BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9  
Author: Subject: going to Guerrero Negro...should be an eventful trip!
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
midwifery...
seems to me i'd let the trained pros - i.e. physicians, do what they do best and that be consider all outcomes and direct coursing based on that.

if they thought a C section to be best for all then that's the direction to take, no?

what does a mid wife do when things get dicey? i dunno except that if they are not LPNs or RNs or NPs or even PAs they can get stuck - it is a nobel approach when there is no local hospital - but they were IN a hospital right?

Actually, a midwife is an RN, with the bare minimum of 2 years of nursing experience. I believe what Sirena was thinking of (and myself as I had the same thought) was becoming a Doula "A doula is a professional who provides emotional, informational, physical, and practical support for the expectant, laboring, or postpartum mother. A birth doula specializes in supporting the mother during labor."
This is a certification that does not require a nursing degree and is an assistant during the birth process.

And, even doctors jump the gun, but it appears as though they made the right choice in regards to Sirena and Izaak.

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:29 AM

Wow ! What a wonderful picture of Sirena and Issak. Sure brings back alot of memories. I can tell already that you are going to be an awesome nana.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:30 AM

I wanted to wait for Shari's post that all was well with everyone before sending my CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm happy for the new family and my prayers go out for a speedy return home on a smooth road.
Hope to see you all some time in Oct.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:34 AM

Sirena, Adrian, Shari and Juan....
Babies are postcards from the goddess.
What a lovely one was delivered to you! Congratulations!

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
midwifery...
seems to me i'd let the trained pros - i.e. physicians, do what they do best and that be consider all outcomes and direct coursing based on that.

if they thought a C section to be best for all then that's the direction to take, no?

what does a mid wife do when things get dicey? i dunno except that if they are not LPNs or RNs or NPs or even PAs they can get stuck - it is a nobel approach when there is no local hospital - but they were IN a hospital right?

Modern midwifery is a professional designation and is regulated in US & Canada. Today's midwives must meet clinical and educational requirements to qualify to practice. Some midwives are even male.Professional roles and scope of practice are continuously being reviewed and refined and some of this is legislated. Hospital services are delivered by teams made up of a vast number of people with special skills and knowledge - right from the cleaning staff to the CEO, because sometimes the physician doesn't know what to do either. All types of Health care providers are required to know what to do and when to consult. Sorry for the rant.

It sounds like a calling and I say go for it!

Cheers,
w, RN, BN, MN

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:00 AM

Let me also add my heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS.. That's a handsome little boy !!!So glad all turned out good..
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:15 AM

Whoa, who would have guessed that was going to happen. In the end, just so glad that Ya'all are past the rough spots and everything came out o.k., sounds like it was a truly frighting experience, I can completely understand your reaction, it will take a few days and some tears to settle your nerves and get back on track.

Hopefully very soon you will all be home where you belong and life will go on with much joy for the whole family. Izaak is going to Love growing up in his new home by the Sea, now that he is here I expect he has a great life ahead for him.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:16 AM

Especially for Izaak;

Welcome to this the wonder of a little Planet Izaak, may you enjoy with gusto the adventure you have now set out on, may your path be long and diverse, Your going to love it here!
b1
Junior Nomad

Mood: Kicked it in neutral; hang'n cool.

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:50 AM

Thank the Lord for trained professionals and that Mother and baby are fine! Hope to meet them and Shari et. al. in February.

I do know a tiny bit about modern midwifery training and education. My oldest daughter is in a midwifery program in Austrialia. She already has a Masters Degree in Public Health from George Washington University in D.C. Spent 4 1/2 years in public health in Ethiopia in the field with an emphasis on maternal mortality. Now in the 3rd year of a 3 year midwife program. Started with 40 students and now down to about 16. Graduates in about 9 months. The degree encompasses a lot of work, education, and clinical experience.

Shari, hope to see You guys net spring. b1

When the winds turn white in Idaho, it\'s my time to visit the banana trees of Baja.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:16 AM
Sirena and Adrian

Congrats on your new big, healthy and beautiful boy.

And Sirena, we are very glad you were in the hospital when you developed preclampsia. The hospital is the only place to be! Midwifes and alternative birthing places are great, as long as everyone recognizes if heading for the hospital is required.

More often preclampsia develops earlier and requires an early delivery----but to develop it at the end or after the birth, as you already know, it is STILL a very serious thing----so don't rush things. You are probably anxious to get out of the hospital, but stay put until they are sure it is all OK! Baby just wants to be with you and won't care if you are there extra days.

Best of luck to the three of you!

John and Diane

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:32 AM

Such sweet pictures of Izaak and his lovely mom! Congratulations Sirena and Adrian, and to Shari, and Juan as proud grandparents~~

Sirena, I think it's amazing how you kept the Nomads informed with your upbeat messages so long into the whole marathon birth event. I just read it all this morning, had no idea all this was going on. I'm so glad that you are OK! You're gonna be a great mother to your beautiful little guy. Don and I met you once a few years ago in GN, hope this will be the year we finally get to Asuncion and meet the rest of the family too.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 10:09 AM

So very, very happy to hear that Izaak is here and mom and baby are safe and well. Wishing you all the very best and thanks for sharing this important passage in life with us all.

All our love...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post last night, Shari... and that is a great photo of your daughter and grandson... really, really good to see them!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 06:25 PM

All our lovin'

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:24 PM

So glad all the family is doing well!
I hope everyone can get back home soon and relax!
See ya in a couple of weeks
Doug
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:39 PM

Congrats to all and boy what a beautiful boy .... the picture was on facebook first and what a pretty momma !!! Glad all is well Shari - one can feel the excitement in your writing !!
Viva Sirena
Viva Izaak
Viva Adrian
Viva Abuelita

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 08:32 AM

Shelley and I are absolutely overjoyed for all of you! Congrats and tons of love and abrazos sent your way. We've been sooo busy getting the 5th wheel ready for our trip down. Yesterday I picked up a truckload of more prosthetic/orthotic components and other supplies I'll be needing at our La Paz clinic. I have to box all of it up and drop it off at a shipping company in Otay Mesa next week. Hopefully we'll be seeing all of you very soon. Much love, Paul and Shelley

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 09:17 AM

Izaak is very handsome! We look forward to meeting him in November.
Congratulations to the entire family.

•Life is just one damned thing after another
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 05:56 PM

Thank god all is well and you have a beautiful baby and healthy daughter!! We are absolutely delighted here and can't wait to see you all.

The circumstances around this birth make this child that more special.

Abrazos Forte all around.

Love,

Mr&Mrsfish
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 06:23 PM
From Guerrero Negro, ITS SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!!!

Just spoke with Shari.

She and Sirena both send their love and gratitude to everyone for your good thoughts and well-wishes.

Shari's with Sirena and Izaak 24/7 in the hospital and working hard. This grandmama business, well she's really steppin' up, or laying down to it as the case may be! Poor woman's sleeping on the floor of Sirena's hospital room, gaaghhh!-- and that's the good news! The bad news is she isn't sleeping!! No wonder, poor woman. She's getting on well and says she has an in with the security guard who lets her sneak visitors with food in for her regardless of visiting hours. That's our Shari, everybody's friend.

Sirena continues to rest and improve daily. Such a sweet, delicate little wisp of a woman, she, wise beyond her years. She's becoming a wonderful mother.

Izaak was breaking into song while Shari & I were on the phone. He's got a lusty alto voice, what a guy!

Adrian is home and has the Tidepool Bistro open, El Tidepool as its known to the locals. On the menu tonight is hamburguesas with scrummy french fries, his killer smoked Bonita fried sushi rolls, and his made-to-order-to-your-specs Pizza with handmade whole wheat crust. The Tidepool now serves beer & wine and margaritas. Gosh I must be hungry. I gotta get over there...

Again, Shari & Sirena send their love to all (from me, too).

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.