Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 09:26 AM
WEDDING DAY!!

Well, I woke up early today..and something was on my mind.

Ever had one of those days? Something foggy nagging at your brain. What could it be?...sure bugging as I head to the kitchen for my morning java..hmm..what's so dang special about today?

THEN..it hit me like a ton of tamales.

Ay Carumba!! Of course! It's.....

......Time for great rejoicing!

There's a wedding today!

Noo...not us..been there, done that...
:rolleyes:

It's my good 'amicos' from Italy...Roberto and Daniela. They wanted the service at the old mission. Great choice.
Congratulations and Bravissimo! Una bella ceremonia.

Padre Daniel does the honors. What a great guy..as you will see in some future posts.

note: I may have 'swooned' here..it's all a fogged memory..Co-Pilot is bracing me.

The traditional rice throw...Stateside, Italy, Baja..all the same.

Drive them safely to the reception, Fabio! (He should be a good driver...his job is flying passenger jets for Alitalia..same as Roberto. Kudos to all, salud!.)

Y'know...There's always something happening in Mulege...like maybe a reception at Ray's later?...and a party at Ana's?...and a dinner at Equipales?. Little voices tell me it just may happen.....:rolleyes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 11:19 AM

Beautiful wedding, it was really nice meeting the bride at Equipales the other night, give them my best.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 09:39 AM

Good reading. It has been some time since I was in Mulage but I hope to return soon.

bacquito
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 09:51 AM

Fun stuff, Pomp----------thanks for posting this happy, funny story and pics.

Barry
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 09:26 AM
PUB CRAWL THRU MULEGE - 2010

Certain recent activities have reminded me that it's Time to Update the Mulege Mirror with a ramble through some of the dives..uh..finest cantinas....that Mulege has to offer!

Note: If any Baja Nomads were accidentally photographed in the following series...too bad and tough luck. Your wives will have known about this a few months ago, anyway.

We begin with a toast.. "To all the bars I've loved before."

What better way to begin ..a smile from Zulema is most welcome.

I know I know this place...?? Just can't think of it right off the top. It will come to me, I'm sure...

In the meantime, Gunda Din, we better have another round..

And don't forget his lordship, the mayor of London.

Hola Hotel Serinadad...my first watering hole from the early 70's..and still a favorite. Gracies, Sr. Johnson.

Doney's (Mely) always has a cold one for me..along with an early breakfast. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...been a while since we had a cold one here...oh, well, some new renter will come along any day now. Like all the ones before...

Hey, the O'Leary twins? No...wait..it's Club el Burro and Manuel! At Bertha's Beach Bash Cantina.

In my neighborhood vicinty: Ana's Cafe, Santispac. A hole in the wall refuge for Woodstock veterans.

The only continous Happy Hour bar in the Bay. Roger's Rookery. free beer and pool, plus mystery sandwiches, and pickled walleye.

Above: Warning..More than a week of Happy Hours at the 'Rookery' could get you 86'ed and also lead to you looking like the above threesome.

Ah..a new place under the bridge. Could shape up to be a good hang-out. Called..A New Place Under The Bridge.

It attracts ALL kinds of people.

The drinks seem to be ...a little strong for me. But hey, next time I will limit myself to just 6 shots of Don Julio.

Now here we find some ambiance..and maybe if we are lucky...Father Daniel will still be there playing his guitar. How about a little 'Beach Boys', padre? He's a fine player & singer.

Can"t quite remember which pub this was..my mind was elsewhere ...:rolleyes:

Of course, no cantina crawl would be complete in Mulege without a beer and burger. Wipe off your chin, Co-Pilot..got a little ketchup going there..

Oklay, thats' today's batch of Mulege pubs that we've crawled recently..the remaing 56 on file will have to wait until after my liver transplant.

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Pompano]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 09:58 AM

If the rest of the world knew you were living like that, you would have a lot of company.

Thanks for the "crawl", Roger.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 02:20 PM
Jesus is an Excellent Outboard Mechanic in Mulege

I felt this great mechanic needed a post of his own...so here it is.

The other day I took my boat/engine into town to see about getting it to run properly.

Engine start was dead...nada, nothing. Battery bank checks out fully charged. Gauges working, bilges, bait tanks, everything checked out A-OK. Still would not fire up..

Jesus found the problem..after an expert inspection.

The outboard whiz mechanic of Mulege...Jesus.

He..with the help of his father...checked out my fairly complicated Evinrude 115 E-Tec outboard. Checking fuses, connections, nuetral linkage, oil supply, and then ran a little check on the engine computer. Nada.

Then Jesus takes a good look at the ignition switch..turns it on, off, on off..seeing the gauges work..hmm..everything
except engine START. He gets the instrument panel off and inspects the back of the ignitiion component. ..
"aha.. you pulled a ignition wire loose..see here?"

Yup..operator error.

Jesus Romero Drew
Cell: 615-155-8442
Casa: 15-3-04-23

Jesus's shop is located in the barrio just south of the Serinadad. Take the Serinadad road in and look for the shop with all the boats and engines..to the left and next to a little tienda.

This time it was an easy fix..the next time???

Put your faith in Jesus.
He's an expert outboard mechanic and can solve your problems.

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 03:03 PM

i second the jesus endorsement ....he's worked on our boats many times..and he's GOOD!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:35 AM
'SR. GECKO' - New Internet Cafe and Computer Repair

HUGO FIXED MY COMPUTER PROBLEM :yes:

”There was no question about it, my computer was locked up like a crazy aunt in a dark, secluded attic.”

So I took it to Hugo at the new Sr. Gecko internet café.

Below is the 'old Palapa cafe'...Saul behind the counter.

The new Sr. Gecko is next door to Saul’s old Palapa roadside café. But don’t look for Saul (above) or the Palapa anymore..that café is closed and Saul has moved to La Paz and a new café endeavor.

El Gecko
This almost-new business is just starting to burgeon in Mulege.
(aha! …a first!...I have now used the word ‘burgeon’ in my scribblings. That milestone makes me feel...feel...uh...well, oddly thirsty...?)

Mulege’s handiest internet café.
Great, new internet café with food, drinks, computer repair/restoring, and fine hosts...Hugo & Josefina.

Hugo fixed my laptop’s problem, plus installed a great multiple photo re-sizer program. Good quick computer repair..( even quicker if Hugo and amigo, Bob, had not lingered so long reviewing my pc's Baja Co-Pilots folder.) :rolleyes:

I am a very satisfied customer and recommend taking your pc problems to Sr. Gecko.

Look for thier Grand Opening..which should happen very soon. (..unless it was yesterday?? Hey, it's Baja, and I lose track of days..)
:yes:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 08:55 AM

Pompano, Thanks for the photo tour. It's time to go fishing.:D
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 11:17 AM

pomp....i agree that sr. gecko is a great place to eat...and their grand opening is friday night....however...when we had breakfast there yesterday morning a japanese lady was in there skyping her relatives or something in japan...she had her headphones on and was literally screaming in japanese the entire time we were in there...a little hard to enjoy breakfast with those conditions....it would be nice if hugo would allow folks who want to talk to use the backroom so his other customers wouldn't have to listen to the gibberish..my thoughts.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 11:26 AM

I agree, Mike...it's like those playing-a-role characters who talk in public places on thier cellphones..so loud the person on the other end could hear them without the phone connection!

I was on a boat where a bad accident happened with a cellphone. A fellow was rudely and loudly yakking about nothing on his cellphone while we were out on a fishing day.

How that cellphone ever fell into the water, will probably be forever a mystery.:biggrin:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 07:34 AM
AEROMEDICS FLY-IN AT MULEGE

This last Saturday was a special event at the Serinadad Resort in Mulege. A gathering of flying medical people…Aeromedics. A good feast for a good cause.

30 or so small planes were on the pista.

Thanks to all these volunteers who donate their time and efforts to improve life in some far-off Baja places.

[Edited on 3-5-2011 by Pompano]

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:08 AM

Let's not forget the "Guest of Honor"...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 11:21 PM
News Flash.."Tom Higgenbottom's 80th birthday!"

Tom told me the other day that he and Patty came to Mulege in the mid-70's. I remember that first meeting.. 'back in the day.' He went on to say that of all the hundreds of people they met..I was the first..and am the only one left from that era of Baja. :wow:

Hmmm...last man standing, so to speak..still above ground level...not taking the dirt nap yet? :O Best not dwell too long on that one, right?

Hey, it's a great day to celebrate!

"Feliz Cumpleaños, Tomas."

"GOOD PARTY, McCLINTOCK!! MORE WHISKY!"

The party was held at the El Candil cafe, a great cantina restored/rebuilt by another old amigo, Matt (Mateo) Mathews. RIP

This photo shows MacyMan at the bar...and, yes, that's a napkin he's pulling out of his nose....?? I'm not going to ask..nope. :?:

A merry time was had by all.

"Roger, your fly is open.."

John H. won an award for being the best-dressed guest. A digital camera to match his shirt.

Tom relates this gem:

- An 85-year-old man was requested by his doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow."

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked, what happened and the man explained.

"Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing.

She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing. We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing."

The doctor was shocked! "You asked your neighbor?"

The old man replied, "Yep, none of us could get the jar open."

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 06:46 AM

Tom is one of my fav baja characters.
if you see this Tom, happy B day and best to Patty too!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 02:21 PM

Thanks, Looks like everybody was having a good time.:yes:
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 02:23 PM

The band looks familiar. Is this them??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMXahpRVV4
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 07:18 AM

looks like a cool bunch of people having fun, which is what it is all about.

RIGHT?

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 07:57 AM

Wow, looks like a great time.... lot's of Cougars! LOL:bounce:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.