Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  
Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 03:04 PM

Was never able to get into 4 x 4 off roading, had an old 3/4 Dodge I used for cutting wood with a tailer and racks on the truck.. but, did have a 250 ..dirt bike..

I could just ride around on the property, or just jump on the street (with my son on the tank holding on to the "bars" and ride... there were all kinds of places.. wasn't for the street just in the dirt..

When we moved back down to Southern California, after being in the Central Valley ... was shocked, the first time I put the bike in the Dodge and took off over to Lake Elsinore... there was any places to just ride anymore.. ended up driving all the way to Plaster City for a place just to unload and ride the stupid thing... ended up getting rid of it... as it became a full day trip or more.. just to go for a ride..

Would imagine it must be the same with off wheeling too, as a friend of mine had take his Jeep which had a Buick engine, over to Lake Elsinore and driving off road, just before we moved north to the Central Valley... in the mid 70's

Ya must have a hard time finding ANY place "close by" to use the vehicle as much as one would want... IMHO

Thanks for all the pictures.. just great... and I would be crying if rolled something that nice... just me ...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
When you look at the vehicles with larger tires traveling over the same loose route, you can see that the Rubicons actually tackling the terrain much more smoothly...

I don't see a difference between the driving style of the TJ Rubicon and the YJ.

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 03:23 PM

The TJ is radically spinning it's tires------------the Rubicon, with lockers fore and aft, is barely spinning a tire-------more damage with the TJ, in this case, and possibly poor driving technique.

TREAD LIGHTLY is a recommendation, an instructional tool, an alert to a problem, not a command. Excessive resource destruction is a violation of law, and when on Federal Land a violation of Fed. law with serious consequences. If Law Enforcement went about enforcing the TREAD LIGHTLY message as if it were law then the message would be totally lost on many simply out of frustration and rebellion, which citizens are often known to display when they think that a law is being enforced in a silly way. LE pounds folks that do serious resource destruction, but does not make it impossible for folks to use the Public lands at all----------it's all subjective.

Like everything, we need to be reasonable when passing judgement on others, IMO, less we simply become totally polarized.

Barry
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 04:07 PM

Both, Jeep YJ and Jeep TJ Rubicon show spinning front right tires.

Judging from the pictures, the Jeep TJ Rubicon has a spinning front right tire due to not using the front locker.
We don't know whether the Jeep YJ has after market lockers or not. So they are either not engaged or not present.

Not engaging a locker where it is indicated is poor driving (plus it creates more stress on the rear axle - more stress = more carnage)

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc

Judging from the pictures, the Jeep TJ Rubicon has a spinning front right tire due to not using the front locker.
We don't know whether the Jeep YJ has after market lockers or not. So they are either not engaged or not present.

Not engaging a locker where it is indicated is poor driving (plus it creates more stress on the rear axle - more stress = more carnage)

Totally agree. :spingrin:

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:33 PM
Ejido land used as rock quarry for Ensenada Bay

Quote:

Both front and rear lockers were engaged on both Rubicons, but the loose surface (dirt) still caused the aired-down tires to spin. The less impact by spinning tires, the less liklihood that axle and drivetrain components will become damaged.

If you think this land is damaged, Goat - you need to tour the other side of the adjacent land that was used to gather boulders for Ensenada Bay. :!:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
If you think this land is damaged, Goat - you need to tour the other side of the adjacent land that was used to gather boulders for Ensenada Bay. :!:

that is not an excuse. 2 wrongs don't make a right. the pics are perfect evidence of crime against nature. bunch a yahoos standing around while people drive over obstacles for kicks. i know the type, they think spinning tires, dust clouds and flinging dirt/mud is one of primary goals of a day off roading.
knuckledraggers.
cave men.
*ssholes.
there are no polite words for stupid *sses.
there are so many knuckledraggers in so cal that you can no longer find but a few desert places that are not scarred.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:30 PM

Gross exageration, Goat. I just spent a week in the central and east Mojave, and it was beautiful. Hardly anybody seen, and tons of pristine desert lands. Did not see one "knuckle dragger".

Perhaps you need to get out and take another look. :rolleyes:

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

that is not an excuse. 2 wrongs don't make a right. the pics are perfect evidence of crime against nature. bunch a yahoos standing around while people drive over obstacles for kicks. i know the type, they think spinning tires, dust clouds and flinging dirt/mud is one of primary goals of a day off roading.
knuckledraggers.
cave men.
*ssholes.
there are no polite words for stupid *sses.
there are so many knuckledraggers in so cal that you can no longer find but a few desert places that are not scarred.

The guy standing beside the Jeeps as they attempted this obstacle was our SPOTTER. His job was to tell us what was working and where to climb up. Does this make him a KNUCKLEDRAGGER??

Explain what a KNUCKLEDRAGGER is, exactly?

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:55 PM

mtgoat cant see cause hes got his head too far up his ars.
And I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKidAnd I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle

Broken drivetrain parts in Baja can literally leave you high and dry.:!:

There is nothing wrong with someone who EDUCATES proper 4WD usage in the field. I am sure he provides a great service that many of us would benefit from participating in.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
mtgoat cant see cause hes got his head too far up his ars.
And I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle

yes, of course I know you can still spin tires with a locked axle - we call that bad driving. Its brutal driving, definitely not treading lightly. Its fun though - very entertaining. I love videos with dust flying and axles snapping.

Seriously - too much air in the tires and too much gas by the driver will spin any tire. Locked or not. So, less air and less gas (take a Valium on occasion) will get you over obstacles you haven't even attempted yet.

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/gatekeeper.html

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:46 PM

I had fun today, four wheeling... Not my usual style of four wheeling, but was out with a dozen other Tacomas, and it was good!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abcSeriously - too much air in the tires and too much gas by the driver will spin any tire. Locked or not.

The downside to too little air is the possiblity of bent rims.

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

10 p.s.i. - Rocks and/or Sand

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:54 PM

Quote:

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

haven't had a bent rim in 25 years - neither have any of my clients. A bent rim indicates again that you the driver are doing something dramatically wrong.

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

haven't had a bent rim in 25 years - neither have any of my clients. A bent rim indicates again that you the driver are doing something dramatically wrong.

The Jeep was overloaded while traveling overland, and the tire pressure was too low. I keep tire pressure at about 20 p.s.i. when traveling overland, and I watch the speed on dirt roads and Baja trails.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 12:03 AM

Limited Slip, Traction Control, Active Traction Control, and Lockers should all be used to AVOID spinning tires as much as possible if not entirely... The motive is to move your rig... spinning digs holes and makes it worse for the next guy.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Limited Slip, Traction Control, Active Traction Control, and Lockers should all be used to AVOID spinning tires as much as possible if not entirely... The motive is to move your rig... spinning digs holes and makes it worse for the next guy.

Agreed. Brad's Rubicon tackled this obstacle with front and rear locking differentials in 4low.

This section would give any stock TRD Tacoma pickup a run for its' money.

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 11:30 AM

Abc all your hype and videos on the Rubicon dont impress me, you can drive stock Rigs down the Rubi all day.

And without duel cases or a marlin crawlbox , somtimes you cant get around not putting your foot down.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 09:38 AM

I came up the Compadre trail from hwy 3 to Rancho Santa Veronica to Tacate Monday. Lots of water in the road and snow up to 5 inches at the highest elevations, looked like DKs picture above. Fun drive only one truck on the road and a couple of bikers.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.