Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  56    58    60  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 06:21 PM

"k....waiting patiently....this ought to be worth the wait!:yes: Hope Mike isn't too hungover! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 08:00 PM
Feb. 9, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo are once again 'on-the-road'!

They walked 13 miles from Lopez Mateos to a mile from 'Ramaditas'...

They should make it to the next Nomad's house in a week to 10 days... 'rob' at La Aguja.

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:16 PM

Pick it up @: 2-5-2011 @ 5:53 PM . . .

"David and clues", the night I made the "lights out" comment.

Sonia & I left for Loreto. In the mountains there was signal enough to ring the phone, but without comment (was dead).

Outside of Loreto,we got the call & we knew the morning's plan . At 5 we would return, day of the 6th.

2-5-2011 @6:47 PM

David . . .

Confirmation came & there were too many options to find him. Ask him, "the distraction by which, he missed his corner, his turn to Lopez?"

2-5-2011 @6:50 PM

Having missed his turn & walking on 9-10 Km, he elected to forge ahead.

2-6-2011 @ 10:49 AM

Mike is definately headed for Rancho la Aguja.

2-6-2011 6:22 PM

"the 6th was a magical day . . .
away mi computadora"

On that day we went from a drive to Insurgentes, the pick him up, return to Lopez, staging area, parade to the whale dock with speeches (you'd been proud of him . . . he genuinely finished with, "Viva Mexico!, and God bless America!", as he always does." The Super Bowl, meals offered, by the town. And Mike's Whiskey. (Mike, "I think", was rooting for the one". . ..)

Frustrated as you were, 2-6-2011 @ 11:17 PM

Mike will show intermittent trail marks and turns, down the road.

2-7-2011 @ 04:59 PM

Indeed, Lopez gave Mike a Key to the Pueblo. He did breakfast, whale watch,

BajaNomad 2-7-2011 @ 6:31 PM

We had another great evening, away from the internet.

2-7-2011 @ 6:54

"surfdoc, stand by . . . no disrespect, . . . & welcome"

2-9-2011 @ 1:03 PM

yes, kind of. See notes later.

2-9-2011 @ 1:03 PM

I'm really happy to hear from you. Thank you, for your patience.

2-9-2011 @ (no se, 8: AM

Fish Packing Plant tour on the 8th, Tuesday

(Started first with pancakes that Mike made, went on to) again, this tour of the plant. Much to say.

After that, a "State Dinner" with Lobster, Corvina, and "oven" & birds.

9 Feb, Wednesday

This morning, coffee & breakfast, packing and "off" . . . to a truely special event, on a dirt road leading out of town. We stopped by a school of 148 students. Much more later. Part of the ceremony, a young lady . . Rosario Parre Rivera, presented a speech she had preparred, through the microphone, in English. She & the other students had studied text in Spanish of early San Diego articles. They had become enamored . . . his walking the Baja to prove it safe. She expressed an invitation to all Americans. She too, wished to express the specialness of her village. Much more later.

Gabriel picked me up at Mike's turn to the right, along the concrete power poles, the Baja 1000 couse. Gabriels comment was, "follow the track markers. From the race".

I returned to Loreto on the Autobus. Snapped a shot @ the turnoff, I'd last left my friend. Tomorrow I've a day to relax and show pickures.

Meal @ Pickup

"Packin' @ Pickup"

Solo's 2nd ride in a vehicle. Would prefer'd to walk.

Staging Area

"I need some sleep".

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:40 PM

:lol:

I've seen that look on Solo a few times...
Like the first time we "hijacked" Mike... My 2 pups miss Solo.. they did welcome her into they're truck very nicely!

Standing by for the rest of the story!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:44 PM

Umm, thanks Jeff... maybe because it is late, but I am not understanding your post very well?? Sorry amigo!

Thanks for the photos... !

We see that on 2-7, he was sending signals out from the bay... maybe whale watching?

Anyway, I am sure the town treated him well... What an adventure!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:45 PM

Personal thoughts. This could go on awhile.

-if ever there was a man of the "right stuff" for this trip, it is he. The man that sings to the sky, songs with lyrics he's make up. Songs to Solo & Donk (my favorite name, a nickname Mike calls him), and the both of them. Same time, he could be a badger.

-he has endured obstacles. All of us, will need to wait for disclosures, in his book.

-rarely do any of us meet, a human so dedicated to his animals.

-Mike has his chit together.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:48 PM

David. Pull up two pages on your computer. Follow Nomad in order on the left page, scroll down the right page for answers based on date & time of post. It answers all comments in order. Tomorrow I'll fill in the "more later" stuff.

Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 11:49 PM

Very cool!

By-the-way, as of today, Mike's mileage total walking from Tecate is 885 miles!

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:11 AM

That's going to be a tough welcome to beat! Meeting with the local coyotes, our only neighbors at Rancho la Aguja, to plan something.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:14 AM

Rob, you have it made. No need to share Mike. Don't gotta plan nothing. Solo will handle the coyotes tambien.

Jeff Petersen
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:36 AM

"After that, a "State Dinner" with Lobster, Corvina, and "oven" & birds.

9 Feb, Wednesday

This morning, coffee & breakfast, packing and "off" . . . to a truely special event, on a dirt road leading out of town. We stopped by a school of 148 students. Much more later. Part of the ceremony, a young lady . . Rosario Parre Rivera, presented a speech she had preparred, through the microphone, in English. She & the other students had studied text in Spanish of early San Diego articles. They had become enamored . . . his walking the Baja to prove it safe. She expressed an invitation to all Americans. She too, wished to express the specialness of her village."

Oh my goodness - such influence and wonderful things that are coming from Mike's trip. I love this. Isn't that a special saddle on that horse? Probably done up especially for Mike's celebration?

Bajacalifornian, David K, Graham and others - I do think there should be some focused thought on plans for the end of the trip. I would like to be there (where?) if I can. Could a bunch of us walk the last mile with him? I like your other ideas too.
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:58 AM

Okay Nomad help me finish this one...:smug:

Inspired by a dream...
no one knows but he...
He of strong character and nomad instincts..
his companion, sure of foot and tight lipped...
his best friend, a stray that found his way...
an inspiration of sort...
Baja's modern-day cowboy...
......:light:

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaking76

Inspired by a dream...
no one knows but he...

I'm no good at these so I'll let others finish but I do have a mild request of you; please change your avitar. This is used by AmoPescar, a long time poster from back in the day when we would boot up our 'puters using 5" floppy discs in the A drive. That long ago.
Thanks
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaking76

Inspired by a dream...
no one knows but he...

I'm no good at these so I'll let others finish but I do have a mild request of you; please change your avitar. This is used by AmoPescar, a long time poster from back in the day when we would boot up our 'puters using 5" floppy discs in the A drive. That long ago.
Thanks

I was unaware that avatars where individuals sole proprietorship...whatever the case...it is done. :cool:

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 11:19 AM

oh I am soooooo very happy Mike got the recognition and dinners he deserves!!! Key to the city...hahaha...awesome! thanks so much bajacalifornian for hosting and organizing all those great things.

As I mentioned earlier, i wish nomads could organize a wonderful finish line fiesta in Cabo...love the idea of walking with him, rooms in a hotel together etc...lets start a new thread about this and get to work!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 01:13 PM

Shari, kindly thank me not for organization. All for Mike was by the people, and
for the people . . . of Lopez.

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by bajacalifornian]
woops, this is the wrong place . . .

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by bajacalifornian]

Jeff Petersen
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 01:25 PM

OK, how bout a code thread like "end of the line" he probably wont read that and we will all delete our posts in this thread about the surprise party!!! and thinking in stealth mode. someone he doesnt know should start the thread cause if I start it, he just might read it...step up to the plate amigos...let get to party planning 101.

Any pilots out there wanna swing by and pick juan & I up to go to the shindig?

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 04:27 PM

We can talk more about this special dog. Began as a dog with no name & a broken
lead . . . to a doll named Salsa.
Ended when she stepped all over his stuff while packing. Had to restrain her at the school, or she'd still be with Donk.

Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 07:42 PM
Feb. 10, 2011

Mike and the crew walked about 12 miles today and are camped a mile north of the Puerto San Carlos highway...

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:19 PM

Early Staging Area

The Parade

Please note: a neighbor building a new house nearly across the road from where Mike stayed, Alex Linke, was running around on his 4-wheeler catching images I couldn't get. Like the "band in the bed" of our truck. I'll pass his images on & others as time passes.

Assembly at the whale dock, after the parade.

Breaking Loose

from the parade. We were headed for the Super Bowl. Mike's bottle as well. He was parched, & had much to share.

Watching The Super Bowl

Mike, my wife Sonia and Solo.

A new girl shows up . . . head over heals in love with her new found brother Donk.

It Came To Be

Donk

Dialing It In

Pictures like this are important to the people. I've known Lauro & Amalia ten years now. People ask, "Are there restaurants there?" Yah. They prepared breakfast for Mike.

Sergio Garcia presented the VIP whale tour to Mike.

Mike shoving off with Sonia Petersen, Sergio on the right . . . headed back to the stand. Rodrigo, Sergio's son is the Captain of our tour. Note: Mike with his "spot devise" on his right arm.

Of course there were whales . . .

Gaby was also on the Island with his family.

Back At The Ranch

Provisions

Yes. Lopez has stores.

Gearing up for a tour of the fish packing plant. Left-Right: Martin has worked for the plant now 20 years and
his father before him, Security, Mike & Sonia.

No photos allowed.

From now on when I smell the "fish flower", I'll fill my lungs ad think of the heads, guts, and all non-consumable parts and pieces going into the ovens, mechanically brought through the grinder (size of a V.W.), then up to the hopper filling bags below with protein for pigs, cattle, & nutrients for flowers.

The State Dinner

L-R Carla, wife of Profe Angel, Mike & Sonia.

The appetizer, missed last night is Callos Media Luna.

Gunfight at the Governor's home.

Profe Angel left, and his suegro Profe Ofelio right.

Ofelio is Angel's father in law. Cowboys since birth. Have ranches. Star (Estrella), Angel's horse is in fowl. Colt is due 15 days from 2/6/2011. What a gorgeous animal it will be. (Oven behind).

Treasure, End of the Rainbow

Lobster, corvina and a drawn butter salsa on the side. Lobster is from the fish camp at San Lazaro.

Birds as promised. "Ask BigOly".

Packin'

Ready To Roll

Alfalfa is on the top.

The School

Mike & Maria Rosario Parrra Rivera.

Mike and "Viva Mexico!, & God bless America".

Good-byes from the school and on to the trail.

On To The Trail

From the Autobus

"A good friend is up this road . . . "

Jeff Petersen
 Pages:  1  ..  56    58    60  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.