Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9
Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:52 PM

Nice pics. you could have done a SAS on new Tacoma:P
I hear you on the driving off the lot in a more capable rig, but once you put on aftermarket parts for performance its not a rig you drove off the lot.
Nice rigs

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by TheBajaKid]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
Nice pics. you could have done a SAS on new Tacoma:P
I hear you on the driving off the lot in a more capable rig, but once you put on aftermarket parts for performance its not a rig you drove off the lot.

In 2003, I just didn't have the money. I had the ability to 'sign' for a vehicle, but there was very little buildup cash on-hand. I sold the Forged 16x8" Tomb Raider-edition Alcoas to a guy in Canada and the 31" tires to aid in the buildup (along with my Ford Ranger 4x4 truck). An SAS would have set me back an easy $4K - with cheap leaf springs. King coilovers and a 4 link? Way out of my budget.

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:04 PM

Mine too but i like to dream. 4links are fancy!
I wont give up the ride of my ifs on my 04
so i got a 80' all Marlin Crawlered out!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Mine too but i like to dream. 4links are fancy!
I wont give up the ride of my ifs on my 04
so i got a 80' all Marlin Crawlered out!

I drove a Ford Ranger with a TTB frontend, and no matter how much I tried to extend the wheel travel, it could not compete with a Jeep on the trail. I was running Jeep CJ swaybar disconnects, it chewed through RS9000 shock bushings daily, it had a nice Rancho 2.5" lift, 33s, 4.56 gearing, 2" body lift, but the thing just could not handle what I threw at it. The Rubicon does perfectly under all circumstances. It is a solid platform that after 7 years, I am completely amazed with.

My wife now caught the 'wheeling bug, and we're going up in the snow on Sunday and she can't wait for the Baja Grande event in April. Camping, music, food, drink, and Baja!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:51 PM

Nice morning photo of your camp on Shell Island, Ken!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:54 AM

Great "off-road" photo essay Ken. That is what I was hoping for from the original post. Man and Beast overcoming obstacles.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:06 AM

all I see is man and machine driving poorly
tearing up the ground is not treading lightly

The Jeep Rubicon has 2 lockers - if not used properly, tires will spin and dig holes:

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 2-19-2011 at 09:41 AM
Big Difference when you look at the competition

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
all I see is man and machine driving poorly
tearing up the ground is not treading lightly

The Jeep Rubicon has 2 lockers - if not used properly, tires will spin and dig holes:

When you look at the vehicles with larger tires traveling over the same loose route, you can see that the Rubicons actually tackling the terrain much more smoothly...

It was a great day on the trail! :bounce:

Ducks

Mood: Bipolar with a hint of ADD

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:09 AM

I'm a n00b here. How do I unsubscribe to this ridiculous thread? I really appreciate Harald's comments but I pretty much can't stand the rest.

Cheers,
Chad

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks
I'm a n00b here. How do I unsubscribe to this ridiculous thread? I really appreciate Harald's comments but I pretty much can't stand the rest.

Cheers,
Chad

Chad - These are all valid points being raised about trail usage from a uniquely Baja perspective!

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:45 AM

Im with Ken

Hey Chad if you dont like it dont read it. Or you can always unsubscribe yourself
from Baja nomad, after all you cant stand anyone but Harald.
and 4x4abc I doubt you could make kens climb look any easier and not spin a tire
Ducks

Mood: Bipolar with a hint of ADD

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:59 AM

WOW. You guys take the cake. I am interested in Baja not who has the bigger junk. I was interested in Harald's off-road expeditions but that is not what this thread is about any more. If you don't know how to unsubscribe to a thread, then why do you attack me? Are you so insecure? Is the forum software so outdated that you can't unsubscribe? I keep getting email in my inbox about this thread and this thread is not about Baja but about who has the bigger junk. Why don't you start a thread in Chat instead of wasting people's time here?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

My Rubicon dealing with a steep climb.

The other Rubicon out for the day did great.

ONLY IN BAJA!

this is not treading lightly, it is total disrespect for environment. this is classic example of why off road knuckle draggers are irresponsible and should be stopped at all costs.
a bunch of people standing around while watching people repeatedly drive over obstacles and tear up the ground.
do it on your own private land - don't do it on public lands.

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by mtgoat666]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
The Toyota '80s vintage pickup is very capable of abuse. We went out with Tom from Baja Crawlers and the rest of the Baja Crawlers club to Tecate for some rock crawling, and the pickup proved its merits.

Tecate, BCN

Tom standing next to his pickup! LOL

Me smiling next to Tom's pickup. We tried to pull it over with my winch, but no going. I tow strap pulled the pickup over and it was able to complete the day without issues.

Back on the trail, and having a good time! :bounce:

Nothing against the Toyota brand. If they had pickups similar to this one on the lot with an I6/V6 engine, locking differentials, 4:1, Dana 44/60 axles, A/C, manual shift, no Birfield joints, and a STRAIGHT LIVE AXLE FRONTEND, I would have strongly considered one.

why are you posting pics of marooons driving off the adjacent roads?
this is classic example of why all off roading should be banned from public lands.
marooons that use their cars to leave paths solely for purpose of doing stupid tricks with their cars with no regard for damage to land.
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 01:22 PM
Im comming down

hey goat i bet you dont call me a knuckle dragger or a marooon to my face

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by TheBajaKid]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 01:31 PM

"There you go again", Goat-------stuck in elitist selfish-opinion mode condeming others.

What's with that? :?:

Barry
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Im with Ken

Hey Chad if you dont like it dont read it. Or you can always unsubscribe yourself
from Baja nomad, after all you cant stand anyone but Harald.
and 4x4abc I doubt you could make kens climb look any easier and not spin a tire

I know I can make it look easier and I can make it look elegant.

At least most who have seen me drive think that way:
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6571044/miscellaneous/meet-hara...

"Harald does have zen-like driving skills. He has mastered the "slow as possible" part to a degree I have never seen in the field. " - Scott Brady on ExpeditionPortal forum.

Its my job to make mission impossible - well, possible. So I know how to reduce stress on the vehicle and hurt Mother Nature.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 02:44 PM

I am totally with Mr. or Mrs. Goat - ask around and everybody is for treading lightly, few have a clue what that actually is.

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 02:55 PM

Judging by those pictures posted by Ken, I just don't see any "mass resource destruction" that is any worse than a herd of goats passing thru. The land will recover, and it is not in a National Park.

Yes, TREAD LIGHTLY is very a important concept, and the majority of folks believe in it, and understand it, I know, but taking it too far---to extremes--- simply detracts from the purpose of the slogan, and tends to anger people, at least it does to me. Lets be reasonable about this, and I am betting we will achieve much better results, it seems to me. We all see things somewhat differently.

Barry
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 03:01 PM

Barry,

you see TreadLightly like many see the 10 commandments - as a recommendation. Nothing wrong with a little cheating here and there.

TreadLightly yes, but what's a little destruction every now and then?

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.