BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Any news about Bahia de Los Angeles?
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:19 PM

Heading down tomorrow early Am - will post info after we review the entire affect of the storm in Bahia - Marv
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 12:20 AM

Just came back from Bahia de los Angeles, went to deliver fuel and drinking water.

Theres some major road repairs as you get closer to town, the CFE crews working really hard got power to town today at 8 pm, everybody cheered when the lights went on.

So far we havent heard of any casualty (other than the Boleo directives in Santa Rosalía), but theres a lot of damage to private property, and at least 40 families lost everything they had.

The good news? We started a temporary employment program to clean up the mess and get this people some cash, because there will not be fishing or tourism to provide food or income in the immediate future.

This image is on the beach on the back of mercado Isla, we are separating plastic, wood, metals and solid waste; we are also looking for dead animals to dispose properly.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 05:26 AM

good news indeed. we are heading down saterday night. any gas at the two gas stations? I heard you pretty much have to bring every thing down including gas.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:11 AM

Anyone know if the town's wifi is up yet? Looking forward to your report, Steve, and hope your places are OK. I suspect I have standing water inside.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:50 AM

Thank you for the report!

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 07:43 AM

Any news about Costa del Sol and Victoria?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:28 AM

Great news. Thanks for the update.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:36 PM

Great reports and updates! Thanks everyone!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 07:38 PM

"Town" WiFi? I thought hotels and stores each had their own WiFi via satellite dish.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:04 AM

There is a town wifi that the ejido provides. Others may have star band or other service but the "town" has a shared wifi that often goes down and can be very slow at times. It is also accessible to many of the camps outside of town. That is what Steve is referring to.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:32 AM

Villa Bahia had only two rooms with very minor water. ...according to what Roger told me yesterday. There was something said here (or another site?) that they lost two rooms....not true.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:37 AM

Dern got a fb message last night saying the town Internet was up.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 11:15 AM

Video from town posted yesterday on Mia's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9J0YEx9lWs
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 12:17 PM

Here's a site raising relief for BOLA:

https://www.causes.com/campaigns/83658-support-vsi-tropical-...

I also heard from Antonio Resendiz this morning that Meghann MacDonald is coordinating relief efforts as well. I will post more info as I get it.
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 12:19 PM

Newspaper coverage:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldetijuana/notas/n3544283.htm

http://www.lacronica.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/21092...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
Video from town posted yesterday on Mia's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9J0YEx9lWs

Good video. They only went from town center to Pemex, and then back. Small red cross is where they stopped and went back.

Me thinks, future floods - in 50 years? 5 years? - will likely follow the same pattern. Big arroyo empties into the bay half a mile from air strip - red arrows on the map. The longer arrow then follows the main road to town - that "river" in the video, East of the road. Half the water, more-less, goes to town, because terrain descends there, and the town road is keeping water to the East. You can see the "river" current - it goes South. Man, this "river" is bad.

Shorter arrow is where the rest of water goes in smaller streams, as terrain descends to sea. The contours of arroyo mouth (dry on the photo) is where flood streams fan out to the East and South-East.

The area directly East of the airport they don't show on the video, I would "guess" there were multiple smaller streams there, rather than one "river".

Plus, damage from leaky roof, doesn't matter where you are.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 08:24 AM

Thanks for that great visual with GE image. It's like did they think it would never rain enough to flow the arroyo when they built the airport across it??? I see a major flood control channel (ditch) from the mouth of the canyon to the bay, near the sand spit, needed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 11:48 AM

David, you're reading my mind. Flood ditch was exactly what I thought. From arroyo to somewhere near sand spit. Only there is hardly any vacant land there. And they would have to humbly ask the permission of estimado senor Slim - new owner of the airport, to cut near the South end of air strip.

Nah, these ideas sound like attempts to "improve" Mexico, many had tried, and failed :)

Yes, there WILL be new and heavier Odiles, and Sandy's (remember NY flood?). Climate change doesn't necessarily bring a warmer weather, first of all it brings instability, with weather becoming more violent.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 03:44 PM

Another update: got to bola saturday afternoon - road out of town was a real mess - debris and washouts ,but they cleaned it all up yesterday! - great government response - paying townspeople to clean beaches and town etc - however there is no relief other than food and water for those that sustained a lot of damage - most are going at it alone and with friends - we are stuck at our houses with massive erosion damage - 3-4 foot drops from garage to driveway. We did meet up with Luke Jobbins and young muscle has been a godsend. We surveyed the damage on quads from the military to dagetts - every one had damage - Glendale college had their pull through garage inudated lost a truck and other stuff - but toppled trailers, mobile homes, collasped buildings, water tanks common. Beaches are filled with debris like in the picture above - I will post pictures when possible. It is very hot so work is slow for us old guys.

If church groups, off roaders or any body that can come down, clothes are needed and simply muscle to help individual households. On the surface, most look ok, but all were hit hard. The electricity is up, water stations have frest water, but we had no problem giving away a truck load of drinking water. We also brought big bags of dog food that was a help.

It is tragic, but the towns people are resilient. It will take a while to achieve normalicy - leaving thursday, but will be back asap.
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 03:52 PM

Excellent!! I'm glad Luke made it!

It is amazing what can be done in just a few days.. We witnessed the instant rebuilding of Hwy 1 outside Guerrero Negro last week....

If that happened in California we would have had 3 years of kangaroo rat studies before a shovel full dirt could be put back from where it came.... I love Mexico!!

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.