Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I'm in need of advice.
Buckaroo

[*] posted on 5-27-2024 at 08:25 PM
I'm in need of advice.

Hello ya'll,

My problem is that I have a 180 day FMM That expired 37 days ago. My plan was to get a Temporary Residence Visa with that expired FMM. Now the plan has changed. I spoke with INM about it. And they advised me just leave the country. OK great. I saw a story recently about a couple of kids who were vanlife'n it and drove down to Yucatan without understanding that they needed the TIP for their van. And when they were heading back to USA to make their border run on their FMMs, they got stopped at an ADUANA checkpoint and their van was taken from them for having an illegal vehicle in Mexico.

I've been researching for days now, and I haven't found a definitive answer for my situation. I called different numbers to my Mexican auto insurance company all day today. Couldn't get through to anyone. Didn't get a call back.

My question is basically will there be any immigration checkpoints that will ask for my FMM heading north? Will having an expired FMM mean that my vehicle is illegally in Baja and subject to seizure? Does having an expired FMM mean that my Mexican auto insurance is void then? Therefore subjecting me to possible seizure of my vehicle? And if I get into an accident on the way back with that void insurance will I be thrown into prison?

As a younger man I might have just used my best judgement, and made a drive for the border. And kept a few peso notes in case morditas are needed and take the risk.

We're needing to leave. Do I fly to Tijuana, make a border run to San Ysidro? Fly back with a fresh FMM just to make the drive north out of the country? Getting the Temporary Residency Visa is no longer the plan. I just need to get out of dodge safely and I don't have a lot of time.

I'm sorry I needed to edit this. The gossips I've managed to make contact with (off of this forum, no offense to anyone here), they're too much. I wanted to leave this though in case it helps someone in need of answers like I was
[Edited on 6-4-2024 by Buckaroo]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-27-2024 at 08:41 PM

Don't worry about the expired FMM, and you do not need a TIP in Baja.

Good luck on your run north and treatments when you get there. Even if your destination is Southern Cal, I recommend taking MX 5 on the way back.

Do you have a US destination in mind?

[Edited on 5-28-2024 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2024 at 09:44 PM

Probably the kids were on the mainland and not in Baja, so I second what AKgringo said.

And no worries about the FMM at all. You will not see immigration until you hhit the USA and have to show your American documents.

Sorry about your diagnosis and think outside the box and head towards anywhere you may have cousins, or other extended family. Many times in the States, they will not let you leave a clinic/hospital without someone being with you.

Best of luck and hope Baja took good care of you while you were there.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2024 at 10:58 PM

As far as getting in an accident and having your vehicle impounded and going to jail, that has nothing to do with your auto insurance or FMM. If you get in a major accident in Mexico where people get injured, your vehicle will likely be impounded and the drivers taken to jail pending some investigation regardless. A minor fender bender is best dealt with by just giving some appropriate amount of cash for repairs to the other driver if you were obviously at fault, as you probably don't want to spend time dealing with your insurance at this point, you just want to get back to the US ASAP.

Just drive carefully, don't be in a rush. Relax, take care, don't worry.
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 07:29 AM

I agree. Best wishes.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 08:19 AM

I thought I was terminal. Listen to your doctors and go through the drill.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 09:27 AM

I agree with others; just head back to the border. I drove north last month and there were some large pot holes. Watch out for them.

Post here and the Talk Baja Facebook group if any issues arise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 10:25 AM

I would be curious to know if anyone reading this has ever been asked for an FMM in Baja. If so, where and when?

I have never had anyone even ask, let alone actually look at it. The one time I tried to turn one in on exiting, the agent just tossed it without doing anything else.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would be curious to know if anyone reading this has ever been asked for an FMM in Baja. If so, where and when?

I have never had anyone even ask, let alone actually look at it. The one time I tried to turn one in on exiting, the agent just tossed it without doing anything else.

I have been required to show my FMM at two points in the last month, in Baja. At two police/military checkpoints, one on Highway 1 not too far north of Guerrero Negro, and the other not too far north of San Ignacio, also on Highway 1. At both checkpoints my FMM was examined and photographed by an agent. I was traveling by public bus, and at both checkpoints all passengers were required to exit the bus and have their baggage and ID's checked.

I don't turn in my 180 day FMM when leaving Baja for the States by land. No one has ever asked for it. As well, if there is time left on the FMM I can use it on my next trip, if it falls within the period of the FMM's validity.

[Edited on 5-28-2024 by cupcake]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 12:39 PM

Good council above. Best wishes, keep a positive outcome as your intention.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 02:58 PM

Been asked one time in 60 years. About 20 years ago around Camalu. Impromptu checkpoint, guy in a suit checked paper, asked questions, that was it.

Doesn't mean it won't happen with more frequency.

Buckaroo: don't over think the expired FMM. Get out of Dodge.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 04:25 PM

The only times I'm been asked for the FMM is when at a government offices to get some other paper work like a TIP or at a marina to get a boat slip.

Their van was impounded for not having an import permit. Baja and parts of Sonora do not require an import permit. The rest of Mexico does. This has been a very well known thing for a long time.

[Edited on 5-29-2024 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 04:44 PM

March 1 2024

FMM checks.png - 185kB

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 05:01 PM

That is interesting! The post was dated March 1, and I traveled through both those checkpoints going south, and north since then and was not asked for any type of ID.

Buckaroo

[*] posted on 5-28-2024 at 09:53 PM

Thank you kindly for your responses. I'm heading back to Nevada. Mexico has been a great experience. The people have been warm and kind to me and my dog. Going back to the US is like returning somewhere I've already escaped from. I'll be spending my remaining time off the grid, and away from any chaos. Good luck in beautiful Baja. I'll post an update when we land safely. I'm one of the lucky ones and it's been a hell of an adventure. Think outside the box, I like it.

BoenBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2024 at 07:40 AM

I’m not an overly optimistic person, but getting a terminal diagnosis in Mexico does not necessarily equate to not finding a cure in the US. Best of luck in all that you do.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-29-2024 at 07:45 AM

Well I am close to Nevada, in Nevada County California. If you are headed for northern Nevada on !-80, you will pass within a half hour drive of my property between Grass Valley and Colfax.

It is off grid, with a couple of ponds and lots of shade trees. You and your dog would be welcome to spend some time there, but it is far from any medical treatment centers.

By the way, your profile says you were born in 1924, which I am guessing is a misprint.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2024 at 04:39 PM

Well I am close to Nevada, in Nevada County California. If you are headed for northern Nevada on !-80, you will pass within a half hour drive of my property between Grass Valley and Colfax.

It is off grid, with a couple of ponds and lots of shade trees. You and your dog would be welcome to spend some time there, but it is far from any medical treatment centers.

By the way, your profile says you were born in 1924, which I am guessing is a misprint.

Good man. :thumbup::thumbup:

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-3-2024 at 03:23 PM
Buckaroo, any updates?

If you happen to see this, check your U2U box for additional contact info.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.