BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  
Author: Subject: U.S. Dept of State announces it will issue 'Level 4: Do Not Travel' advisories for 80% of countries in the coming...
ch47pilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 07:05 AM

phmilo I totally agree, I wish we could enjoy Baja related issues without resorting to US and Canadian politics having nothing to do with Baja.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 08:36 AM

Hi All,

On the subject. We crossed SB Mexicali West last night and had to stop and renew our visas. If anyone in either government is doing anything to determine your reason for crossing the border it’s impossible to tell. It took 5 min to get new visas and we got a green light. The US had a bunch of agents watching SB crossers but I didn't see them stop anyone.

As “the map is not the territory”! The news hype is not the situation on the ground!

One interesting point the mass vaccination in Mexicali visible the last few weeks is still ongoing with a very long line of cars waiting their turn! Not much “news” about that!

The army checkpoint north of SF was open and doing minimal checks!

Road report:

Traffic light, new paving in progress but no delays. Gas $18.98/l to $19.98/ peso = 19/1 dollar.

More soon!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:29 AM

thread ownership....."think about that."
speaks volumes

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by pacificobob]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
As a newish member I'll say the signal/noise ratio here is pretty bad. I'm part of several online communities and they all have their issues, but the tenor of this place makes me reluctant to jump in a lot.

I've had conversations and arguments, political and philosophical with a wide range of characters online ranging back to the days of usenet. This is hardly the worst, but it's well below the median.

I'm working on a couple of baja projects and would love to have some more experienced knowledge to pull from. There really isn't much good out there. I think the knowledge is here, it would be nice if you could get to it without a filter.

Start some Baja related threads. You'll get plenty of helpful info and a kind reception.

I agree that an honest Baja-related question will more often than not get several informative answers, particularly if the subject matter is narrow enough to discourage off-topic detours. Building materials, off-road trails and maps tend to get spared the partisan sidetracks that frankly discourage many from posting. Travel-related posts like this one quickly degenerate into sniping from well entrenched positions that may or may not have any basis in fact beyond the original post.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ch47pilot  
phmilo I totally agree, I wish we could enjoy Baja related issues without resorting to US and Canadian politics having nothing to do with Baja.

The original post was about Covid global travel restrictions.... not just the Baja.

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

The original post was about Covid global travel restrictions.... not just the Baja.

Many countries handled covid w/o making it a political issue. From day 1 in USA, Trump and gop made covid a political wedge issue.
Thank god for saner people like fauci, cdc, nih, and drug company labs -they got the job done despite sabotage efforts from the right wingnuts.
Anywho, that’s why covid threads are contentious and snowflakes should stick to reading the pablum in the threads on mission history, border driving directions, drone video travelogues and and flan recipes.

Does anybody have a good flan recipe? How about a tapioca recipe for the snowflakes?

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 10:06 PM

A lesson in Spanish :light:

That's useful info for Baja aficionados :biggrin:

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 10:18 PM

are you picturing goat thumbing through his tiny tattered mexico translation book! :lol:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 12:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
A lesson in Spanish :light:

That's useful info for Baja aficionados :biggrin:

Get serious. In spite of this site being about part of Mexico, my impression is that most folks here couldn't give a flying fugada moon about learning the native language of this land.

Their loss: My personal experience has been that language is the most determinant factor on how one experiences the local environment. Oh, well.

I was being serious... I learned a bit more Spanish.

I had to thumb through my tattered Google Translate.

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by motoged]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 06:40 AM

i would be willing to wager the vast majority of baja enthusiasts here couldn't conjugate a Spanish verb with a gun to their head.
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Many countries handled covid w/o making it a political issue. From day 1 in USA, Trump and gop made covid a political wedge issue.
Thank god for saner people like fauci, cdc, nih, and drug company labs -they got the job done despite sabotage efforts from the right wingnuts.
Anywho, that’s why covid threads are contentious and snowflakes should stick to reading the pablum in the threads on mission history, border driving directions, drone video travelogues and and flan recipes.

Does anybody have a good flan recipe? How about a tapioca recipe for the snowflakes?

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by mtgoat666]

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0...

$0.35 for a used paperback copy. I'd be happy to send one your way if you provide an address.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i would be willing to wager the vast majority of baja enthusiasts here couldn't conjugate a Spanish verb with a gun to their head.

I agree that many visitors to Baja seek out English-friendly restaurants, shops, etc., but I find that very limiting. One of the most rewarding experiences when I visit Baja is to go off the beaten track (within reason) and stick to Spanish. For this reason we try to rent lodging with functional kitchens and cook most of our own meals, forcing us to shop for produce, meats, fish, etc. I have found that most locals are very patient and that they appreciate the effort, even if it's a combination of intermediate-level Spanish and pantomime.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 09:40 AM

I am one of those.... building my vocabulary poco a poco. When engaging in a conversation beyond the simplest of matters, my line is "Si hablo un poco de español pero sin verbos...".

This usually elicits a smile of acknowledgement and their patience. And I am one of those who prefers to avoid gringo enclaves whenever possible... mainly because I get my fill of that at home.....and go to Baja to experience and enjoy its culture and people.

So much to learn from them.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 10:08 AM

I am one of those.... building my vocabulary poco a poco. When engaging in a conversation beyond the simplest of matters, my line is "Si hablo un poco de español pero sin verbos...".

This usually elicits a smile of acknowledgement and their patience. And I am one of those who prefers to avoid gringo enclaves whenever possible... mainly because I get my fill of that at home.....and go to Baja to experience and enjoy its culture and people.

My Spanish is pretty good but I have made some very funny mistakes. While in a 2 year negotiation to buy a property from 9 sisters and brothers I mistakenly told them I didn't want to crap on their moms bed by confusing miedo with merda and cama with recama. The whole family went silent. I, like the typical Gringo kept blathering on. Later outside my wonderful wife informed me of my mistake. At out next meeting we all had a great laugh.

In Italy, in a restaurant I wanted some figs but I asked for fica. Without missing a beat the waiter said "we all would but this is not that kind of establishment" apparently fica is slang for vagina and fico would have been correct. My cousins were on the floor laughing.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and laugh.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 10:17 AM

There is an app on my phone that I can ask (Siri) in English that will translate verbally and in writing to Spanish. I can play the Spanish translation to another person which has been helpful in being understood.

One or two verb tenses and correct pronunciation, IMO, is most important to not sounding like a 4th grader.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
There is an app on my phone that I can ask (Siri) in English that will translate verbally and in writing to Spanish. I can play the Spanish translation to another person which has been helpful in being understood.

One or two verb tenses and correct pronunciation, IMO, is most important to not sounding like a 4th grader.

Samsung with Google Assistant is much better than Apple with Siri.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

My Spanish is pretty good but I have made some very funny mistakes. While in a 2 year negotiation to buy a property from 9 sisters and brothers I mistakenly told them I didn't want to crap on their moms bed by confusing miedo with merda and cama with recama. The whole family went silent. I, like the typical Gringo kept blathering on. Later outside my wonderful wife informed me of my mistake. At out next meeting we all had a great laugh.

In Italy, in a restaurant I wanted some figs but I asked for fica. Without missing a beat the waiter said "we all would but this is not that kind of establishment" apparently fica is slang for vagina and fico would have been correct. My cousins were on the floor laughing.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and laugh.

:lol:....now those are great stories!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 11:32 AM

Two years ago I was looking for a plastic elbow joint for a water line issue in Bahia Asuncion. I went to the local hardware store and stumbled my way through my request, using a favourite phrase, "Cómo se dice" while pointing to my elbow.
The rogue's gallery sitting around had a good chuckle....

"Codo" is Spanish for "elbow" .... and a colloquial term for a "cheapskate"..... :biggrin:

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
As a newish member I'll say the signal/noise ratio here is pretty bad. I'm part of several online communities and they all have their issues, but the tenor of this place makes me reluctant to jump in a lot.

I've had conversations and arguments, political and philosophical with a wide range of characters online ranging back to the days of usenet. This is hardly the worst, but it's well below the median.

Yet you could not wait to join the pigs in the mud:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0...

$0.35 for a used paperback copy. I'd be happy to send one your way if you provide an address.

Hypocrisy, how ironic. You're a perfect fit for BN.

John

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by John Harper]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 01:40 PM

Two years ago I was looking for a plastic elbow joint for a water line issue in Bahia Asuncion. I went to the local hardware store and stumbled my way through my request, using a favourite phrase, "Cómo se dice" while pointing to my elbow.
The rogue's gallery sitting around had a good chuckle....

"Codo" is Spanish for "elbow" .... and a colloquial term for a "cheapskate"..... :biggrin:

we all remember DavidE......aka "El Codo" so fitting:yes:
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.