BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
RPaitich

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 10:36 AM

Hey Paul, I have an adventure trip I'd like to take you on.
Dang, I wish I was home in Castillo now! Fortunately the local margaritas are fine.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I made the run from Ensenda to Loreto last night, got the ok from highway patrol at 4pm. The bridge south was out and we re-routed to the west and went thru a really nasty wash, four wheel drive only or get towed across for two hundred pesos. I was in a 4X4 and it was still hairy!!

The next bridge was out and we waited for an hour and a half while they let the northbound traffic thru, mostly big rigs and many of these needed an assist from a large front loader to get them out of the soft sand. We really didnt have much of a problem there Was going to stay the night at the desert inn, but the guy on the desk was a complete jerk, not the first bad experiense there and will never go back, plus will advise friends to bypass this dump.

It's good to be home

At this point it was getting really late so we just did a bonzai run and arrived in Loreto about 9 AM. Quite the trip

Thanks... Can you answer these:

Which bridges are you describing when you say "bridge south" and "next bridge" (ie. San Vicente, Santo Domingo/ Col. Guerrero, El Rosario)?

Which Desert Inn is the 'dump' with the bad attitude desk man? San Quintin, Cataviña?

Muchas Gracias!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I made the run from Ensenda to Loreto last night, got the ok from highway patrol at 4pm. The bridge south was out and we re-routed to the west and went thru a really nasty wash, four wheel drive only or get towed across for two hundred pesos. I was in a 4X4 and it was still hairy!!

The next bridge was out and we waited for an hour and a half while they let the northbound traffic thru, mostly big rigs and many of these needed an assist from a large front loader to get them out of the soft sand. We really didnt have much of a problem there Was going to stay the night at the desert inn, but the guy on the desk was a complete jerk, not the first bad experiense there and will never go back, plus will advise friends to bypass this dump.

It's good to be home

At this point it was getting really late so we just did a bonzai run and arrived in Loreto about 9 AM. Quite the trip

Congratulations on getting through, Dan! Now get some sleep. :) And thank you for the report. I and many others are about to make the trip and your report really helps. It is only going to get better from today on.

Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice. Even without a trailer or camper now, I still pull into the Santa Inez and sleep in my truck. The service is certainly better!:lol:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 03:28 PM

Just heard from a friends wife here. Her husband was stopped in Ensanada and told the highway was closed for 4 or 5 days. He's going to try the ferry. She also mentioned another Person from PC did make it in today but it was really hairy. more as I here about it......

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 03:54 PM
Strange...Jan 26, 2010 / 2:30pm

Hi,

Something strange is happening... apparently the temporary repairs on the bridge at San Vicente were done yesterday (there were plenty of pictures on the web about this)... and today the work in Col. Guerrero's bridge was supposed to be done around midday (confirmed over the phone by some friends down there).

However, we have been hearing reports about vehicles being turned around in Ensenada by the Federal Police... a few of our suppliers told us, over the phone, that their units were turned back this morning, supposedly because there was no pass at San Vicente.

We also received this message via e-mail, by one of our guests at the Motel, who has been staying in Ensenada:

Hello Antonio.

The Police turned me back. They are only letting PU trucks and trucks though.
The San Vicente Bridge is still closed and you need a truck to cross the river. No passenger cars yet.
I am back in Ensenada. I will check again tomorrow.
Please keep me posted on your end.

Thank you Ron.

I will try to investigate what is going on...:?:

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 04:05 PM

It does make abundant sense that a responsible police force would restrict access South, if they knew that every Tom, Dick, or Harry in a sedan would not be able to make the crossings.

As for (speculation) the Desert Inn at Catavina, for anyone who has had a bad experience there, two salient issues: First, in reality, they are the only game in town for those not self-contained. Second, their staff is obliged to live there on the property, which cannot be a real positive experience, given the remote nature. IMHO, given the rural, off-the-grid situation, this property is actually a comfort for travelers. That said, the folks who own the chain could do a bit more with their training and enforcement.
RPaitich

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 05:10 PM

re: Desert Inn Cataviña

We've had decent treatment at the Cataviña Desert Inn; food, margaritas and service were good. I was able to negotiate a discount as a "local" with my FM3.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 05:15 PM
Update... Jan 26, 2010 / 3:30pm

Hi,

This is what I found out for you (from several friends and contacts we have along the Baja and a few drivers who just arrived from the north to BajaCactus in El Rosario, including our accountant):

-- San Vicente Ferrer... the temporary bridge is not functional yet... however traffic is being diverted through the river bed and there are no problems to cross... all type of vehicles can pass with care.

-- Colonia Vicente Guerrero... the temporary bridge is not functional yet... only 4x4's and high clearance vehicles can cross on their own (water levels at 1-2 feet and the bottom is sandy)... however, if you are driving a small vehicle, as soon as you approach the area, several people are ready to tow you across the river for a fee (around $300-$600 pesos)... there is a risk that some water may come into your doors, but the river is passable... there is a huge, HUGE line of semi's waiting to cross the bridge, specially from the south.

-- El Rosario... there is no work being done at the bridge, however there is no problem to cross the river bed with any type of vehicle, via a bypass that was made on it and that was covered with a lot of dry soil (I will try to get some pictures later).

Both repair crews at San Vicente and Col. Guerrero report they expect to have the bridges functional this evening, around 7-8 pm (we were able to personally speak with the foreman at Col. Guerrero).

Now, I do not know what is the situation with the Federal Police, or why they are not allowing pass from Ensenada, but according to people on site in San Vicente and Col. Guerrero, and actual drivers that just arrived from the north, at the moment, there is absolutely no problem with traffic flow all the way from Ensenada to Col. Guerrero... it is there, in Col. Guerrero, where the real problem is... but, if you are driving a small car, for a fee you can be towed across.

I hope this helps my friends.

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 05:27 PM

Thanks, Antonio. Keep up the good work. I'm especially concerned for all the hoteliers and restaurateurs who depend upon the spike in business from those folks who want to visit the whales in season. We're looking forward to being a part of that effort in the next few weeks. This would not be our first time having to battle the elements, but it's just easier if, given the challenge of Mex 1, water is not an issue.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice.

Yes the service there can be slow, but it is a sleepy place and the speed seems appropriate. Usually, a polite word gets attention of the inattentive. What's your rush? There is nothing to rush off to in Catavina.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 06:10 PM
El Rosario bridge...

Damage to the bridge of El Rosario...

IMG00335.jpg - 14kB

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 06:11 PM
El Rosario bridge...traffic flowing again.

You can see any type of vehicle can drive through the temporary bypass made at the bridge in El Rosario...

IMG00331.jpg - 13kB

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 09:33 PM
Official word... Jan 26, 2010 / 6:00pm

Officials from the San Quintín area just told us that the temporary repairs on the bridge should be fully functional by tonight.

So, the official word is that by tomorrow (Jan 27th, 2010) we should have a "normal" flow of traffic, and that trucks will be able to resume the shipment of supplies in the area (fuel, propane, food, etc.).

Of course, this means that also every other type of vehicle will be able to drive through the damage areas.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 09:45 PM

Good news Antonio, see you in a few weeks..

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice.

Yes the service there can be slow, but it is a sleepy place and the speed seems appropriate. Usually, a polite word gets attention of the inattentive. What's your rush? There is nothing to rush off to in Catavina.

I agree "there is nothing to rush off to in Catavina. But it is not really a "sleepy place" unless you have checked in for the night. It is the only place that has the appearance of a first class hotel and restaurant. People who aren't checked into the hotel are mostly transiting, and are in a rush to get the hell out of there and onward. Daylight is short this time of year. I, as anyone who knows me will attest, am fully in tune with the Mexican pace. I can chill with the best of 'em.

My reports on The Baja Nomad are accurate according to my experience. I am always respectful to service personnel. I stand by my report. :smug:

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 10:48 PM

Antonio,

Thank you for your reports. I am watching them closely and plan to get on the road early next week. I will make a reservation at The Baja Cactus, my favorite in all of Baja. Hopefully you will be there and I will get to say "hello!" again. Paco loves room 101! :bounce:

100_0513 [DVD (NTSC)].JPG - 24kB

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 11:44 PM
Fuel delivered...Jan 26, 2010 / 10:23pm

We just received a tank truck of fuel at the BajaCactus Gas Station in El Rosario... it comes from Ensenada and was one of the first heavy vehicles to cross over the damaged area in Col. Guerrero. We ordered this delivery as soon as we realized what was happening (last Friday) and therefore this delivery was one of the first in line waiting.

The truck driver told us that, between Ensenada and El Rosario, the only really rough and still difficult place to cross over is the repaired bridge in Col. Guerrero. He said that the temporary repairs made "felt kind of soft"... he was worried they will not hold for long... however, remember he was one of the first to cross and he was carrying over 40 tons of fuel.

He also mentioned that now, any type of vehicle can cross over all the areas where the bridges were down, with some difficulties at Col. Guerrero but they can cross.

Let us hope things continue to get better from here on.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2010 at 12:56 AM

Hey Nomads, any update on Erendira? Saw pictures that showed the east bound (river side) of the road in to town is washed out, 5 houses along the river lost, and heard there is no water in town. Need to check on our place.

Gracias,

Esteban
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2010 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
We just received a truck pipe of fuel at the BajaCactus Gas Station in El Rosario... it comes from Ensenada and was one of the first heavy vehicles to cross over the damaged area in Col. Guerrero. We ordered this delivery as soon as we realized what was happening (last Friday) and therefore this delivery was one of the first in line waiting.

The truck driver told us that, between Ensenada and El Rosario, the only really rough and still difficult place to cross over is the repaired bridge in Col. Guerrero. He said that the temporary repairs made "felt kind of soft"... he was worried they will not hold for long... however, remember he was one of the first to cross and he was carrying over 40 tons of fuel.

He also mentioned that now, any type of vehicle can cross over all the areas where the bridges were down, with some difficulties at Col. Guerrero but they can cross.

Let us hope things continue to get better from here on.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

Antonio, thank you for all of the information - I was going to head to Mulege earlier this week, however, will now put the trip off a bit. I have stayed at your hotel quite often heading south and what a great place it is. Once again, thanks. Jim
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 1-27-2010 at 09:25 AM

What were the rain totals like last night from Ensenada south?

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by jodiego]
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.