AND YES ALSO TIME ON THE WATER..BUT RUNNING A PONGA DOES NOT IN ANY WAY MAKE SOME ONE A "CAPTAIN" BUT HEY WHAT DO I KNOW...U.S.G.C.AUX.FLOTIILLA 6-7 DISTIRT 11....I'M BETTING HE IS GREAT GUY AND KNOWS SOME TRICK'S..BUT CAPTAIN.............SORRY,,,,NOT !!!! CFR'S AND SOLA'S...TILL YOU LEARN THOSE,,NO ONE IS A CAPTAIN..JUST A BOAT OWNER !!! ,,NEXT TIME YOUR OUT ASK ABOUT THE RULES OF THE ROAD OR COLREGS OR ANY BASIC BOAT OP'S ?.. NOT GONNA HAPPEN !! BE A-VISED , I HAVE BEEN EMBEDDED WITH THE PONGA FLEETS SINCE I WAS 17,,I'M NOW 52. MOSTLY AT LA PLAYITA AND CABO and PLAYA PALMILLA....SO ,,THAT SAID THESE ARE MY FRIENDS AND I LOVE THEM AND THEIR FAMILYS... BUT NOT CAPTAINS.. SIMPLY BOAT OWNERS.......K&T :cool:

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by captkw]

LosCabosbound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Ok then it's settled, we need for Bill Collector, bajajudy, mike odell, LosCabosbound and any other extremist that has slandered Blanca to apologize........ and in the future lets get our facts straight prior to running our mouths / keyboard. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Blanca you go girl.....

No apology coming from my for my comment... I never mentioned anything about legalities, only that 3 marlin should not be strung up. The one that she posted the day before was justifiable as the fishes stomach came out, but the three the next day is dead wrong.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
When you fish in Mexican waters follow the rules. I know Mike Odell has won some of the big marlin tournament as we have. You have to know all the rules not make them up. Only fisherman should really comment on this, not the week end fisherman who doesn't have a clue.
any other clueless weekend fishermen waiting for a response?:?:
tournament bill must still be on the water huh?:?:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:28 PM

hello, time to say hi again...the skippers here do now practice catch and release and it has actually been many an American/Canadian fisherman who has explained this to them. This is their first year. We need to cut them some slack too. Mistakes will be made.

I am indeed involved in the community and love everything Baja and I will be one of the biggest advocates for not killing billfish now that I know...just like I defend black sea bass now as well. I learned here on baja nomad, way back when, that they are endangered and special and deserve to be left right where they are. They are not included in the la bocana tournaments any more (I think if they are to be protected then it doesnt make sense to kill them one day for a tournament. Just my opinion. And if marlin decide to permanently hang out here in la bocana - I will do my best to see that they are protected. see what education does ?!

But, for the record, I think that my husband's friends, who work 80 hour weeks and fish on their vacation, had the time of their life catching their marlin ... I do not fish at all, ever,... but by the smiles on their faces, these guys had a magnificent day...and I guess that is what fishing is about ? catching and releasing almost all but keeping the one or two that are unique and a feather in one's cap ?

Have a great day all and thanks for being you. I do hope bill collector comes to visit us one day ! and that we take a picture LOL !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:42 PM

Unfortunately BajaBlanca you will find or already know that the extreme ones on this board never say sorry nor that they were in fact misinformed. You have made the change in the best interest of billfishing by now requesting catch & release in the future. Keep on smiling and keep the faith as the world doesn't really revolve around strong negative people. There is a way to express your displeasure with something without being overboard causing feelings to be harmed. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:52 PM

yup, don't expect an apology or even an okay I was wrong, but a few weeks ago when someone was looking for help for a friend........
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.