Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  61    63    65  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:33 AM

Who's going or who wants to go to Cabo to celebrate with Mike?
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:45 AM

This would be a perfect time to take advantage of the Alaska Airlines deals....Go see Mike in Cabo....:smug:

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
David K... you mentioned that you look forward to meeting Mike when he returns to El Cajon. Is there a special occasion planned for when he gets back to the US for those of us who cannot meet him in Cabo?

What a trip!

Not yet... When Mike called me from Shari's he asked that we meet, have dinner, etc. I will turn over the maps I have been highlighting of his route and the mileage estimates for each day.

Maybe a bigger event is an idea? I got a nice little u2u from Mike last night...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Who's going or who wants to go to Cabo to celebrate with Mike?

I do!
Assuming my sled dog team can mush through this snow that's supposed to hit California all the way to the ocean, I plan to drive the lower coastal route south to the border and down into Beloved Baja very soon.
In addition to hooking up with Shari and her pajama-wearing booty-calling whales, I'd love to join with friends to greet Mike & Company as they finish their journey of a lifetime, perhaps walk the last few miles with them.
Come on, Ever'body, let's just do this!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 09:26 AM

Mike, Linda and I spent the day shopping in La Paz yesterday - the smoked tuna taco at Tacos La Paz seemed to agree with Mike . . . then to Chedraui and Wallyworld and home to what I hope is not the last homely house on his trip.

Last night we investigated the $10 bottle of Scotch he found at Gayocla - not bad at all!

Today we will discuss his route to Todos and figure out the length of this leg of the journey. Will post later, together with pictures of Sr Younghusband post-haircut.

Don Kay is eating buffel grass and alfalfa (surrounded by admiring rancheros) and Solo is snarfing all the croquettas she can find and teaching the pups how to treat a lady - usually with teeth. But that's how guys learn.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
David K... you mentioned that you look forward to meeting Mike when he returns to El Cajon. Is there a special occasion planned for when he gets back to the US for those of us who cannot meet him in Cabo?

What a trip!

Not yet... When Mike called me from Shari's he asked that we meet, have dinner, etc. I will turn over the maps I have been highlighting of his route and the mileage estimates for each day.

Maybe a bigger event is an idea? I got a nice little u2u from Mike last night...

Mike indicated to me a desire to have an event in San Diego after he returns. However, it's difficult to plan something if we are unsure of the date he might actually return to San Diego; have pictures prepared; etc.

So, I'd imagine this would be something that's thought about - and planned for - more after he's arrived in Cabo (and/or even San Diego).

:biggrin:

-
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 11:04 AM

Mike and I were just planning his trip to Todos Santos - he plans to leave tomorrow and calculates it will take between 5 and 7 days - that would make arrival in TS somewhere between next Monday and Wed (Mar 1-3).

Surfdoc, Mike would really like to take you up on your offer, but needs better directions to your Pastora place (TODAY IF POSSIBLE!!), failing which you would need to intercept him by following SPOT.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 12:17 PM

Looks like Mike will cross the finish line at the Cabo Police Station based on arrival time of two daughters & one grand-daughter in Cabo to greet him. Working date is presently Saturday, March 19 for reception at the Station (daughters tentatively arriving the 18th).

Along with a horse trailer, negotiations are underway with quality
hotels offering discounted rates & more, for those wishing to be present.

Presently, Mike, daughters, myself, Mulegena & Shari are on the short list for rooms.

Kindly U2U within 7 days should you choose to stay along with this developing group. No info yet of exact hotel or pricing, but expect it to be hard to beat. Can more closely dial it in with an accurate count.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 01:25 PM

This is so wonderful you guys! Now, this is the wealth of being Baja Nomads! It can be fun and festive to help others or just do nice things. :light::cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Surfdoc, Mike would really like to take you up on your offer, but needs better directions to your Pastora place (TODAY IF POSSIBLE!!), failing which you would need to intercept him by following SPOT.

Sent ya a U2U.... may not be able to swing a run this soon. Mikes moving faster then I anticipated.
Here's a link to my place.. best I can do is google earth.. but it'll show whereit is.
At the minimum my buddy Adam is staying at the house directly in front of me, and has better accomidations.
I'll know more tonight...
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461...

[Edited on 2-24-2011 by surfdoc]

[Edited on 2-25-2011 by BajaNomad]
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 04:17 PM

I don't think the link works... sorry will try later..
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Sent ya a U2U.... may not be able to swing a run this soon. Mikes moving faster then I anticipated.
Here's a link to my place.. best I can do is google earth.. but it'll show whereit is.
At the minimum my buddy Adam is staying at the house directly in front of me, and has better accomidations.
<http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461&spn=0.000816,0.002631&t=h&z=19>

Stan's Link
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
Quote:
Originally posted by rob

<http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461&spn=0.000816,0.002631&t=h&z=19>

Here are those GPS waypoints on Google Earth (Flag marks the spot):

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 05:40 PM
Leaving day later

Despite all efforts to provide the cold and austere "adventurer type" welcome demanded by Skipjack Joe, Mike has decided to stay another day! I am just off to switch off the power and hot water to his room . . .

He now plans to leave Sat AM, with an ETA in Todos Santos of Wed/Thur next week (2/3 Mar). Plans for south of Todos are still somewhat unclear - any help on the route would be welcome. The thought of having to hike down that TS-Cabo highway is not particularly attractive, what with that high-speed traffic, road work etc etc.

Thanks for the link BillP - works fine.

rob

ROUTE.jpg - 33kB
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 05:56 PM

Rob, I believe if he gets south of San Pedrito he can go all the way to Cabo on the beach with just a few short detours inland around headlands like Los Cerritos point.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:10 PM

Either the beach or inland... so he has ranchos for water and burro food.

Mike, don't forget to activate your tracker each day so we can see what route you are on.

Almost there! 1,100+ miles on foot!!!:o

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:34 PM

It will be a lot longer if he goes inland with lots of changes in elevation. I'd be happy to ferry supplies if he needs anything.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:54 PM

does mike have a place in todos santos to stay ????

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 09:07 PM

I'm out for running south..However my place is a safe camp spot for mike, and available...
Trying to contact mi amigo Adam who is at the \case directly infront of me to see if he'll still be there..

But for sure if Mike wants he can stay under or on the deck at the Ranchita.

THANK YOU for cleaning up my link attempt!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 06:57 AM

Amigos, I'll try to run up to Las Playitas today or tomorrow and see who is around. La Pastora is a great beach and meeting place for the Surfing Tribes. Good overnite if SurfDoc can't connect. Pesky Boyz, let's get together for a discussion of possible routes. Mono, Dorado Don, etc. David K, does the interior road south of Todos Santos connect from El Aguaje and San Pedro de la Soledad south to La Candelaria and then into Cabo?? Pre Run in our trucks can be done! Vamanos, muchachos. Tio
 Pages:  1  ..  61    63    65  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.