BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11
Author: Subject: Carlos Fiesta's Plane en route from Mexico crashes in Newport Beach, CA!
GregN
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 02:23 PM

Looks like it was a real heartfelt tribute to one terrific guy. His enthusiasm touched the lives of many, myself included. Unable to attend, I was thinking of him all weekend.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 04:08 PM

Another pic I meant to upload - of Leslie & Tracy, Carlos' wife and daughter, taking a moment to address everyone at the memorial yesterday at Torrance Beach.

leslie-n-tracy2.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 07:04 PM

Juan del Rio -- please check your u2u - thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There were hundreds of people on the beach at sundown when the service ended... A multiple flyover by vintage aircraft doing the missing man formation set the experince of importance this man had over those who attended today.

The recurring theme by everyone: Carlos' positive influence on all those around him - each and every day.

Here's a video showing the crowd and the missing man formation flyover:

That is a great video Doug... you got the missing man fly-by perfect... Very deep emotional day. We miss you Carlos Fiesta!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

taxcutter
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dry

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 11:55 PM

I surfed with Russ Urban in Baja.

Russ surfed with no wetsuit
Not even a T-shirt, or something.

Yea, Russ rode a tanker, longboard.
But with old school style.
The old drop knee bit.

Maybe it was those dang trunks.
A green pair, but riding up high.
Old school, 60's surfer look.

And he would take off with no worries.
Nobody would drop in on him.

As it would be, we would talk in the line up.
The Teacher, Mr. Professor.

A couple of years later, this last summer, I see Russ at Rat Beach.
What is going on, Russ?

Russ is teaching some kids to surf, swim and the ocean.
A couple of the parents (moms) are hanging out, too.
They tell me how Russ is Number One.
Ladies, we already knew that. Russ is a Surfer.
And I go back out swimming and surfing with Russ and the kids.

I surfed with Russ Urban.
Right On.
M
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 10:54 AM

I had the good fortune to surf with Carlos, Russ, and Sean on their last trip - all interesting, generous, fun-loving guys. Each lived an adventure filled, charitable life to be proud of. I feel so blessed to have spent some time with them.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 05:55 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I am making some calls to help with Juan del Rio's request about getting Carlos' book published. If Chuck (Carlos) talked to any of you about his book please get in touch with me, I want to help fulfill that request. Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 11:27 AM

That is a beautiful post and last picture, Juan.

My belated condolences to the families of Chuck Chambers, Russell Urban, and Sean Kelly. Though we e-mailed, I never had the opportunity to meet Chuck.

I'd missed this story due to being ill and had just received an e-mail from Carlos a few weeks earlier reminding me to once again order 4 Baja calendars, which I did without knowing about this sad tale. I'm so sorry for the friends and family.

-Namaste

[Edited on 2010-12-3 by bryanmckenzie]

[Edited on 2010-12-3 by bryanmckenzie]
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 09:21 PM
Report: Beechcraft Musketeer ran out of fuel

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-1214-plane-20101213,0,...

Investigators conclude the pilot refueled twice on his way home from Baja.

By Mike Reicher
December 13, 2010

Federal investigators found that the small plane that crashed in Newport Beach's Back Bay and killed three people in November ran out of fuel, confirming earlier speculation.

The private pilot, who was flying home from a surf trip in Baja, refueled in San Felipe and later in Calexico, a border town south of the Salton Sea, according to a preliminary report released Monday.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators talked with ground crew members and another pilot at those airports. But witnesses were unable to say how much fuel the plane had when it took off from Calexico.

"We do not know how much fuel was in that airplane," Wayne Pollack, lead investigator for the NTSB, said during an interview. "We're looking at a fuel-exhaustion scenario."

Ultimately, ounces of water were found in the in the fuel tanks, the report states. Pollack said that water could have penetrated through vents, and not necessarily through a puncture.

In Calexico, the pilot, Chuck Chambers, added 20 gallons of fuel to the tanks, which can hold 60 gallons total. The fuel lineman at the airport said he didn't know how much gas was onboard before he added some to the right wing tank. He also said fuel didn't reach the brim.

As the plane approached John Wayne Airport on Nov. 21, the night of the crash, Chambers twice told a JWA air traffic controller, "We have just run out of fuel."

Chambers had been flying for more than 30 years, his wife said. A real estate broker from Palos Verdes Estates, he was an avid surfer and traveled to Mexico often to visit friends and catch un-crowded waves. The three friends were on their way to Zamperini Field Airport in Torrance when they made the unexpected turn inland toward JWA.

The report describes an account by a Newport Beach firefighter who watched the plane pass over the fire station near Newport Center, less than a mile southeast of the crash site. He heard the plane's engine "sputter," and said it never revved back up. It flew just "three telephone poles' height" above the ground as it passed the witness, the report states.

Chambers and two other South Bay residents, Russell Urban, 63, of Rancho Palos Verdes, and Sean Kelly, 44, of Hermosa Beach, drowned in the crash, as the plane rested upside down in about three feet of water, according to a coroner's report released in November.

After the plane was extracted from a mud flat, investigators found that many of its components were in working order, including the fuel screen and the fuel tank selector.

Pollack from the NTSB said that he is still waiting on standard toxicology and autopsy results, and radar information before he completes the investigation in 2011.

Earlier this month, a firefighter told the Daily Pilot that emergency responders initially were unable to open the doors of the four-seat Beechcraft Musketeer, which was stuck nose-down in a mudflat. About 20 to 25 police and firefighters lifted the plane above ground enough to open the doors, he said. The whole process took about 30 minutes, he estimated, while the tide was rising.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 12:57 PM
Bad Weather and a Worse Miscalculation ?

Since the decision was made not to Top the Tanks, but calculate what would be a sufficient total, it appears to be another unfortunate mistake with Grave consequences.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 03:33 PM
More Condolences to the Family

Your loss is not forgotten.

Prayers from the heart are going out to you.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 11:16 PM

There has to be something to make sense of this... Carlos was a detail guy (have you spent any time on BajaExpo.com?)... and for him to mis-judge how much fuel he needed or was available is not in his character. This flying from Mexico wasn't new to him. This was just really sad and such a great loss.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 07:29 AM

"and for him to mis-judge how much fuel he needed or was available is not in his character."

maybe so - but when the NTSB and FAA look at this stuff it is in B&W under a magnifying glass.

lotsa dead pilots that had great character. But they also lacked sound judgment if only for a brief period.....

fuel management is solely the domain of the PIC [pilot-in-command] under part 91 regs. running out of gas continues to be the leading cause of PREVENTABLE light AC fatalities and sadly there is no excuse for it.

checking fuel burn in cruise against ETA and ground speed is a must for pilot in flight management, and the only functional way to objectively gauge your safety against the legal minimum reserves [30 min for VFR [visual flight rules].

when down to your minimum and not in the pattern you must land, and hopefully have figured/anticipated that contingency well beforehand.

the FAA lets you get off with 30 min fuel reserve if VFR....conservative pilots use 1 hour. all of my BBP and baja buddy pilots are in the habit of using the one hour rule too because of the paucity of airports with gas in baja and sonora, they get used to and acceept that - and do it stateside routinely.

sadly "get-home-itis" can interfere with sound judgment.

Carlos was a great guy, and is sorely missed. He had great character. for whatever reason there was a lapse in judgment which created tragedy for 3 lives.

other active pilots here may weigh in or think it differently.
this is my opinion.

[Edited on 12-16-2010 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 07:50 AM

Everything mike said is right on, but I still think fuel lost in flight through a faulty seal in a fuel tank cap remains a possible explanation. The NTSB should be able to determine that. The collapsing fuel cell caused by an increasing vacuum can jam the fuel gauge sensors and give a misleading reading, leading the pilot to think he/she has more fuel than is actually there. It happened to me.

carpe diem!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 08:24 AM

yes Ken yur right, i sure would prefer when the final report comes in - BTW - avg time req'd on the full findings is 2 years! that it was a mech defect or problem - what bothers me is preliminarily they estimate he was in flight for 3.5 hours or more for a 100 minute flight giving credence to the severe headwinds and turbulence both low coastal route and the direct one over Julian VOR.

based on his GS vs TAS he was lucky to get chevrolet speed over mother earth.

one of my non flying friends who is frequently a willing pax with me says when birds aren't flying - he's not flying.
growing up in the cold mid west Kansas farm regions i can identify with that observation!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 08:36 AM

mike the winds aloft for that route and that time should be available, right? Does the FAA keep that kind of information?

carpe diem!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 08:43 AM

Wow, 3.5 hours for less than 190 nm, that's about 54 knots on the ground. TAS should have been about 100 knots. You're right, you can drive it faster than that. Regardless of what the gages said, he must have known he wasn't making much progress. VERY puzzling why he pressed on. Maybe some get-home-itis.

[Edited on 12-16-2010 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:57 AM

The final report, when it comes out, will include wind conditions encountered, re-fueling information, including San Filipe as well as Calexico, and all mechanical information concerning the aircraft, which appeared to be in relatively good condition when recovered.
The information, if correct, that the rescuers had to pry the doors open was disturbing, as the door or doors should have been cracked open before ditching.Seems all aboard were surfers, not unfamiliar with being in the water and may have been able to exit if a door had been open even under the dis-orienting inverted conditions.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 11:49 AM
Ditching Procedure ?

While I haven't read Everything relating to the accident, IS there any substantial indications or evidence that the Pilot INTENDED ditching or simply Stalled in while trying to stay aloft as long as possible ?

In any case, even the VERY Best pilots make mistakes.

One of my great boyhood idols, Scott Crossfield, died when he decided to not detour around a severe Thunderstorm that he was warned against attempting to transit. He (and the Cessna) came out in little pieces.

Of Course, he was 85, but there wasn't any indication that age was a factor. Perhaps Arrogance ?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 06:41 AM

once the windmill stopped he was gliding, i doubt he would have let his airspeed bleed off to the point of a wing stall.
and if so he would have spun 1st and gone in nose at 90 degrees crushing the cabin with attendant trauma.
given that it was well past sundown and getting dark - he was looking for a street between bldgs and trees likely, and with nothing else suitable picked the bay as an alternate spot for less chance of conflict with cars or structure.
would have been my choice too - water more forgiving that concrete or steel.

tailwheel [conventional] landing gear or fixed gear AC will flip over onto the back once they hit the water. this causes disorientation; but there are training facilities which teach it using a hardware rig on slides set up at swimming pools, and with diver support.
you ride it and flip in your seat - practice it over and over till you are completely comfortable with the procedure and can do it bindfolded even.
the contracption can be practiced by riders also in pax seats.
one of my friends has a C 180 and has taken the 2 day course - says it is well worth it as he crosses the SOC regularly.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.