Author: Subject: Different prices for non residents
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Osprey,

Ok, can I get up off the couch yet! Matted and pinned!

I nearly blew my coffee out my nose....stop that!

I couldn't stand my mother either, much better relationship since her passing.

Iflyfish

You have been overcharged by your local shrink.:spingrin::spingrin:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 06:03 AM

And the last session was a real blow out too!

Iflyfish

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Quote:
Osprey,

Ok, can I get up off the couch yet! Matted and pinned!

I nearly blew my coffee out my nose....stop that!

I couldn't stand my mother either, much better relationship since her passing.

Iflyfish

You have been overcharged by your local shrink.:spingrin::spingrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
You have been overcharged by your local shrink

He IS his local shrink.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 06:32 AM

Quote:
Dennis, you said "Aha..... Effect independent of cause. Very victimationalistic. Hmmmmmm..... "

I was only kiddin' with you, Rick. Just felt like making up a new word.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
You have been overcharged by your local shrink

He IS his local shrink.

Damn!... and a good one at that!
IFLYFISH
Right on! That is some heavy stuff to read first thing in the morning but you most certainly are doing something right. Would love to sit over some cold ones and discuss life in Mexico... and life in general with you one day!!!!

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 07:39 AM

Pecador...THAT is a classic example of funky pricing here...it really does depend on how much the cake mixes cost that week and extra time put in on certain jobs(as well as how you are related to the cake recipient) many factors influence the end price...and good for you for tipping on a "beyond the call of duty" job. Our cousin is a cake maker and they are a bit expensive in my mind but are also much superior to any mass produced cake and I know the $ goes to feed their kids, not a megastore.
Hey Dennis, nice couch dude!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 09:00 AM

Shari,

Good. You can ride his couch for a while, my fingers are sore from tryping and my mind numb from explaining myself and my dead mother:lol:.

Sounds great Marie Rose, eh? I speak Canadian too.

Iflyfish
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Pippitysnice--what a great word. Thank you, Shari.

Not to change the subject...but how do you pronounce it, and what's the derivation?

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by elizabeth]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Quote:

Not to change the subject...but how do you pronounce it, and what's the derivation?

My wife, who is Greek, says that it has a Greek derivation. They were making philosophy while our ancestors were swinging from trees.. Pippity--meaning of insignificance as well as small and paltry. Since--(which is I think the correct spelling but may be synce which has to do with timing. If you have seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" then you will understand the tounge in cheek humor here so do not rush to your theasaurus.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Maybe tell them you're "loco" and get it free.:?::biggrin:

doesn't work at anthony's:lol::lol::lol:
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Quote:

My wife, who is Greek, says that it has a Greek derivation. They were making philosophy while our ancestors were swinging from trees.. Pippity--meaning of insignificance as well as small and paltry. Since--(which is I think the correct spelling but may be synce which has to do with timing. If you have seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" then you will understand the tounge in cheek humor here so do not rush to your theasaurus.

Thanks for the explanation, but I think you meant when YOUR ancestors were swinging in trees. Mine were growing vineyards and making wine!!!!!!
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Those who cannot read a Spanish menu should be charged 20% extra since the proprietor had to get his menu translated and extra copies printed to accommodate.

Those lodging establishments which have English speaking staff should charge 20% more for non-Spanish speaking Gringos, because bi-lingual staff gets paid more.

If you disagree with the above, stay in the US or Canada and spend more of your money there for less service and courtesy for the same commodities.

As was suggested in previous posts, use the Spanish menu and keep track of the costs of items. If you lose track, just ask for a menu at the time you receive La Cuenta to compare.

A factoid was provided one time to me and I didn't bother to research it. I was told: "It is against Mexican Law for restaurants to have the menu ONLY in foreign currency" - that means like US dollars or Canadian loonies.

I would love to hear from a Citizen of Mexico on this board who can shed some light on that claim.
If we should all stay in Canada and the US if we can't speak Spanish and spend our money there, pretty soon there would be no need for a bi lingual staff in fact there would be no need for the establishment at all. So no more jobs and they wouldn't have to worry about speaking English. Has that thought occurred to anyone?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
They were making philosophy while our ancestors were swinging from trees..

That was the best line from that movie, made by the father of the bride. I don't know why, but older men have it toughest changing cultures.

My dad would often tell me "Think of it. Why, you're part of a nation that's over 1000 years old". As though, I somehow benefitted from that.

The US is a nation of immigrants and that film ringed true for a lot of people.

My regards to Marika,
Igor
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 06:29 PM

With vendors it's hard to know just what to do, how much to pay, if one should ask the price, haggle, etc. Around 1998 I started to just grab the stuff and run like hell. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. The stuff had hardly any value but it gave me a rush in a foreign country for no money at all. (Cheap Thrills) Isn't that what it's all about? I'm not proud of myself but it was fun til the vendors and their tiny children caught up to me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 07:30 PM

Fishhawk,

That explains the limp.:P:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
Quote:
Those who cannot read a Spanish menu should be charged 20% extra since the proprietor had to get his menu translated and extra copies printed to accommodate.

Those lodging establishments which have English speaking staff should charge 20% more for non-Spanish speaking Gringos, because bi-lingual staff gets paid more.

If you disagree with the above, stay in the US or Canada and spend more of your money there for less service and courtesy for the same commodities.

As was suggested in previous posts, use the Spanish menu and keep track of the costs of items. If you lose track, just ask for a menu at the time you receive La Cuenta to compare.

A factoid was provided one time to me and I didn't bother to research it. I was told: "It is against Mexican Law for restaurants to have the menu ONLY in foreign currency" - that means like US dollars or Canadian loonies.

I would love to hear from a Citizen of Mexico on this board who can shed some light on that claim.
If we should all stay in Canada and the US if we can't speak Spanish and spend our money there, pretty soon there would be no need for a bi lingual staff in fact there would be no need for the establishment at all. So no more jobs and they wouldn't have to worry about speaking English. Has that thought occurred to anyone?

Has the other approach occured to anyone? Learn 100 words in Spanish and have a better chance of working within the system.

I know it is challenging to some to learn 100 new words in any language, even their own, but they SHOULD stay in the US and Canada for their own comfort and where they can pay more for less. A Darwin example as sooner or later, that breed will die out, unless the government provides cost of living increases to their social stipends.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
cajhawk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 10:56 AM

In Southern California amusement parks do this all of the time. If you have a driver's license with a certain zip code you can get into Sea World all year for going there just once. It encourages you to bring out of town guest there more often. Maybe not apples to apples, but it does happen here in the US as well!
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 12:54 PM

Lencho, you're just laying in wait for me there in the bushes, I KNOW YOU ARE!! I do know 100 words in Espanol!:biggrin: :o:o Oh wait! You mean I gotta be able to string them together into an intelligible sentence?:O I've YET to be laughed out of anywhere for lack of trying, but I've seen a lot of very confused expressions....as they've seen on my face in return!!!:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

What?!
OK, honestly now, Nomads: how many of you do not know at least 100 words in Spanish? :?:

--Larry
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Has the other approach occured to anyone? Learn 100 words in Spanish and have a better chance of working within the system.

What?!
OK, honestly now, Nomads: how many of you do not know at least 100 words in Spanish? :?:

--Larry

Uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco...stand by, this is going to take a while... :?:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 08:34 PM

Looked to me like a cell phone & an ice cream cone, but I was moving past that snake in the grass at a high rate of speed!

And no fair!! You're cheating! You KNOW me! Of course my Espanol is heavily weighted with construction related terminology...."Es no correcto!" "Necessito mas fino trabajo!" "Sin cerveza con trabajo en mi propidad!" Well the purists might not get it, but my workers do! They also understand "Muy bueno trabajo, gracias!":biggrin:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Lencho, you're just laying in wait for me there in the bushes, I KNOW YOU ARE!!

You sure got that right. Lencho's ambush is underway here:
Jeesh, I gotta cut down on my medication. Did I have a Nextel radio and a machete in my hand? :O

--Larry

Edit to correct weary transpositions!;)

[Edited on 5-3-2008 by longlegsinlapaz]
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.