BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11
Author: Subject: Carlos Fiesta's Plane en route from Mexico crashes in Newport Beach, CA!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:02 PM

"Ya Basta".......... It's a New York cab driver epithet. Some pronounce it, "Ya Bastahd." :lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Diane

I thought "ya basta" meant the equivalent of "enough, already". But that would have been a pretty appropriate remark from Sidamone at that point in the thread, yet way out of context with his other posts. So I have no idea what he meant by that.

That is how I translate it----enough, but I guess I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was basically saying he understood and he was done, enough. Then again, considering his previous posts, he may not have deserved the benefit of the doubt.

It was not you, but I was not sure if someone else was translating it the same way ----I thought they might be translating it a little more like Dennis.

And Dennis, I love that translation and it sure wants to read that way. :-)

When the final report is in, I do hope it helps others who like to fly and I see nothing disrespectful in you pilots discussing it, except as you said before, he was WAY out of line.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by DianaT]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 07:19 AM

"We've already heard from, Captain Mike that it's damned inconvenient to lose all that gained altitude and come down, copy the ATIS, enter the traffic pattern, land and taxi to the fuel dock and all that boring stuff, to get gas. "most hate to do a let down not planned" but you can only stretch it so far"

Perhaps i should have said "some" and not "most" -

hey Sid - yes and i meant that FOR SOME it is a thought process and inconvenient FOR THEM. I frankly don't fly that way and have a VFR personal minimum of 1 hour, or double the part 91 rule.
once i hit an hour left [time/speed/distance] , and if not in the pattern i am looking for my alternate, and likely well beforehand. I DO NOT promote caving to inconvenience or stretching ones luck in the environment of the skies, especially with 3rd parties - contrued as ANY passenger.

Today is Chuck's remembrance both at Torrance and SJ.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 07:39 AM

Services link from Daily Breeze

http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestnews/ci_16718380
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:56 AM
Saturday Update...

My wife and I went by Carlos’s Fiesta’s house late yesterday afternoon to pick up Chuck’s widow, Leslie to go view Sean Kelly body..one of the friends’ killed last Sunday. Sean was sitting co-pilot, Russ Urban in the back seat. She originally said that she wanted to go, but on a text while we were heading to pick her up, she said that she would go later. My wife told me that there is no later and we ignored the text message and went to pick her up. When we got there, her daughter Tracy and close family friend, Todd Mirsky, where there talking. We walked in and she was surprised to see us. She said, “Oh Carole, I’ll go later”. My wife (Carole) said, “Leslie there is no later”. It was 5:00 pm and the viewing for Sean was over at 6:00 pm.
She changed her clothes and was ready to go in 10 minutes…a trait Carlos Fiesta loved. Not too much “primping” for this lady. She is so naturally beautiful inside and out. We were off. As we got in the car, she remarked that it was the first time that she had been out since Sunday. It felt good. The ocean breeze was cold, but it did feel good for sure.
We arrived at the viewing and Leslie said “this is going to be tough to do”. We walked in and you could immediately feel the love of Sean’s family…even if it was a Mortuary. It took a few minutes for Leslie to find Sean’s Widow, Laura, as there were so many of Sean’s Family and Friends. I later found out from Sean’s parents( who flew in from Florida), that he was number Six child of Eight children. Sean was 44 years old. His Mom is a “pistol” and his Dad is a solid, stand-up guy for sure. With eight offspring,you’d have to be. Sean’s Mom said he died doing what he loved to do. The place was packed.
Once Leslie found Laura, the two hugged and cried for a long time. A tragedy shared together that only each of them could comprehend. As they hugged, I walked up to view Sean. He looked good. Peaceful and content. You could tell he was already in a better place. I had heard that the bodies were muddy from the crash, but had survived without damage. All three, Sean, Russ and Chuck were organ donors and that has helped with the grief.
We left, after about an hour. Leslie told me on the way back that viewing Sean’s body helped her realize that Carlos was not playing another one of his jokes…it was real. She also said that during her embrace with Laura that Laura told her there their lives..as they knew it, would never be the same. They needed to close this chapter in their lives and start a new one. Leslie found hope with that coming from Laura and said how strong this woman is . The visit helped Leslie so much. We stopped at Von’s for some supplies and headed back to Carlos/Leslie’s place for dinner.
When we got there, the other passenger Russ Urban…his sister and brother had come by the house. Russ’ brother had flown down from Portland with his son and wife. They were so welcomed by the crowd that had gathered for the traditional “Friday Night Sunset c-cktail” at Carlos and Leslie’s place that overlooks Malaga Cove Beach. Russ’s widow Judy is still so devastated, that she has been grieving privately with family and friends. Many of Russ’s students who were students at Cornerstone School where he taught before retiring two years ago (they are now 22 years old!) were there as well. The School is planning a Celebration in his honor.
So here we are, a day before Carlos’s memorial. We’re all running around getting logistics/details pulled together. A bunch of friends and family are going to show up on the beach, in what will seem like the middle of winter tomorrow at 3:00 pm. We need to do this…there is no later.

Photo of Carlos and his wife Leslie, was taken at the Beach where the service is planned.

P1120439X.JPG - 46kB
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 09:11 AM

thank you Juan for reminding us that there is no later...and for being you and organizing so much and being there for the family while you yourself are greiving...know that many of us who are not there in body are with you all in spirit and will raise a toast to these three fine men.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 10:54 AM

Juan, while I didn't have the opportunity to know Chuck, for some mysterious reason, I grieve as though I did...

Your updates on the family and how they are holding up is much appreciated...

So sad that it appears all three survived the crash, but ended up drowning... and as has been suggested... as mortals attempting to rationalize this seemingly senseless loss of life... for me is next to impossible to get my feeble brain around...

I honor Chuck and his lust for life... but grieve heavily for his family and friends...

Please let his wife and family know that many Nomads while celebrating his life, grieve with his family and will sorely miss his presence in our world.

Linda

Linda
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 09:57 AM

Friendly reminder...

Memorial today; 3pm; Torrance Beach in front of Surfside Grill.

Also in SJ today at approx same time.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Friendly reminder...

Memorial today; 3pm; Torrance Beach in front of Surfside Grill.

Also in SJ today at approx same time.

See you there Doug...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 06:41 PM

I just returned from a week in LA Bay yesterday, and like many others here I'm shocked.

I first met Carlos and Russ last fall. Albeit strangers at the time, Carlos and I had something in common; We had both taken over large projects from Marv Sherrill. Carlos had just released his first edition of the Baja Calendar, and I was running the Las Animas trip with my Dana Hills High School Marine Ecology students. Carlos had graciously agreed to continue a long-standing relationship with Dana Hills and the Baja Calendar by allowing my students to sell his calendar as a fundraiser to offset the cost of their trip to Las Animas.
Carlos delivered the calendars to my home on his way down to Baja just about this time last year. He, along with Russ, were on their way down to bring supplies to people in need. Russ and Carlos were hilarious, and Russ (a retired teacher) took to my wife and I (both teachers) to team up on Carlos in some friendly banter. After several good jab on Russ' part, we gathered a couple of bags of childrens clothes and shoes and gave them to Russ and Carlos to bring down on thei journey.
My students ended up selling well over a hundred of his calendars last year, and Carlos (true to his word) donated those funds so that they too could experience the place that he grew to love so dearly.
I am deeply saddened to hear about both Carlos, but I'm uplifted to see how many lives he positively impacted through his positive attitude, generosity, and genuine Baja spirit.
Carlos, you will be greatly missed...
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 09:45 PM

just got back from dinner at jardinis and turned on the computer - Wow - I could not believe what I was reading! Carlos was a great guy, and I appreciated reading all the wonderful comments from the nomads. I had just emailed him before we left last Sunday, it's hard to believe he is gone. His spirit of adventure will live on in all of us -
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 10:00 PM

We attended the memorial this afternoon... words cannot describe the wonderful affect Carlos Fiesta had on everyone he came in contact with through his years on the earth. There were hundreds of people on the beach at sundown when the service ended... A multiple flyover by vintage aircraft doing the missing man formation set the experince of importance this man had over those who attended today.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There were hundreds of people on the beach at sundown when the service ended... A multiple flyover by vintage aircraft doing the missing man formation set the experince of importance this man had over those who attended today.

The recurring theme by everyone: Carlos' positive influence on all those around him - each and every day.

Here's a video showing the crowd and the missing man formation flyover:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 01:42 AM

Flyover.....

flyover-no1.jpg - 30kB

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 01:46 AM

Lots of people out.... clear, sunny, but cold.

lots-of-people2.jpg - 50kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 09:26 AM

Thank you Doug... that video came out great and the photos, too. Carlos will be missed by so many...

The last photo (I think) of all of us together was taken by Baja Angel with Juan del Rio's camera, at Mexico Expo in Feb., 2006... Thanks to Doug for finding it...

L to R: David K (VivaBaja.com), Dick Van Bree (BajaLinks.com), Carlos Fiesta (BajaExpo.com), BajaNomad (Doug of this site), Juan del Rio (JuanYJuan.com).

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by David K]

P1010835X.JPG - 40kB

taxcutter
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dry

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 11:39 AM

Like everyone, I was shocked and bummed out on the news.
If you ever met Carlos Fiesta, then you know. Carlos was super cool dude.

I figured at least 200 - 300 people showed up at the end of Torrance Beach.
The memorial/celebration was impressive.
The music was really good and the group was very silent during the fly by.
Juan Rellos story had the crowd laughing. Break out the bull horn!
I think it was the children/kids stories that pull on one's heart.
I was impressed with Juan del Rio.
At one point, some kid down the beach was flying his kite.
But the kid's kite was making noise and distracting the celebration.
Juan went right over to the kid and the kid moved down the beach.
On top of that, it just seemed Juan was the man keeping the show goin'.
Carlos' wife, Leslie is a strong woman and my heart goes out to her.

I brought my board and wetsuit and was ready for a paddle out.
Hey Carlos was a surfer, too.
They set up a long board and mini palapa with chair next to the waves.
I stashed my board next to the chair.
After the Remembrances, with no paddle out, I went back to the palapa.
I broke out a little tequila.
One shot for me, one shot for Carlos.
I downed a beer and left Carlos one beer for later.

I only met Carlos a couple of times.
But I would hear on the Cactus telegraph when Carlos would be in town or Baja. I lucky to have these memories of Carlos.

One of Carlos' mottos for life,
"Don't be sad about what you don't have, be grateful for what you do have...
That's the Fiesta Formula!"

Right on!, Carlos.
Let me know when the paddle out is, because I will be there.
M
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 12:54 PM
To Sean Kelly, Russ Urban and Carlos Fiesta:

Go fly with the Angels.

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by Juan del Rio]

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by BajaNomad]

Juan2.jpg - 46kB
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 12:57 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Visos con Dios mi Amigo.

..adding Juan's pic...

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by Juan del Rio]

carlos-fiesta-memorial-palapa-torrancebeach.jpg - 49kB
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 01:34 PM

Thanks to all who have contributed to updating us on the Torrence Memorial service...

and as Marv said... "His spirit of adventure will live on in all of us" as will his memory...

Juan... there is no doubt in my mind he is now "flying with angels".

With deep sadness,

Linda

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by schwlind]

Linda
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.