BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11
Author: Subject: NB/SB Hwy 1 (toll road) Closed at La Mision due to road collapse (pictures)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:12 PM

It's been a cut and paste job for the past 10 years that I can remember. However, the highway was built on a geological fault which was probably a big mistake. The earthquakes can crack a house foundation and can cause damage to an undamaged building. So I am sure they contributed somewhat to the demise of this area. It's unfortunate because it is a beautiful road but probably not the most sound, they will probably divert the whole road to the free road for safety and there goes the views.
Quote:
Originnally posted by David K
It is an unstable cliff, as many are next to the ocean. It didn't need an earthquake to slide, but if there are quakes it sure helps the ground to move. Maybe the government needs to publish the earthquake story to keep protests down that the highway should have never been constructed there...? The view seemed to be more important when picking the route above Salsipuedes beach?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:22 PM

All highways in California and Baja California travel over faults... It would be impossible to build a road anywhere here otherwise.

Building next to a collapsing sea cliff, on a fault or not, was the problem. It has worked okay until (as you said) about 10 years ago when that spot obviously began moving and they kept pouring asphalt over the cracks... It was just bound to happen... the road needs to be further away from the ocean and landslide area... Perhaps on top of the mountain?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
when was the last rainfall? it's been 80 degree santa ana weather since forever!

Seriously!

It rains every winter and the ground shakes all the time... it's not like this is new stuff surprising Mexican engineers, is it?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:27 PM

Part of the road was built obviously with the view in mind, maybe a suspension bridge like Engineer Mike mentioned might be the answer!
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:29 PM

I crossed yesterday morning (Saturday) early at Otay and arrived at the toll road and Blvd. 2000 around first light. A few minutes later traffic was diverted off the toll road onto the old highway.

I didn't know what the problem was at the time and didn't find out until I got home to Loreto an hour or so ago.

The old road from the detour on to Ensedada is in good shape. I would estimate that it took only 10 - 15 minutes longer than a trip on the toll road before the collapse.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

The old road from the detour on to Ensedada is in good shape. I would estimate that it took only 10 - 15 minutes longer than a trip on the toll road before the collapse.

That is a good thing.

Geologists must be a very frustrated group of people as they are far too often ignored.

[Edited on 12-29-2013 by DianaT]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:33 PM

Sigh, looks like the scenic road might be closed permanently. Does anyone know why Mirador has been closed over 5 years?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:52 PM

EnsenadaDr, no two ways about it the quakes helped give it a push.
My money is on a new route for a long time if not permanently. Like others have said, the instability stretches all the way to San Miguel. Back to the old remote Salsepuedes coastline. We will probably see all the other northbound/southbound routes get a major facelift.

Some will lose and others will prosper.

[Edited on 12-29-2013 by BajaRat]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 02:14 PM
Interesting Video

Interesting video from Rosarito TV 69

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151922139964506&s...

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 03:36 PM

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 06:05 PM

I cannot count the number of times my family has traversed this road. But, there are major geologic problems along much of the highway South of Rosarito. Hence, the almost constant repaving and rehabilitating year after year.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It was just bound to happen... the road needs to be further away from the ocean and landslide area... Perhaps on top of the mountain?

Bound to happen? Actually, it's been happening for eons... In slow and fast motion, so to speak.
Why build a new road on top of the hill when the inland free road already takes the path of least resistance? Widen the free road to 4 lanes, straighten out a few curves, and bob's your uncle!
The scenic road can be left to the 4wd crowd to provide them a new area for knuckle dragging :lol:
Somebody mentioned building a bridge,... Silly idea, the spans would be quite large, costs and time to construct would be prohibitive, relative to improving existing free road.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 08:11 PM

First thanks to all who have reported and posted vids and pics of this event.
Little story here-- Friday night I read the first few posts in this thread after drinking a few cervezas with Jeff, AKA Pancho Villa and Bajacalifornian. I told Jeff we would fish Saturday for a few hours, and come over at 5:45. We left our park (K-38) and headed down to La Salina. I never thought another thing about this thread because the road was open. Well at 6:15AM the road was closed and they wern`t letting anyone through. I guessed what the problem might be and said we were just going a few miles to La Salina. NO was the answer, libre only!! So the libre we took to a "go around" road to get to the boat and fish. We did see numerous vehicles on the toll road going north and south from La Salina, but it must have been local traffic.
BTW the fishing was good, except for those damn whales!! We would be fishing peacefully away when the sound of "WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA" would mean another pest is almost ramming the boat!! Almost as bad as those darn waves that make all that noise when I`m trying to take a siesta!!!
dpwahoo
Junior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty, and ready to fish!

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 08:37 PM
Toll Road

So, if you live in La Salina you cant get through? What about playing golf at Bajamar? That would devestate those two establishments.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 08:42 PM

I would imagine that if you live in La Salina or Baja Mar and can prove it, they will let you through.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo
So, if you live in La Salina you cant get through? What about playing golf at Bajamar? That would devestate those two establishments.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote:

All I know is that Saturday morning we could get back to the toll road south of the road block. Another thing-- the gas station with the OXXO was open. So if you are craving coffee, liquor, cigs, doughnuts, cookies or whatever, stop on by!!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Quote:

All I know is that Saturday morning we could get back to the toll road south of the road block. Another thing-- the gas station with the OXXO was open. So if you are craving coffee, liquor, cigs, doughnuts, cookies or whatever, stop on by!!
so you crossed the bridge going into la mision and followed the road on the south side of the river coming out in punta piedras? interesting shortcut they gave you!:lol:
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

so you crossed the bridge going into la mision and followed the road on the south side of the river coming out in punta piedras? interesting shortcut they gave you!:lol:

Yeah that is the road. Shortcut??? Not going south, maybe coming from the south and then over to the toll road. I`m not talking about a shortcut that someone gave me, just saying that La Salina and Bajamar can be reached on this road if they don`t let you through the road block.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that is the road. Shortcut??? Not going south, maybe coming from the south and then over to the toll road. I`m not talking about a shortcut that someone gave me, just saying that La Salina and Bajamar can be reached on this road if they don`t let you through the road block.
gotcha, hey that a nice little campground along that road dontcha think?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 10:45 PM
The 2WD crowd already beat us to it!

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

The scenic road can be left to the 4wd crowd to provide them a new area for knuckle dragging :lol:

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.