BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: MEX water supply getting bad.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2024 at 06:45 AM
MEX water supply getting bad.

NYT article here.
Last year we visited MEX and stayed in the Coyoacan and did not experience any rationing. Interesting that the city is the largest market of bottled water in the world.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-23-2024 at 11:16 AM
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2024 at 12:42 PM

This is happening all over Mexico and many other places in the world. The days of leaving the water running while you are brushing your teeth, flushing the toilet every time you have a little tinkle, and taking long luxurious showers are over.

Municipal wells started to get low in my town in early March. The pipa water trucks are doing a booming business.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-23-2024 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
This is happening all over Mexico and many other places in the world. The days of leaving the water running while you are brushing your teeth, flushing the toilet every time you have a little tinkle, and taking long luxurious showers are over.

Municipal wells started to get low in my town in early March. The pipa water trucks are doing a booming business.

There are solutions for individuals already available, and the costs continue to decline. Recycling used water as RFClark does if you plan carefully when you build, capturing all AC condensate and in addition the Atmospheric Water Generators that can be run on cheap CFE power or solar power at less than 350w per liter of drinkable water.

Here is one available in Mexico that I have not yet seen any reliable reviews of:
https://www.innovaqua.shop/products/nube

More advanced engineering is presently being exerted on very low power demand atmospheric generators which use moisture capture copied from nature. If you are on the pacific coast of Baja you are enjoying very high relative humidity, especially at night along with warmer temperatures which enhance the output of any atmospheric generation.

[Edited on 5-24-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2024 at 10:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

There are solutions for individuals already available, and the costs continue to decline. Recycling used water as RFClark does if you plan carefully when you build, capturing all AC condensate and in addition the Atmospheric Water Generators that can be run on cheap CFE power or solar power at less than 350w per liter of drinkable water.

Here is one available in Mexico that I have not yet seen any reliable reviews of:
https://www.innovaqua.shop/products/nube

More advanced engineering is presently being exerted on very low power demand atmospheric generators which use moisture capture copied from nature. If you are on the pacific coast of Baja you are enjoying very high relative humidity, especially at night along with warmer temperatures which enhance the output of any atmospheric generation.

>40% of people in DF live in poverty. They aint going to be capturing water from fog in their apartment or shack…
The water solutions for the upper class in their vacation and retirement homes are not practical for the urban masses and teeming poor.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 03:58 AM

That's why recycling of waste water becomes so important along with reducing demand. Continuing to buy bottled drinking water is a more expensive solution than water generators, not to mention the plastics pollution as a by product.

I see little sign the state and municipal water suppliers will ever get on top of this growing problem of over use and depleting aquifers, so its up to individuals as usual to solve it themselves.

Our air conditioners produced about 25 liters a day of condensate running in the lowest humidity periods daily. It pained me to see the discharges most commonly dumped unused into the ground when it could have been easily used for non-potable use in the home.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 09:45 AM

I think you missed Goat's point. "It's up to individuals"- as pointed out, the individuals who have the means and knowledge to employ these solutions are not the majority of the population.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 10:24 AM

Do you see a lot of potable water freely supplied to the poorest people in your area from the local suppliers? Where i lived, they paid about 1.5 to 2 pesos per liter to have it delivered to them as they had no transportation to swap and refill their garafons.
Bulk non-potable water deliveries were somewhat cheaper, but unreliable due to shortages.
It just happened our family had free CFE power, so we installed an AC unit and plumbed it to supply free non-potable supply to a collection tank for household use. Instead of running wasteful fans that create additional heat, they now have cooler temps in summer and additional water as a byproduct.
This Christmas our intent is to supply an atmospheric water generator to provide them with a potable water generator. The search is on for the most practical one.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 12:05 PM

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. No one receives garafon drinking water for free. The issue isn't potable water- people can always boil water to make it safe to drink. The issue is no water, for anything. And the majority of Mexicans can't afford to buy and install an AC unit, so using one to supply "free" non-potable water is a non-starter.

I'm not taking exception to your solutions- it's great that you are doing this, but you seem to be proposing it as a solution that all individuals could do, which isn't the case. Not sure how your family has free CFE electricity, but most people don't get free electricity, and even if one generates their own power with solar, the solar installation is expensive to start with.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 02:45 PM

My point is simply this: The government is not interested in solving the water shortage issue using the most inexpensive and non-polluting solutions available, rather they are interested in continuing explosive development as a source of income from taxes applied to foreigners who build more homes.
If we can acknowledge this, we as individuals are left to find the solutions we can afford, whether its cutting back on waste, capturing and using what little rainwater is available or finding the least expensive way of providing our own. Waiting for or expecting government to supply the solutions is a false hope.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2024 at 04:10 PM

Unchecked development, complete with swimming pools, when municipalities can't provide enough water for average residents to shower and flush their toilets, is of course crazy and verges on criminal.. And I agree that we can't rely on govt. to solve these problems, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be continually pressured to do so.

FYI, it isn't just foreigners who are building more homes. I see just as many middle and upper class Mexicans building vacation and rental homes and hotels in my area as foreigners. These class and have and have not problems exist in Mexico regardless of the presence of foreigners.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 12:49 PM

Conagua as the controlling interest in not only water in Mexico but the sand and gravel used in construction bears responsibility for both overbuilding and underdevelopment of adequate water resources in Mexico. Conagua also controls the development of seawater RO processing which could supply much needed clean water in much of Mexico. It is a part of the problem, it should be a part of the solution.

Generally, Mexico has failed to invest as much in all sorts of infrastructure as is necessary. You can blame “the Tourists” but prior to tourism the Mexican population lived in general poverty! Open Wells, outhouses, no electricity, disease! Things only improved in much of Mexico after the tourists arrived.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 07:07 PM

No kidding, a huge amount of money flows into Baja from tourists or immigrants. The problem is, very little of that flows out to infrastucture needed to support it. A whole lot of wealthy Mexicans tho have become far more wealthy. So the answer? Supply your own infrastructure as was done in Pedegral in Cabo, build your own water generation plants and don't expect the governments to do it. This will and is generating resentment tho in the locals as they watch their cheap accessible natural resources pulled away from them. I would have to suggest lacking the basic necessity of water is the new growing poverty Baja is faced with.
Every few years a lot of political hot air is wasted on the needed solutions, but the water shortages due to depleting aquifers continue to grow. As Surabi says, the poorest people living on Ejidos can hardly afford to fix this one.

[Edited on 5-26-2024 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 07:49 PM

I was amazed in the short time I was there to see the explosive growth around Todos Santos. How many of those new developments are required to provide their own water supplies and or waste treatment? Once again, the increasing water crisis of the area aquifers is constantly discussed, but next to nothing is actually done. If California with all its wealth can't fix this one, how do we expect Baja to?

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 10:41 PM

Todos Santos residents are currently fighting a new PUD to be imposed on them by La Paz that will allow a drastic increase in the population of Todos Santos. See the link below. Water is a major part of the disagreement regarding the new plan. See below.

No risk Assessments: Population growth was not based on current and accurate federally mandated assessments of water, electrical infrastructure, sewage, waste disposal and other services the new population will require.

No infrastructure investment: There is no tangible commitment to improving existing infrastructure to support their aggressive population growth and need for additional public safety, schools, health care facilities, paved roads, parks and public spaces.

Housing Type: La Paz PDU allows condos and Airbnb type development throughout the region, unlike the Todos Santos PDU, which restricted multi-family housing to urban areas.

Construction Coverage and Building Heights: The new plan significantly increases the allowable construction coverage, reducing natural areas between residences and allows additional levels of construction plus rooftop shade structures.

Smaller Lots and Higher Density: The plan significantly reduces the minimum lot sizes and increases the number of lots from 7,000 under the current PDU to 47,000 under the proposed PDU.

https://www.protecttodossantos.org/the-proposed-new-pdu
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 11:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Todos Santos residents are currently fighting a new PUD to be imposed on them by La Paz that will allow a drastic increase in the population of Todos Santos. See the link below. Water is a major part of the disagreement regarding the new plan. See below.

No risk Assessments: Population growth was not based on current and accurate federally mandated assessments of water, electrical infrastructure, sewage, waste disposal and other services the new population will require.

No infrastructure investment: There is no tangible commitment to improving existing infrastructure to support their aggressive population growth and need for additional public safety, schools, health care facilities, paved roads, parks and public spaces.

Housing Type: La Paz PDU allows condos and Airbnb type development throughout the region, unlike the Todos Santos PDU, which restricted multi-family housing to urban areas.

Construction Coverage and Building Heights: The new plan significantly increases the allowable construction coverage, reducing natural areas between residences and allows additional levels of construction plus rooftop shade structures.

Smaller Lots and Higher Density: The plan significantly reduces the minimum lot sizes and increases the number of lots from 7,000 under the current PDU to 47,000 under the proposed PDU.

https://www.protecttodossantos.org/the-proposed-new-pdu

Yes i had been made aware of a lot of that through my news sources. I also noted massive changes ignoring supposed beach travel restrictions by vehicles in Los Barilles and also in La Ventana in just the 4 years since my earllier visits. Like i said earlier it is up to individuals like yourself to derive your own solutions. Seems to me you are already 2/3 there. Hope you can continue the good work you have accomplished til now.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-25-2024 at 11:47 PM

This might be a pipe dream, but maybe not:
https://canadiangeographic.ca/articles/the-canadian-innovati...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2024 at 08:26 AM

From the news article:

"leaks have caused an estimated 35 percent water loss"

High-tech solutions are interesting, but the first step should be the very low-tech task of fixing the leaks. It may be all that is needed.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2024 at 10:04 AM

As unrealistic as it may appear, but I believe anyone building a home in the Baja we all cherish, should do what they can to be completely independent of electric and water suppliers.

That is the first time I have ever used 'the Baja' term, but somehow it is appropriate in this instance. haha

When I built on the East Cape over thirty years ago, I made sure I had my own electrical generation and water capture and storage with under the floor water tanks.

I knew where the water trucks got their water and wanted nothing to do with that source. My roof drained rain into two tanks for an 18,000 gallon capacity. They were built with concrete blocks and covered with the only two part epoxy sealer at the time that was approved for drinking water storage.

If we can find a way to rely upon our home designs to remain as independent as we can, it has to be the best avenue for anyone to show respect for Mother Nature.

Good on those who do, even if not completely independent of provided energy and water sources. At the time, that was the only choice since no municipal entities made their way out to where I was.

I cannot help but want to honor those who gave their all for all of us.

surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2024 at 10:07 AM

Underground water tanks, if it wasn't made clear.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2024 at 11:41 AM

Leaks are definitely a big problem in Mexico. I see water running onto the street all the time from something as simple as a hose needing a rubber washer.

There is a property near me that has an illegal water connection. No one lives there, the municipality keeps disconnecting their line, then they just hook it back up again.
A couple weeks ago there was water spewing out of their long hose that had a score of leaks, "fixed" with P-nche pieces of electrical tape, and their water barrel was overflowing because the funky old float in it doesn't work. There was enough water running down the street to do me for a week. This has happened several times before.

There was no one at the property and I closed their valve, whichthey hid in the weeds, and sent photos to the water company. They must have done something, because it hasn't happened again since then.

I also talked to the guy whose family owns that land and leases it to the horse guys. He runs the local Prisa Paint store and I happened to be buying paint. He's a good guy and thanked me for telling him. He confirmed that they have an illegal connection, that his family cancelled the water contract for that property years ago and that he would read those horse guys the riot act.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.