Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9
Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
........uhhhhhhh, doesn't the Rubicon have Eaton e-lockers? No air there.

Inside the Dana 44s, Jeep has specified front and rear locking differentials built by Tochigi Fuji Sanjyo. i/i]

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 06:13 PM

Interesting. They come (of came) with both. My friend had the e-locker, all the info I have read described it as so. Your information is different from what I know, but it is accurate.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 07:12 PM

Jeep Rubicon TJ = Tochigi air lockers
Jeep Rubicon JK = Eaton e-lockers

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting. They come (of came) with both. My friend had the e-locker, all the info I have read described it as so. Your information is different from what I know, but it is accurate.

TJ = Air lockers, air lines, etc.
JK = Electric Lockers, no air lines, etc.

I would prefer Electric lockers.:yes:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
When I drove the 2WD Toyota pickup, the vehicle had very little torque, power, and I was very low to the ground - like an econo passenger car. People looked at me like, "Look what the trash brought in" - like the type of vehicle you drive when you are trying to get back on your feet.

The Rubicon has seat-of-your pants torque, but not a crazy top-end which is okay with me. It isn't the quietest vehicle - it is very loud, actually. But, when you are cruising with the top off, or open, it is a total blast. It feels like I'm 15 yrs old when I drive it which makes the occasional commute lots of fun.

I know people love Toyota trucks in this forum, and I respect their choices. I prefer a vehicle to be more capable on the 4WD trail, and less car-like, so I opted for the Jeep Rubicon. The drivetrain components are more practical for my needs - Dana 44s, Air Locked Differentials, Straight axle suspension, etc. If I needed a vehicle with a shorter step-in height, less off-road capability, more car-like ride, and better economy I would have opted for the Toyota.

Hello Ken???

Why are you even talking about a 2WD 4 cyl Toyota in this thread? You have ridden briefly in my truck on Shell Island... Are there any power or traction issues with it (4.0 liter V-6, 236 H.P., 4WD with rear locker and Active Traction Control)?

July, 2010 Memories revisited...

Going to help Art (edm-1):

Gone to look at some shells...

'Oh, what a feeling!' ;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 12:07 AM
don't judge a book by its cover

Quote:
When I drove the 2WD Toyota pickup, the vehicle had very little torque, power, and I was very low to the ground - like an econo passenger car. People looked at me like, "Look what the trash brought in" - like the type of vehicle you drive when you are trying to get back on your feet.

there you go again!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

there you go again!

Back in 2003 is when I made my decision to purchase a new 4WD vehicle. After driving the 2WD Toyota pickup, I concluded the entire line was nothing more than over-hyped. My ex-in-law who works as an auto dealer wanted to find me a great deal on a pre-owned Toyota 4wd pickup, but I told him I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. I made the right decision. Hanging out with the Baja Crawlers of Tijuana while 4 wheeling in Tecate, one of its' members bought a Toyota pickup, and eventually sold it and built up a flat-fendered Jeep CJ-7. A rock crawler.:yes:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 08:24 AM
car makes the man, in case of ken

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there you go again!

Back in 2003 is when I made my decision to purchase a new 4WD vehicle. After driving the 2WD Toyota pickup, I concluded the entire line was nothing more than over-hyped. My ex-in-law who works as an auto dealer wanted to find me a great deal on a pre-owned Toyota 4wd pickup, but I told him I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. I made the right decision. Hanging out with the Baja Crawlers of Tijuana while 4 wheeling in Tecate, one of its' members bought a Toyota pickup, and eventually sold it and built up a flat-fendered Jeep CJ-7. A rock crawler.:yes:

glad to hear you got back on your feet.
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there you go again!

Hey Ken, My Toyota pickup will out perform your jeep offroad any day of the week with my girlfriend driving. :yes:

I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. quote from Ken Cooke
what does that mean? I thought you were against driving off the dirt roads? You need a Beep on your jeep so when you back up we can all hear you.:lol:

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by TheBajaKid]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 03:33 PM

I have been in the 4x4 business long enough to know that 95% of any driving success is driver based.
Toyota vs Jeep vs LandRover vs Mercedes - mostly hot air.

Its very much like musical instruments - you may buy a Steinway grand piano, but your tunes will still sound crappy if you are a crappy player.

That's why I teach the art of 4-wheelin'. No equipment needed - just skill.
4x4 expert training

Harald Pietschmann
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 03:58 PM

100% hot air if you ask me, I always laugh at those type of discussions.
Very recently I was in a situation where the person in charge told us to "take the Toyota, because it is a Toyota and it is better" LMAO, in a huge way. That person demonstrated that he had enough money to buy a vehicle with a front end, but he knew nothing about 4wd. However, the type of vehicle and how it is set up can make a difference. No matter what I do, my full size Regular Cab Dodge truck will never go on sand like a small Toyota PU no matter who is driving it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
I have been in the 4x4 business long enough to know that 95% of any driving success is driver based.

Its very much like musical instruments - you may buy a Steinway grand piano, but your tunes will still sound crappy if you are a crappy player.

4x4 expert training
Harald, Are those G Wagons diesel or gas?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:

true.
but jeeps and land rovers have horrible quality issues, won't last 100K miles w/o several major mechanicals. toyotas and mercedes have better quality construction, are more reliable over long haul -- but toyota capital and maint costs are half that of mercedes.
once again, toyota wins!

:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Very recently I was in a situation where the person in charge told us to "take the Toyota, because it is a Toyota and it is better" LMAO, in a huge way. That person demonstrated that he had enough money to buy a vehicle with a front end, but he knew nothing about 4wd. However, the type of vehicle and how it is set up can make a difference. No matter what I do, my full size Regular Cab Dodge truck will never go on sand like a small Toyota PU no matter who is driving it.

I can show you how... but you will need to trust me on the air pressure thing... just like Art did with his mobile home on Shell Island!

From this...

to this...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:22 PM

Quote:

4x4 expert training

So true!!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Harald, Are those G Wagons diesel or gas?

are you referring to the ones we were using for our Baja Extreme Adventure?
3 G500 (gas), 1 300GDT (diesel)

more about the Mercedes G-Class:
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

I can show you how... but you will need to trust me on the air pressure thing... just like Art did with his mobile home on Shell Island!

From this...

to this...

Think I was born yesterday? Yes, I know all about tire pressure, and yes, I can easily go on level soft sand, I have many, many times. How well will Art go uphill in that thing, or in dunes, no matter what you do to the tire pressure? Any lightweight 4x4 with a similar tire pressures will run circles around it. Think that thing would make it to the very end of Cabo San Quintin?
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:30 PM

That's why I teach the art of 4-wheelin'. No equipment needed - just skill. quote from 4x4abc
Then why are you taking shovels, axes, chainsaws, pry bars, even moving rocks? Lol. they must be your paintbrush in your ''ART'' of 4-wheelin.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:41 PM
The Toyota's that I really like are the straight-axle ones

The Toyota '80s vintage pickup is very capable of abuse. We went out with Tom from Baja Crawlers and the rest of the Baja Crawlers club to Tecate for some rock crawling, and the pickup proved its merits.

Tecate, BCN

Tom standing next to his pickup! LOL

Me smiling next to Tom's pickup. We tried to pull it over with my winch, but no going. I tow strap pulled the pickup over and it was able to complete the day without issues.

Back on the trail, and having a good time! :bounce:

Nothing against the Toyota brand. If they had pickups similar to this one on the lot with an I6/V6 engine, locking differentials, 4:1, Dana 44/60 axles, A/C, manual shift, no Birfield joints, and a STRAIGHT LIVE AXLE FRONTEND, I would have strongly considered one.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:48 PM
Instead, I chose a Jeep product and I have been very pleased. I only had a few issues that were remedied. 120Kmi, and I'm driving the Jeep
daily at the moment with no issues.

My Rubicon dealing with a steep climb.

The other Rubicon out for the day did great.

ONLY IN BAJA!

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.