BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11
Author: Subject: NB/SB Hwy 1 (toll road) Closed at La Mision due to road collapse (pictures)
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 09:49 PM

Drove north today on the free road. Slow moving traffic coupled with a semi that rolled off the free road. 2.5 hour wait at the border. With the road construction south of Ensenada also slowing things down, I'd probably enter through Tecate and head south from San Felipe on my next trip down. We left Shipwrecks at 9:30 am. Stopped for 30 minutes at El Trailero and didn't get across the border until 5pm.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Race Dezert: "The road to Ensenada is fixed."

[img][/img]

Whoooo Hooooo !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 01:35 PM

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:21 PM

I drove the free road yesterday and it went pretty quick. No biggie. The clerk at La Fonda said 1 year closure. I doubt that.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I drove the free road yesterday and it went pretty quick. No biggie. The clerk at La Fonda said 1 year closure. I doubt that.

At least La Fonda and other places along the free road aren't losing business. How about the losses they are seeing at Baja Mar and La Salina. One year without tourists and others that don't physically live there could result in bankruptcy

Bob Durrell
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:49 PM

Right you are.

And the Salsipuedes leasing office can pretty much be dismantled. =)

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

At least La Fonda and other places along the free road aren't losing business. How about the losses they are seeing at Baja Mar and La Salina. One year without tourists and others that don't physically live there could result in bankruptcy
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
All that whale watching traffic you think is on the roads still funnels down to a 2 lane, south of Ensenada... This detour only funnels it a little sooner, so yes you have Ensenada only traffic along with the rest of the peninsula traffic. However, as I said... there is still another highway to Ensenada, that so many here like to use southbound: Hwy. 3 from Tecate!

Just saying... :rolleyes::biggrin:

Except that there is a major difference. There is a huge amount of both commercial and tourist traffic headed just to Ensenada. Much less traffic South of Ensenada.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:58 PM

Yes, very true... and why I had this part in my reply: "so yes you have Ensenada only traffic along with the rest of the peninsula traffic"

Have a GREAT new year HowOdd!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 06:21 PM

Just, got back this afternoon, After a week. This was my first time on free road,
Very nice out there. only took 15,20 extra, mins get to Otay Mesa crossing.
Only 30 min. wait.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Just, got back this afternoon, After a week. This was my first time on free road,
Very nice out there. only took 15,20 extra, mins get to Otay Mesa crossing.
Only 30 min. wait.

NICE! :bounce:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 05:51 PM

I think it's going to much like border crossing delays. It will depend on the day of the week and the time of the day.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 08:19 PM

We drove the Tecate road this morning. At 5am in the dark, we saw flashing lights coming our way. Had to pull to the side of the road to let two very large, very wide semis pass. Each one had a precast concrete GIANT I beam, heading south.

There was more big rig traffic on the road than we usually see.

(Crossed at 6:15. Took 2 min.)

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 08:25 AM
Free road from San Miguel Ensenada

Yesterday I drove the free road which starts just before the San Miguel toll booth. It's a dirt road for about 1-2 miles. Then it appears they have been doing some major road construction. All new pavement most of the way. Lots of Federal police and absolutely no passing allowed. After hitting the road we drove along a narrow road with a sheer sandy drop of about 200+ feet, no guard rails and it looks like the road may collapse with the first big rain storm. Then later closer to the La Fonda valley is the sheer cliffs. Saw remnants of a truck off to one side. Reminds one of driving to Santa Rosalia. The trucks have to slow down so as not to hit the sides of the cliff. Seems like we have substituted one dangerous road for another. Can't they make safer roads?! This can't possible be a permanent solution.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 01:23 PM
Troubled Baja Road Could Open by Summer

From the San Diego Union Tribune:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Jan/04/tp-troubled-baja-...

By Chris Nichols

"By summer, Mexican officials hope to reopen a troubled but popular toll road that funnels tourists to Baja California’s burgeoning wine country, an official with the state government said this week.

A portion of the Tijuana-to-Ensenada Scenic Road south of Rosarito Beach collapsed toward the sea in late December. Segments of pavement slid hundreds of feet down the steep sandstone cliffs upon which the corridor was built in the 1960s. No injuries were reported.

The closure of that stretch of toll road — the busiest highway in Baja California — comes amid the region’s fledgling tourism recovery. Business and government leaders said they’re publicizing alternate routes, and are hoping to have a temporary fix completed within half a year.

Still, the scale of the infrastructure damage has officials contemplating a long-term solution that could include diverting the road away from the treacherous Salsipuedes stretch of highway about 10 miles north of Ensenada, where the collapse took place, said Mariano Escobedo, director of international relations for the state government.

Before it closed, the toll road between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada handled an average of 8,000 vehicle trips per day, Escobedo said.

No details about repair plans or cost estimates were available this week, he said. Without ascribing blame, Escobedo also said the highway is owned and maintained by Mexico’s federal government.

“Natural causes” led to the collapse, he said, noting that a 4.6-magnitude earthquake on Dec. 19 south of Ensenada was likely a big contributor. He promised that repairs would start “as soon as possible,” though he couldn’t say whether sections of the road were still sinking.

Some are skeptical that an adequate fix, even a short-term one, can be made in six months. Others doubt the road can ever be safely reopened.

“Very frankly, that road should never have been built,” said Pat Abbott, a geology professor at San Diego State University who has studied the area in question.

Abbott said the decision to build along the fragile cliffs doomed the roadway. The seismic activity in that region doesn’t help, he said, but it wasn’t the main factor in the road’s deterioration.

"Gravity was", he said.

Decades of repairs

Problems with the Salsipuedes stretch have long been known.

Crews have repaired the highway for 25 to 30 years because of frequent landslides, said Hugo Torres, owner of the iconic Rosarito Beach Hotel and Resort and former mayor of Rosarito Beach.

“We have gotten used to the problem,” Torres said.

While he’s hopeful the roadway can be rebuilt by the summer and fall tourism seasons, he’s skeptical that six months is enough time. “It’s a major problem. I don’t think they can rebuild it in the same location,” he said.

His hotel recently sent out emails to 50,000 past customers, letting them know that all roads south from the United States to Rosarito Beach are still open. Most of his guests use the toll road to reach the Guadalupe Valley, a wine and culinary destination that’s gaining international renown.

Alternate routesThere are ways to reach Ensenada and points south from the San Diego region, though at least one alternate route is experiencing heavy back-ups.

San Diegans can still take the northern portion of the toll road hugging the coast through Tijuana and Rosarito Beach. But drivers must then veer inland and take the old “free road” near the town of La Mision, about 18 miles south of Rosarito Beach. It is a longer route that winds through several small towns and ranchlands.

Because the free road is now much busier, Escobedo said the federal government has recommended that commercial trucks use the federal highway from Tecate to Ensenada.

And while the toll road is closed near La Mision to drivers headed to Ensenada, Escobedo said travelers headed to towns well north of the collapsed area — including Punta Piedra, La Salina and Bajamar — are allowed to continue driving on the toll road to reach their destinations.
Tourism impact

It may be too early to say how much the road’s closure has affected regional tourism.

Torres said his hotel had no cancellations on New Year’s Eve. But he also said some Ensenada hotels lost anywhere from 3 percent to 7 percent of their guests during the holiday, likely due to the road closure.

Torres stressed that the road collapse presents “an image problem,” but that it can be overcome. He said his hotel plans to advertise in publications across Southern California that the hotel is accessible and open for business.

“I think the loyal customers will continue to drive down,” Torres said"

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 03:50 PM

Gravity!

Damn straight. Notice all the new black top in the fotos? They just dumped a chit load of new pavement 6 months ago.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
From the San Diego Union Tribune:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Jan/04/tp-troubled-baja-...

By Chris Nichols

"By summer, Mexican officials hope to reopen a troubled but popular toll road that funnels tourists to Baja California’s burgeoning wine country, an official with the state government said this week.

A portion of the Tijuana-to-Ensenada Scenic Road south of Rosarito Beach collapsed toward the sea in late December. Segments of pavement slid hundreds of feet down the steep sandstone cliffs upon which the corridor was built in the 1960s. No injuries were reported.

The closure of that stretch of toll road — the busiest highway in Baja California — comes amid the region’s fledgling tourism recovery. Business and government leaders said they’re publicizing alternate routes, and are hoping to have a temporary fix completed within half a year.

Still, the scale of the infrastructure damage has officials contemplating a long-term solution that could include diverting the road away from the treacherous Salsipuedes stretch of highway about 10 miles north of Ensenada, where the collapse took place, said Mariano Escobedo, director of international relations for the state government.

Before it closed, the toll road between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada handled an average of 8,000 vehicle trips per day, Escobedo said.

No details about repair plans or cost estimates were available this week, he said. Without ascribing blame, Escobedo also said the highway is owned and maintained by Mexico’s federal government.

“Natural causes” led to the collapse, he said, noting that a 4.6-magnitude earthquake on Dec. 19 south of Ensenada was likely a big contributor. He promised that repairs would start “as soon as possible,” though he couldn’t say whether sections of the road were still sinking.

Some are skeptical that an adequate fix, even a short-term one, can be made in six months. Others doubt the road can ever be safely reopened.

“Very frankly, that road should never have been built,” said Pat Abbott, a geology professor at San Diego State University who has studied the area in question.

Abbott said the decision to build along the fragile cliffs doomed the roadway. The seismic activity in that region doesn’t help, he said, but it wasn’t the main factor in the road’s deterioration.

"Gravity was", he said.

Decades of repairs

Problems with the Salsipuedes stretch have long been known.

Crews have repaired the highway for 25 to 30 years because of frequent landslides, said Hugo Torres, owner of the iconic Rosarito Beach Hotel and Resort and former mayor of Rosarito Beach.

“We have gotten used to the problem,” Torres said.

While he’s hopeful the roadway can be rebuilt by the summer and fall tourism seasons, he’s skeptical that six months is enough time. “It’s a major problem. I don’t think they can rebuild it in the same location,” he said.

His hotel recently sent out emails to 50,000 past customers, letting them know that all roads south from the United States to Rosarito Beach are still open. Most of his guests use the toll road to reach the Guadalupe Valley, a wine and culinary destination that’s gaining international renown.

Alternate routesThere are ways to reach Ensenada and points south from the San Diego region, though at least one alternate route is experiencing heavy back-ups.

San Diegans can still take the northern portion of the toll road hugging the coast through Tijuana and Rosarito Beach. But drivers must then veer inland and take the old “free road” near the town of La Mision, about 18 miles south of Rosarito Beach. It is a longer route that winds through several small towns and ranchlands.

Because the free road is now much busier, Escobedo said the federal government has recommended that commercial trucks use the federal highway from Tecate to Ensenada.

And while the toll road is closed near La Mision to drivers headed to Ensenada, Escobedo said travelers headed to towns well north of the collapsed area — including Punta Piedra, La Salina and Bajamar — are allowed to continue driving on the toll road to reach their destinations.
Tourism impact

It may be too early to say how much the road’s closure has affected regional tourism.

Torres said his hotel had no cancellations on New Year’s Eve. But he also said some Ensenada hotels lost anywhere from 3 percent to 7 percent of their guests during the holiday, likely due to the road closure.

Torres stressed that the road collapse presents “an image problem,” but that it can be overcome. He said his hotel plans to advertise in publications across Southern California that the hotel is accessible and open for business.

“I think the loyal customers will continue to drive down,” Torres said"

What the article says is "[they] are hoping to have a temporary fix completed within half a year."
That temporary fix would be the proposed connector from a point on the toll road north of the Salsipuedes stretch and the existing free road above it (point A to B on the picture below).

That connector would reduce the required north bound travel distance on the free road, coming from Ensenada, from about 25 miles down to about 8 miles.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/durrellrobert/A-B_zp...

Bob Durrell
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 05:26 PM

I like pictures ... should work :):)

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris
Yesterday I drove the free road which starts just before the San Miguel toll booth. It's a dirt road for about 1-2 miles.

All paved as of tonight. Still need to get some paint striping down, but it's brand new asphalt now.

Went through (northbound) tonight about 7:30pm - from San Miguel to Hotel La Fonda. Quite a bit of congestion southbound - many lines of slow-moving vehicles, 20 or more cars in length. The northbound vehicles were passing when/where possible between groups of slow-moving southbound folks.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
lasalinagary

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 12:44 PM
Business's Open

It was incorrectly reported that business's south of La Mision on the toll road may be closed, (La Salina) for winter. This is not true. If you want to go to Baja Mar or La Salina you just need to tell the police or Hwy workers where you are going and they will let you through. For obvious reasons they must ask you so that some unsuspecting driver doesn't try to drive all the way to Ensenada on the toll road. You don't need anything to prove you live there.:saint:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 03:12 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like they have presented a plan to keep the same toll-highway (1D) path along the coast, but would lower the road height for a kilometer or more in that section.

The estimate with this plan is 7 months to re-open the road from La Mision to Ensenada.

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2014/1/14/repararan-tramo-abr...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.