Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 05:18 PM

I'm gonna do this same trip in an air conditioned jet someday. :)

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
it sure seems like it would be more pleasant journey to bike or kayak,... just saying.... :light::cool::):spingrin:;D

wonder if they considered that?

Even more pleasant in an air conditioned SUV! :lol:

i would find a kayak or bike a lot more pleasant than an AC SUV. nothing more depressing than being cooped up in a car when you could be doing same travel in self-propelled fashion.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 06:22 PM

If they keep starting at 3AM they should make good time to Gonzaga. It's mostly flat the rest of the way.

3AM - 8AM. That must have been so much better than the 3PM - 7PM first day. The high each day is around 3:30PM. Evening walks make no sense. They've figured it out now. They're only walking the first part of the day.

I thought they would continue until 10AM today but that cove is so enticing. We always think of pulling off the hwy at that spot on the way home but there is never any time left. All the time is budgeted for the dash home.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 06:55 PM

It must be flat out torture! laying around all afternoon and evening in that heat... no picnic

Seriously, I hope they switch coasts, make CSL their final destination and call it a 1000 mile trip in 100 days. That would still be very respectable and realistic (if all goes perfectly).

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Curt63]

No worries
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 06:57 PM

Wow, they're on the move again. They walked only a few feet where there are 2 trackings from the same spot. Probably readjusting the packs or fixing boots or something, who knows. Now they are at the road. I'm very impressed!
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 07:47 PM

Hummm, not sure what going on. They were moving much faster than usual, went off the road and then the tracking stopped.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 10:11 PM

goldhuntress,

My theory is that the new paved hwy was not built directly over the old road. As long as they walked on the hwy that was paved when google took the images they walked on the hwy. Now they're walking on the paved road that is shown as a dirt road and it appears that they're off the hwy when in fact they are on a paved hwy that's next to the old dirt hwy. Are you confused with the explanation/theory?

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 10:29 PM

When it tracks on the Spot page it just goes straight from one point to the next right? It doesn't follow the road, only if I put the coordinate in Google Maps does it do that. So if they go around a curve and you zoom in on the Spot page it can look like they cut straight through instead of staying on the road. There is no curve in the road between 48 and 49, both points are west of the road so to me it looks like they walked in the wash and the old road area. I thought they may have walked up what looks to be a hill at 47 to get a look down that way. So hard to speculate.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 11:02 PM

My theory:

1) #47 is just off the hwy as they prepare to resume their journey.

2) The new hwy now crosses the arroyo on a bridge. It no longer drops to the bottom by looping along the left.

3) #48 and #49 are now directly on the new hwy.

4) The new hwy no longer follows the dirt hwy to the right of 47 and 48. It may partly overlap the old hwy but does not fully because the 2 points are not on old hwy.

As you say it's now hard to tell where the new hwy lies other than the spots that have been sent.

bajawalk4.jpg - 50kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 11:22 PM

Another example of our hikers walking across open desert.

The old hwy is clearly to the right. Our hikers are walking on a paved road that appears to be open country.

If you zoom in on #20 you can see both the hwy they're walking on and the old hwy next to them. This was the end of the new hwy when google made it's map. But as you move further down the new hwy has not yet been constructed and the spots are now on open land.

bajawalk5.jpg - 48kB
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 08:56 AM

Skipjack, I am not familiar with the road there so you would know. They had a later start today than yesterday and have gone 4.5 miles, but that would be if they were on the road shown on Google which I guess is the old road? Still close though.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 09:13 AM

Igor is correct, the new highway is their path and not 'open desert'. In the above image, they are passing Cerro Prieto volcano (see the crater?)

#21-#24 is the new highway, but on top of the previous (1986) graded road... The dirt road you see parallel to the right is the old original 4WD road to Gonzaga, but graded during highway construction, as a detour.

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Skipjack, I am not familiar with the road there so you would know. They had a later start today than yesterday and have gone 4.5 miles, but that would be if they were on the road shown on Google which I guess is the old road? Still close though.

They are definitely on the new highway... It runs parallel to the older road, to the west (inland) of it.

LIVE SPOT TRACKING

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 09:56 AM
old hwy vs new hwy

Quote:

Yes, they started at 7AM today vs 3AM yesterday. I can't understand why unless they just didn't like the darkness. It's 10AM and they're still moving whereas yesteerday by 8AM they were done, having hiked in cooler temperatures and more miles.

One of the interesting things below is how the new hwy was constructed. The old hwy follows flat level ground that can be seen to the right. But the new hwy has been clearly built to avoid this area and follow the hilly part right next to it. Since this construction is more expensive than on flat ground (the blasting and the bridges) I can't understand why this was done. The only thing I came up with is that a road on such flat ground degrades faster due to storm runoff, like the section north of Puertecitos.

Either way our intrepid explorers would have an easier time if they had followed the old road in this section.

bajawalk6.jpg - 46kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 10:08 AM

Exactly... Along the base of the hills to avoid flash flood washouts, and nice big bridges instead of vados.

If they stayed on the dirt road, not only are they closer to the sea (cooler), but safer from motorists (not that there may be many).

Maybe they have a support vehicle that comes to them periodically?

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 12:56 PM

Yes it seems it would be easier to use the old road, and maybe slightly shorter. They have their own reasons why they make the choices they do and and I'll be interested in hearing why they've done certain things during the trip that don't seem like the best thing to do or that we can't figure out at all. Not to much of that yet but they have a long way to go.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 01:21 PM

Hang in there!;D
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yes it seems it would be easier to use the old road, and maybe slightly shorter. They have their own reasons why they make the choices they do and and I'll be interested in hearing why they've done certain things during the trip that don't seem like the best thing to do or that we can't figure out at all. Not to much of that yet but they have a long way to go.

Perhaps he's choosing the pavement/ newly graded roadbed because of the stroller he is pushing. (I am assuming that the new roadbed is a better surface than the detour/old road) That said, they are about to run out of the new alignment. I'm sure they will be replacing the stroller with a better suited vehicle for the job (not many babies in strollers weigh 80#'s).

:lol::lol::lol:

Ken

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by tripledigitken]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 01:44 PM

Igor,

They did leave the cliff/coast rest spot last night and hiked up the ridge and camped. I wouldn't want to face that first thing either.

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 02:17 PM

At this location, north of Okie's Landing since 10 am:

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.