Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  58    60    62  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:27 PM

Jeff - will pass on all messages!

Going into town tomorrow to pick up a bale of alfalfa and Shari's suggestion of donkey speed - Cantador. We have a laundry, a bed and hot water (and whisky).

There is no local store here, so we could use some suggestions of what to get Mike in La Paz - any of you guys who have met him have any idea what he stocks up on?

One other question - round about next Thursday afternoon I plan to take a ride up to Punta Conejo to see if we can spot him (depends on his progress by DK's maps) - is it kosher to offer Mike and Don Kay a ride? Or is the whole point to do the journey strictly on foot? I have a trailer suitable for Don Kay.

Your thoughts please.

rob
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 05:52 PM

Walk with him but he'll accept no ride, unless it is in reverse.

Walk from your ranch, out as far as you care & wait for him.

[Edited on 2-12-2011 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
$500 a night, what a bargain. Cabo is so cheap.

That's pesos, right?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 07:30 PM
Feb. 11, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 12 miles today... and thanks to the SPOT tracker, I could see the route he has been taking. They are camped about 5 miles NE of Medano Amarillo.

Oh, and they are walking through desert and there are no crowds of people along the road cheering them... :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 12:40 AM

Skipjack,

Who is to say what the initial experience was to be. I'm sure Mike, and Graham before him, really didn't know exactly what to expect. I'll bet when it is all done and finished, he'll say it was all good, no matter what we were thinking it could or should be. The only negative feeling I have is jealousy. This man is experiencing more deeply personal sharing with people and creatures than we will ever know. For most of us, we can't even dream that big.

John
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

There is no local store here, so we could use some suggestions of what to get Mike in La Paz - any of you guys who have met him have any idea what he stocks up on?

He was tired of drinking warm water and burnt out on Crystal light and was happy with some Gatorade powder I gave him. Besides that, except for dry dog food for Solo and a couple of flakes of alfalfa, he didn't want to add anything else to his load.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Oh, and they are walking through desert and there are no crowds of people along the road cheering them... :rolleyes:

David and whomever it was called Skipjack a sourpuss....
Is it necessary to be sarcastic or call someone names just because he disagrees with you?
I find that to be in poor taste.

Not lookin' to start a fight, I'm just sayin'.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:54 AM

Reading comprehension problem, DK.
You are the one I referred to as being sarcastic.
And just because everyone does not agree with you,
no need to get your panties in a bunch.
You're with the majority on this one... take a long deep breath and relax.

nena

.....Oscar Wilde
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 02:58 PM

Maybe what Igor was trying to say, that everything was an adventure, enjoyed by most on the forum, till he got a little too close to the "attention grabbers".:P:P

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 06:00 PM

DK - If you wish to continue this conversation, start another thread. We can discuss it there. Or not.

nena

.....Oscar Wilde
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 06:35 PM
Feb. 12, 2011

Mike and company walked 13 miles today, but only about 4 where productive, in the right direction (south)!

Instead of following the Baja 1000 course (as they have since leaving Lopez Mateos), they turned northeast to San Agustin and a bit beyond, before turning back south. They are camped about 3 miles north of El Refugio tonight.

Perhaps they needed supplies for Don-Kay at San Agustin?

Here is the 2010 Baja 1000 map in the area...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 08:30 PM

For whatever it's worth DK, you're doing a wonderful job, which surely, by most forum participants, is highly appreciated.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 08:48 PM

1. Skipjack posts an opinion. He makes it clear it's his opinion.
2. "Someone" posts criticisms of his opinion and says he should withhold anything that is not positive.

and Skipjack is the one at fault? Of course David ** ***** ** **** ***** *** can't understand this perspective. If it's not in agreement with him, the other side must be wrong. THIS is why I have foregone contributing to this site. Next he will be claiming it's a left-wing conspiracy and Skipjack is a liberal, and he will show a bunch of photos of his toy truck and posting coordinates to all the spots Mike has been. And the groupies will cheer.

Skipjack, for what it's worth, I agree with you. You suggest SPOT is the cause. I would suggest that there are other contributing factors - like alcohol. I know this is superfluous, but hang in there.

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by Roberto]

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by Roberto]

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by BajaNomad]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 10:58 PM

So it's Saturday and what else is new ?

1. DK blasts someone who has a differing opinon than his own.
2. DK defends his position - he is never wrong.
3. DK deletes past offensive posts after some castigation.

Kinda like expecting your 2 year old to spill his water glass - it's destined.

I'm not sure what Mike had planned for his trip but I am sure that his plans have morphed into something unexpected and hopefully wonderful to him. After all, it is HIS trip; we just choose to be along for the ride.
Like an astronaut that visited my son's school recently, Mike has become a person of interest to some folks and kids in Baja; so be it.

Perhaps his book will enlighten us further, if and when ...
I'll probably wait until I can get it online for free.

BUT, I do appreciate the time DK has taken to post his maps and details.
Mike should pay DK some royalty for helping to make him famous !
After all, here we all are, checking on this thread, day after day.. :biggrin:

Just a little "Reality by Diver" :lol: :lol: :lol: Carry on !!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 12:20 AM

I don't know what I can say that I haven't already said.

You are intelligent enough David, to know perfectly well what I am saying and trying to get across.

You feel that this thread is threatened unless each post is a high five. I disagree with you on that as well.

Nobody is dissing Mike. How could I when the situation is out of his control. He's become a celebrity down there. And that notoriety has destroyed the essence of the journey.

When a man decides to cross 1000 miles of desert on foot with nothing but what he can carry it tells you a great deal about what he's after.

I don't want to remove my posts because they are a valid outlook on the journey. Even if you don't agree with them.

At first I thought, what a great idea. With the aid of the internet we can share every campsite and coffee break with Mike. See what he sees and almost know his thought every moment of the day. But now I see that the net is actually interfering with his life.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 01:13 AM

*A BAND OF KIDS*

Briefly, a war silenced,
And hope was heard.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:19 AM

Thanks Jeff and thanks Igor... Igor, nothing personal (like your friends are trying to make of it)... I was just hoping you might see the positive side of the villagers in Lopez Mateos wanting to celebrate the 'fearless' American walking for 4 months... in a desert place. Have a great day!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
The lesson from all this is that if you want to have a meaningful experience don't let the whole world know about it.

I disagree Joe, if you want to make a contribution to the people of Baja, let the world know about it.

Show the world that a man a dog and a donkey can safely walk 1000 miles in Mexico and only find friendly faces, kindness and good times!

That is truly a meaningful experience.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 09:49 AM

I just went back and looked at the very first photos of Mike. He has trimmed down quite a bit. Amazing! Whatg a journey and lifetime experience for him.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 01:45 PM

It's all good----------no matter the "jury's" interpretation and speculation.

Very fun to share ALL of Mike's experiences, thanks to David and others. Looking forward to more------------

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  58    60    62  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.