Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:41 PM

This whole thing has become ridiculous.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:46 PM

great to see mike and company are still on the trek and doing well !!! he is so far from la bocana now and so much closer to la paz.....

HI MIKE. HI SOLO. HI DON KAY !!!

we are doing our share of traveling too since we have started our mainland monthlong trek !! when you are done with your trip, take a look at our blog .... our journey so far has been incredible - ferry to los mochis, colima, puerto vallarta, acapulco, puerto escondido, bahias de huatulco, oaxaca city and tomorrow we start off to CHIAPAS.

I think Mike, that you are an inspiration to all those kids along the way who see you walking !! maybe it makes them dream just a little bit about doing some exploring of their own.

hope Don Kays shoes are holding out .... bye from your amigos in la bocana.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:53 PM

The lesson from all this is that if you want to have a meaningful experience don't let the whole world know about it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:59 PM

Oh Man....those pics were fabulous...thank so much...I must admit my eyes misted over seeing him walking out of the school with all the kids around him. What a fantastic experience for him and the locals. I am thrilled they honoured him in the way they did...he must have been very touched. Excellent photo journalism...thanks again....MIKE>>>WE MISS YOU MAN.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
The lesson from all this is that if you want to have a meaningful experience don't let the whole world know about it.

I disagree Joe, if you want to make a contribution to the people of Baja, let the world know about it.

Show the world that a man a dog and a donkey can safely walk 1000 miles in Mexico and only find friendly faces, kindness and good times!

That is truly a meaningful experience.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 10:11 PM

thank you stickers...very eloquently put. I also disagree Skipjack...Mike has been blessed with an amazing amount of meaningful experiences in the last few months....more than most people ever have in a lifetime....hell... Mike IS a meaningful experience!!!!!!! :light:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 11:08 PM

You have your values, Shari. I have mine.

The whole thing has become a rollicking carnival.

I preferred it as a man vs nature experience. There is very little left of that. I no longer know what the point was. It's certainly not an adventure any longer.

Yes, they're all very 'sweet' and adorable and huggable.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 11:44 PM
wake up and dream!

I'm totally over the moon catching up with Mike and Friends' adventures. Even my friends who have never been to Baja are aware of the significance of his journey. They are asking me how he's doing whenever I see them.

What a great interchange of culture and what fun all the way 'round. I think by his presence in Baja he's stirred the hearts of so many people to dream deep... and awaken!

This is something special... oh, I think I got that meaning across already, but yeah, this is extraordinary.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:43 AM

Hi all the pictures and stories are great. MY contribution to this site has been to valuate as best as possible potential problems or issues I may see or hear regarding Don-Kay.

Whoever sees Mike next please tell him that Don-Kay's shoes need to be pulled, feet trimmed and re-shod. The toes are longer than the shoes and toes are starting to get too long for the shoes. In short order they will pull the nails through the outside of the hoof. Having him re-shod if this happens will be difficult for awhile. So best to get it done ASAP. Also the breast collar needs to be higher up on his chest. Pack saddle breast collar should be mid to mid high on the chest. It looks like it may have gotten too small from Don Kay losing some weight and MIke may need to have it made shorter or adapt a makeshift breast collar. I brought this up to another member via a u2u message when asked for some suggestions for Don Kay but never heard back. Just want to be helpfull!.

Thank You,

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by somomule]

Ken
SoMoMule.com
Southern Missouri Mule
Outfitter & Equine Supply
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 07:55 AM

Yes Igor, we all have different views from where we sit...what i was disagreeing with was the "meaningful experience" statement...and of course what is meaninful to one may not be meaningful to another. Mike is getting lots of man vs nature time in but sure enjoys his days of comradery when they present themselves....he is a very social fellow and brings joy and laughter wherever he goes.

I wonder if Mike will check mail in the city today...if so, he could probably get DK's nails trimmed and painted there...

caboguy

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 08:56 AM

I have been reading this from the beginning and really enjoyed it. It brings a smile to my face to see what something so simple means to the folks in the small towns he passes through. If there is anything negative about this, I sure don't see it. I am sure that this is turning out much different than Mike thought it would, but I am sure he has got enough time alone in the desert to last a lifetime. I for one am envious, I have been traveling south for 20 years and have to admit to taking the quickest route most of the time. Next time, it will be different, and probably because someone walked the walk.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 09:50 AM

love it, love it, love it. Love the pony and Mexican flag parade into town; the fish fry - the school childrens' bon voyage.

We gotta get going on the plans for Mike's "final mile" and party. Skipjack - you don't have to come - what a sourpuss I gotta say.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 11:27 AM

I think it has been a great experience for everyone. It may at times have taken on a carnaval kind of atmosphere but everyone has learned something and had fun doing it. People along the way were excited to be part of it. Much was said about the care for Don-Key and we learned a great deal. As many have said it is a lot better than reading about the criminal elements below the border. Not many among us would dare to try such a walk and yet here we are with him all the way on a day to day journey and the meetings of very fine people all the way down Baja.

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by TW]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

maybe the interaction with people along the way constitutes "meaningful experience." maybe not. depends on how you look at things.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 12:29 PM

well I for one have been following this from the time that Mike and Graham had been planning this, I think this is a great story. Mike was not asking for all the warm welcomes and hospitality from the people in Baja, it just happened ,Baja has had so much bad press, the people of Baja are proud of their country and want to share there story with others, VIVA MEXICO
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 01:56 PM

I'm just saying that the northern half of the journey was more in the spirit of what it was to be. It's morphed into something else now and is less interesting.

Sorry if you disagree about my viewpoint but I think you will agree that it's not what it had likely intended to be. And that's likely to do with the daily spot signals being sent. They were intended as a safety precaution and have resulted with baja's entire population lining their pathway. You may find this to be a positive unintended cosequence. I don't.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 02:51 PM

$500 a night, what a bargain. Cabo is so cheap.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somomule
Hi all the pictures and stories are great. MY contribution to this site has been to valuate as best as possible potential problems or issues I may see or hear regarding Don-Kay.

Whoever sees Mike next please tell him that Don-Kay's shoes need to be pulled, feet trimmed and re-shod. The toes are longer than the shoes and toes are starting to get too long for the shoes. In short order they will pull the nails through the outside of the hoof. Having him re-shod if this happens will be difficult for awhile. So best to get it done ASAP. Also the breast collar needs to be higher up on his chest. Pack saddle breast collar should be mid to mid high on the chest. It looks like it may have gotten too small from Don Kay losing some weight and MIke may need to have it made shorter or adapt a makeshift breast collar. I brought this up to another member via a u2u message when asked for some suggestions for Don Kay but never heard back. Just want to be helpfull!.

Thank You,

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 03:06 PM

Rob: Kindly collect daughter's contact number for me. This could be a U2U but leaving it for folks down south.

2) More on his daughter.
On the trail, Mike is unable to make arrangements for the daughter meeting him. He's hoping some how, some way . . . she will find assistance from the airport there. Rob @ La Aguje will be in position to learn her contact number and forward by U2U locals in the South.
Mike has asked her to sign up with BN, introduce herself & seek the same.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 03:49 PM

Cypress,

Mike is fully aware of the shoe needs. Only man in Lopez for the job was in the mountains. However, one nail was dressed that would occasionally scuff the contra lateral hoof/ankle. Has guidance for help ahead.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
 Pages:  1  ..  57    59    61  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.