Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps he's choosing the pavement/ newly graded roadbed because of the stroller he is pushing. (I am assuming that the new roadbed is a better surface than the detour/old road) That said, they are about to run out of the new alignment. I'm sure they will be replacing the stroller with a better suited vehicle for the job (not many babies in strollers weigh 80#'s).

:lol::lol::lol:

Ken

I believe you may be right! I'd totally forgotten about the stroller!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
At this location, north of Okie's Landing since 10 am:

They are still here since before 10 am, now 5:45 pm.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 06:22 PM
Stroller

Good point, Ken.

Unless they solve the problem of the stroller they may not go much further. Since he can't carry his belongings and since the stroller is useless on the gravel road that is just coming up, they have to come up with a different solution.

I checked the net for all terrain strollers and found them to be really expensive and not suitable for baja. The ones with inflatable tires seemed to be most promising. But pushing something like that along baja's washboards makes the trip much harder.

http://joggingstroller.com/2169/featured/schwinn-m3-double-j...

Perhaps they've thought of a solution by now. I'm curious. Perhaps their supply vehicle should carry everything but water. There are these hydration packs that sit comfortably. A gallon weighs 8lbs. Surely he can carry 16lbs on his back.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 06:08 AM

Hmmm ..... Whats up?

They walked until 9:40am on Fri and made camp.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like they took a ride to Gonzaga.

Medical? Supplies? (hope everyone is OK)

Then, they hit the trail at 3am today.

Keep up the great work team!

No worries
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Hmmm ..... Whats up?

according to spot, they took a long car ride between yesterdays camp spot and this mornings beginning of walk. i guess the walk is over, they drove their first section -- and it wasn't a spot mistake, that was a large gap, larger than their average daily walk.
sad to see them give up so soon, but probably sane decision given the heat.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Hmmm ..... Whats up?

according to spot, they took a long car ride between yesterdays camp spot and this mornings beginning of walk. i guess the walk is over, they drove their first section -- and it wasn't a spot mistake, that was a large gap, larger than their average daily walk.
sad to see them give up so soon, but probably sane decision given the heat.

Would be nice if their website would do some updates, none yet since they started.

Yea, it was a 20 mile gap from their campsite into Gonzaga that transmitted at 3 am, then an hour later their back on the road southbound. ???????
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:18 AM

From yesterdays last check in then this mornings 3am check in is 22.9 miles. Then the 4:41am track back to the road was 2.4 miles. Now they are back to the normal intervals. Is there internet in Gonzaga? Would be nice to hear from the hikers, they did check in here once.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:40 AM

I thought it was gonna take them 2 1/2 days of walking to get to alphonsinas. Problem solved. I guess the felt they were just falling too far off schedule.

Let's see where they turn after Coco's (2-3 days from now).
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I thought it was gonna take them 2 1/2 days of walking to get to alphonsinas. Problem solved. I guess the felt they were just falling too far off schedule.

the adventure challenge aspect is gone. they are "cheating" -- no longer should anyone consider it a "challenge"
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

the adventure challenge aspect is gone. they are "cheating" -- no longer should anyone consider it a "challenge"

They've been cheating on other days as well, with little 3-5 mile "hops" between the end of the previous day and the beginning of the next. Maybe they figured what the heck 20 miles is "only" 1% of the challenge, it's not that big of a deal....... :rolleyes:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Quote:

They've been cheating on other days as well, with little 3-5 mile "hops" between the end of the previous day and the beginning of the next. Maybe they figured what the heck 20 miles is "only" 1% of the challenge, it's not that big of a deal....... :rolleyes:

what a scam and a sham.
are they hitchhiking?
or do they have an RV sag wagon for rides and hotel-style camping?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:43 AM

I knew this thread would head south sooner or later....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:47 AM

Well, maybe they will walk 2000 miles in 100 days, and ride in a car any other miles... Graham said his coastal walk was 3000 miles (following the coastline, with only a couple exceptions). Since this couple is using roads to walk around Baja, at least they have a support vehicle or they are hitch hiking some parts?

Just now:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:54 AM

So is it impossible that they walked during the night and that the tracking after the 24 hours turned off automatically, they forgot to turn it back on and so it just didn't track that part? They have support in that area maybe someone took their packs so they could move faster. I've walked 21 miles in 5 hours before. They seem so dedicated it just seems hard to believe they would take a ride. I mean that would defeat their whole purpose. I'll wait to find out before I pass judgement.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 08:58 AM

I don't think they're cheating. Although I can see how you would think that. It all depends on what you define as doing it the right way.

If the only correct journey is one that is totally unaided, then it still hasn't been done. Neither Graham nor the man with the burro did it. Yet they're still accomplishments due to the difficulty involved and the tenacity required.

These people are redefining their goals as they go along based upon what they're encountering. I can't remember if Graham's decision to break up his trip into time periods was done at the start of the trip or was the result of the heat encountered.

For those who pooh-pooh this endeaver: you try to do it.

----------------------------

Basically, it is what it is. You start with certain intentions and you are forced to modify them. At the end you are left with something you've done. Some will admire it and some won't. Not every journey is Lindberg crossing the Atlantic.

[Edited on 5-19-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 09:05 AM

well it didnt take long, for this to unravel

like I said earlier, just to hot to try at the pace that they wanted to

Graham was right the only way possible was on the other coast
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think they're cheating. Although I can see how you would think that. It all depends on what you define as doing it the right way.

If the only correct journey is one that is totally unaided, then it still hasn't been done. Neither Graham nor the man with the burro did it. Yet they're still accomplishments due to the difficulty involved and the tenacity required.

These people are redefining their goals as they go along based upon what they're encountering. I can't remember if Graham's decision to break up his trip into time periods was done at the start of the trip or was the result of the heat encountered.

Any adventure in Baja is worthy... as I said, they may walk 2000 miles, and just take rides the rest of the total miles (as it may easily be more than 2000).

The man with the burro (Mike Younghusband) did get a couple car rides (kidnapped almost)... from Vizcaino to Asuncion and from Constitucion to Lopez Mateos. It was no secret and they were both rides to points west, didn't take away from the south movement walk.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 09:06 AM

Quote:

they said they were going to walk, called it a challenge. i consider logistical support fair, but getting car rides eliminates the challenge, makes it something else, not sure what you should call it...

but no longer as interesting, they set a challenge of self-propelling themselves, now they are driving,... really much less interesting to follow along as an arm chair traveler.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 09:13 AM

Walk Dates:
•San Felipe – Sat, May 12
•Puertecitos – Mon, May 14
•Gonzaga Bay – Wed, May 16
•Mision de Calamajue – Fri, May 18
•Bahia de los Angeles – Mon, May 21
•San Ignacio – Tues, May 29
•Santa Rosalia- Thurs, June 1
•Mulege – Sun, June 3
•Loreto – Thurs/Fri, June 7/8
•La Paz – Thurs/Fri, June 21/22
•Los Barriles – Mon, June 25
•San Jose del Cabo – Fri, June 29
•Cabo San Lucas – Sat, June 30
•Todos Santos – Mon, July 2
•Bahia de Magdalena – Mon/Tues, July 9/10
•Laguna San Ignacio – Fri/Sat/Sun July 20/21/22
•Guerrero Negro – Fri, July 27
•Santa Rosalillita – Tues, July 31
•(El Rosario) – Thurs, Aug 9
•San Quintin – Sat, Aug 11
•Ensenada – Thurs/Fri, Aug 16/17
•Puerto Nuevo - Click-On, Sun, Aug 19

WELL... they are keeping to their schedule... It will be interesting to see IF they do indeed go to Calamajue mission or out to Chapala instead (depends if their support vehicle is 4WD or not, I would think).

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The man with the burro (Mike Younghusband) did get a couple car rides (kidnapped almost)... from Vizcaino to Asuncion and from Constitucion to Lopez Mateos. It was no secret and they were both rides to points west, didn't take away from the south movement walk.

Yes, but he didn't follow the coast as strictly as Graham. He was always on dirt roads. So you could argue that it was less of an accomplishment due to the degree of difficulty.

In fact, his journey was the easiest of the three in my opinion.

Instead of treating a hike in the heat as an act of stupidity I could just as easily treat it as an accomplishment and give them a lot of points for walking as far as they have in 100 degree weather.

So cheating and succes or failure is all how you define it. And, I would argue, it should be defined at the end of the journey.

Also, don't forget that the whole purpose of this is to get charity money. The only failure is if money is not garnered.
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.